advertisement

The runners' thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it was a tough one. The water was quite warm (relatively speaking) due to the gradual sand underneath. I think that photo was taken the first time around the boy. And I didn't mis-spell that. It was one of the 'friends of the organiser' resplendent in a big pink flamingo inflatable. We had to make sure we ran right around him whilst he took the piss :)

Time for serious focus now, though: the Fort William Marathon is this coming Sunday. I'd be lying if I said I felt confident. I think I'm going to abandon any notion of sub-four and look to hang in at roughly 6min/KM pace as steady as I can. I've started with my hydration, magnesium and potassium tablets, magnesium spray and the eating of bananas. Carb loading is a given. I've even sized up to bigger running shoes. Serious.

Sorry to hear about everyone's niggles by the way - I've been too wrapped up in myself to read all of the posts, which is bad. Bad John. After this coming weekend, I'm going to enjoy a (brief) period of recovery before I start to focus once more for Marathon #4 of 2018: The Dramathon....... but that's not until the end of October, so thinking: two weeks off after Sunday, then 10 weeks of training, taking in at least one further 10K and a half-marathon as prep...

Thoroughly enjoying the gadding about in all these shorter local races with the club though!!! :D

27:11 for my 5k. I've not run one for sometime, so I'll take that. I need practice to get used to pacing the distance. The guy I crossed the line with gave me some advice about stride length. I've always known that I need to increase my strike rate. Interestingly I also have a low cadence when cycling and like to turn over big gears.
btw the guy I finished with was 71! Didn't look a day over 60!

the Fort William Marathon is this coming Sunday.

Time flies! Can't believe you're into another big one so soon! Best of luck!

I'm looking at this...

https://www.runninggrandprix.com/ev...MIt_mH8YO23AIVZrvtCh3jiAdJEAAYASAAEgJ33_D_BwE

but think I would get bored doing (~8?) laps for a marathon...and I've already entered another half two weeks later...so think I might go for the half.
It's flat and probably fast. At least it was fast when I did a track day there a few years ago in the Scooby!

Nice one Andrew!

Do you have a local Parkrun?

I'm in Central London where the Royal Parks haven't taken to Park run The nearest is 3-4 miles away and 9 a.m. Saturday clashes with my cycling club's ride. Saying that as I'm cycling Ride London 100 on Sunday as a Safety Captain I may try Park run this week.

Well after Sunday’s drama queen moment, seems to be a lot better. Managed the first two bits of rehab, 15 mins brisk walking and the same the next day but uphill. Spoke to the physio again and he told me the calf needs ‘challenging’ I’m to expect twinges. Just got to stop immediately if it’s sore when I stretch or am exercising.

On Thursday I’m allowed a very slow jog for 15 minutes whoot whoot!

If you’re not able to manage Parkrun when you’re up here, I can join you for a gentle walk and a beer?

I finally pulled on my running shoes and went out for my first run after the bike crash twelve days ago. It was a modest 2.8 miles run and apart from it being too warm for my liking, it went alright - my feet remembered what they were supposed to do!

What didn't go well - and still isn't going well - is that my Garmin F235 won't upload its log of the run via Bluetooth to my phone. I've tried removing my Garmin as a 'device' from the software and then adding it again, but no luck. They can definitely talk to each other - as adding the Garmin again proves - but somehow the bit that matters, transferring of run data from the device to my phone, just won't work. I'd rather not do a factory reset of the Garmin, but it's beginning to look like my only option and I just can't be bothered with that right now (I know I can try uploading via USB to my laptop, but that defeats the whole point of having Bluetooth). I'll see how things are tomorrow then take it from there.

How you feeling for Sunday John? Hopefully you're raring to go like a Duracell Bunny :)

No. I’m actually hurting a bit. Usual suspects: groin/abs. I am heading up anyway - the hotel is paid for - and I’m as well as to give it a try, but I’m concerned that it could be a DNF unless the current level of discomfort doesn’t increase. I can likely make it round as things stand, but feeling sore after a couple of short runs doesn’t bode well for a full marathon.....

I finally pulled on my running shoes and went out for my first run after the bike crash twelve days ago. It was a modest 2.8 miles run and apart from it being too warm for my liking, it went alright - my feet remembered what they were supposed to do!

What didn't go well - and still isn't going well - is that my Garmin F235 won't upload its log of the run via Bluetooth to my phone. I've tried removing my Garmin as a 'device' from the software and then adding it again, but no luck. They can definitely talk to each other - as adding the Garmin again proves - but somehow the bit that matters, transferring of run data from the device to my phone, just won't work. I'd rather not do a factory reset of the Garmin, but it's beginning to look like my only option and I just can't be bothered with that right now (I know I can try uploading via USB to my laptop, but that defeats the whole point of having Bluetooth). I'll see how things are tomorrow then take it from there.

How you feeling for Sunday John? Hopefully you're raring to go like a Duracell Bunny :)

Well done on getting out there windhoek.

Re The Garmin, I had this once and the way I cleared it was to perform another activity, just a short one. I think I did a 10 second run. This then uploaded and then triggered the older one to upload as well.

Did my first run today, just a little mile and a half, but it seems to have had no ill effects. Hopefully will be able to do some more on Saturday. Fingers crossed it’s on the mend. Will try for a couple of miles next time. Hopefully soon be back to fighting mileage. Will keep it slow and gradually up the miles. Then I’ll work on the speed.

Forgive me runners for I have sinned. It has been 2 days since my last run and I have gone for a bike ride instead of running today. It was just too hot for running. Actually it was too hot for cycling as well but I did enjoy it.

Last night my 235 suggested that my evening run was in fact a lunch run. It also forgot what time it was. Think there may have been a system blip yesterday.

Last night my 235 suggested that my evening run was in fact a lunch run. It also forgot what time it was. Think there may have been a system blip yesterday.
There was. My morning run wouldn’t sync at all until mid-morning, and the Garmin settings page on my iPhone app said ‘down for maintenance’ or somesuch...

More foot

I now have a compo lawyer agreement signed up and ready to move off. Done a some good gym sessions , yesterday in particular. I’ve expanded my gym cardio to include an intense session on the vertical climber as well as the rower. I’m determined to grow my cardio base and strength rather than lose it. But in terms running I’m trying to stay positive and fix on the idea and work towards of a teary Xmas day 5k. The lawyer piece is going so take months to resolve but I have evidence of every run I’ve done since 09, and some running medals going back years before then.

Just home from a sleepover and my Garmin managed to connect properly with the app after a software update - the Matrix must have had glitch going on yesterday.

Well done Richard, good luck John and fingers crossed for compo John. At this rate we'll be convening in the C25K thread in no time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back