advertisement

The runners' thread... (part II)

Don't tease - which September event? The Brutal 300 in Wales on September 8 sounds fun - to quote "Lap after lap after lap, until you either finish or go insane…"!
I like the idea of running Berlin. But I have no place, so a charity place would be about my only option. Not sure how late you can leave charity places, though I imagine there's a bit of time yet....

Lots of them have filled all their places. Looking down the list most had waiting lists only; Prostate Cancer was the only one I looked at with places left.

Supposed to be a very fast course.

JTC, you might think you're shit at it, but every week you blow all us other pfm runners out of the water with your mileage!

Nothing entered here yet, but I need to. Parkrun on Saturday (the great man himself (Paul Sinton-Hewitt) turned up!) and a pleasant 10k yesterday. The weather's slowly improving, the days are getting longer...wanting to get back into the swing of it again.

What a difference a week makes - last week it was 2°C and this morning 10°C. Mind you looking at my heart rate and the amount I was sweating after my brisk 12K, I'm not sure I want it to get too much warmer.

Yes, something like 12 or 14C is actually perfect for running. Bit cold when you set off, but comfortable to keep going, even in shorts and T-shirt.

Reactions: MJS
Ran a 5k yesterday. The temperature was about 1C with a roaring wind and a wind chill of -6C : so much for spring. At least it was sunny.

I thought I'd have some spare time off work to get back out on the road in the last week. Managed a Parkrun with the local group beginners then a tooth decided to go hyper sensitive on me and needs root canal treatment. That stopped my osteoporosis treatment from even starting, also last week, because the one thing that complicates matters is potential tooth extraction. I've been off my head on painkillers and couldn't even walk the dogs at the weekend. Better today after some temporary filling work, hopefully I can get out tomorrow.

I thought I'd have some spare time off work to get back out on the road in the last week. Managed a Parkrun with the local group beginners then a tooth decided to go hyper sensitive on me and needs root canal treatment. That stopped my osteoporosis treatment from even starting, also last week, because the one thing that complicates matters is potential tooth extraction. I've been off my head on painkillers and couldn't even walk the dogs at the weekend. Better today after some temporary filling work, hopefully I can get out tomorrow.

Ouch! Best of luck with dentist.

So after a couple of weeks of not going out at all (laziness, lack of time, rather than anything else), I hauled myself out of bed this morning and went to Parkrun, then a near 10k bit of a warmdown afterwards. My mate Garmin told me I was unproductive....what ya gotta do...?!

Entered a couple of local 10k races in June for some motivation.

Did a quarter decent Parkrun two weeks ago, then got struck down with another bloody cold, the worst one so far. Will get back on it this week. Have a GNR entry, and tempted by the Manchester 10k. That might get my backside off the sofa.

Good news is that son has a place at Chethams starting soon, so I’ll have to take him into Manchester on Saturdays, and this will be a damn good excuse to do more Parkruns as there will be no more football team! Yay!

Lovely morning, off to the Parkrun with my son and his girlfriend who are visiting over Easter. My son finished 9th in a respectable 19m 19s, and I exceeded my expectations with not only a Parkrun PB of 25m 43s, but this was an overall 5K PB. Given the quite demanding course this has renewed my conviction that a sub-25 min 5K is still possible before I reach 65 (or even when I reach 65, which is only a couple of months away).

Look forward to hearing many more running stories here soon, it has been a bit quiet!

Went out for a 5k yesterday morning, then mountain biking for the rest of the day - haven't been on a bike for a few months...how that hurt! Was absolutely shattered by the time we got back, only 40k or so, but hilly over the Southdowns. Was a lovely day for it, but my legs didn't thank me.
Parkrun this morning and quite happy with a huffy puffy sub 22. Paul Sinton-Hewitt there too, overtook me in the last km or so...:oops:

Getting back slowly, a few runs this week, feels really hard work after all the bugs and viruses. Got sinusitis so badly a few weeks ago my nose got infected and got given antibiotics…
Well done on the pb @Darkagesound! Brilliant work.

Beautiful out there this morning, though after the last couple of days my body was screaming no no no....a very gentle and tired 10k.

Somehow managed to drag both my adult daughters along to Parkrun this morning, a family outing! The youngest had just bought some new runners, and the eldest had to borrow some ...
Lovely sunny morning on Worthing seafront and both finished in a smidgen under 28 mins.
Their old dad huffed and puffed a lot and got his fastest time this year so very happy :D

Dragging a friend round his first Parkrun. Chance of a good stretch of them as unencumbered by a boys football team. Hopefully I’ll be able to get down to around 25 mins again.

I have done a spot of Parkrun tourism. Torvean (outskirts of Inverness) and Alness, between Inverness and Tain.

Torvean is tightly folded into a small park, with two inner and two outer laps. Gravel surface most of the way, several small hills on the outer lap, bright sun but fairly cool when you were in the shade. Ran most of the way with a lady from Jogscotland Muir of Ord group. Muir of Ord is only a few miles from our house.

Alness is one of the most beautiful courses you could hope for - starts in a little park, just off one end of the High street, then follows a river downstream, cross underneath the A9, through a couple of fields and some salt marsh, then out onto a pier projecting out into the Cromarty Firth, then retrace your steps. Flat and fast, and lovely conditions with bright sun and almost no wind, perhaps a bit cool.

advertisement

Back