advertisement

The runners' thread... (part II)

Enjoy. After finally starting to feel like I’m getting some respite from the piriformis injury, and just getting going again, I’ve got a stinking cold, and keep coughing. It’s not Covid, but I’m sure everyone thinks it is!

Excellent MJS, nothing like a marathon to persuade a runner to 'get with the program' :D I was down to do that one a few years ago but my Mum got very poorly so I had to cancel. Maybe one day!

Much sympathy to those on the bench, patience is often a virtue when running injuries happen.

Parkrun yesterday, one 500m section of the course was straight into the teeth of the wind which made things interesting - our local course is very exposed! Managed a respectable 22.35, didn't go flat out as I had a club 8.1m race today. 61.45 for that (7.37 pace) on a lovely sunny morning.

My planned trip to Barca for the half marathon (April 3rd) is now off - Jet2 have cancelled my flights. Oh well, it does mean I can get my flights and hotel refunded as both are with the airline. I had held off entering the race so nothing lost there. Back to browsing the race fixture lists again.:confused:

18" of snow yesterday and temperatures well below freezing for a few more days means running will be tricky, if not impossible. Quick blast on my spin bike this morning before heading out to clear the snow.
On a more positive note just signed up for a triathlon in June - mile swim, 30 miles bike, 10k run - so something to aim for.

Nice MJS! Good motivation to see you out a lot over the summer! And sean99 - signing up for something is something I need to do to...
A few days ago I nearly entered the Chichester 10k (next Sunday), then realized that next Saturday afternoon/evening is our annual watch the rugby in the pub day (Scotland/England), so I'd probably be unfit for a race...the sacrifices...

Bad luck on Barca Wineman, at least nothing lost financially, as you say. I guess that's the risk with anything that includes travel at the moment, though hopefully starting to ease a little into the warmer months.

Parkrun yesterday and I told myself I'd take it relatively easy compared to last week, where I was on the limit pretty much all the way and hurting. Yesterday felt fine and paced myself well...and was only 7 seconds slower than last week, which surprised myself. A slow gentle trot out this morning too, which felt harder than it should.

Stay safe and warm sean99 - from the press here, it looks like you're getting it rough over there...

So....this weekend sees the RRR training program finished (Rugby (watching), Re-hydration (beer) and Rest (feet up)) and I've just entered two half marathons - one off-road in May, and another at Goodwood in July, after yet another miss with the London marathon ballot...

On a roll, I had a good Parkrun yesterday with best time this year, and then tested the legs and went out for a half this morning. Was a lovely morning and great to be out.

That's my training done. Back to the re-hydration.. ;)

Hope you're all still out there!

Last edited:
5k last Sunday - the course measured 3.18 miles according to the organizers and included a very large hill between miles 2 and 3, so I was pleased with 20:12.
Went out cycling with a local club this morning and hung on for dear life before being dropped about 10 miles into 42 miles (bastards flew through a red light and I stopped since it is a busy intersection). Fortunately there were 3 other fellow stragglers so we made out way around the course, but boy that was hard. I'll sleep tonight.

Parkrun on Saturday, then badly stubbed middle toe against bed on Sunday. Idiot.
Black bruise, blood, ouch. Will probably lose the nail. But don't think it's broken...thankfully.

Ok, advice time. I’ve done no meaningful training this year, and I probably don’t have enough time to do much before the event, so is it stupid to consider entering a marathon that’s only 8.5 weeks away? I’m curious about my ability to ‘wing it’ and wondering how much of my prior experience might see me through. Of course, I would have to be realistic with my expectations- last time I ran this one, in 2019, I finished in 4h05m with a fair bit of jog/walk from ~30K. No chance of that kind of time in ‘22 (it’s a pretty challenging route with about 500m elevation) but am I deluded to be even considering it at all?

Ok, advice time. I’ve done no meaningful training this year, and I probably don’t have enough time to do much before the event, so is it stupid to consider entering a marathon that’s only 8.5 weeks away? I’m curious about my ability to ‘wing it’ and wondering how much of my prior experience might see me through. Of course, I would have to be realistic with my expectations- last time I ran this one, in 2019, I finished in 4h05m with a fair bit of jog/walk from ~30K. No chance of that kind of time in ‘22 (it’s a pretty challenging route with about 500m elevation) but am I deluded to be even considering it at all?
I did my first marathon at 40 with about 3 months of about 20 miles a week and never more than 16 miles in a single run. The long flight didn’t help either. Did 4.15 and literally couldn’t walk the next day, had to hire a bike!
Nowadays wouldn’t do a marathon at all as the only thing they do for you is irreversible permanent damage and I’d like to be running into my 70s.
Would like to do the Three Shires or Langdale again though.
I’d like to see marathons using the cut off system like fell races. I just don’t think it means anything if people are shuffling round in 5 or 6 hours.

JTC, you've got the legs, you know you can get out and run a half without too much pain, you've done the marathon distance before several times. If you're OK to walk a bit (worst case!), then go for it!

Some years ago in Melbourne I went down to the MCG a few days before the marathon with the intention of entering the 10K - I hadn't been out much at all for a while. That was full, so I gulped and asked for the half. But that was full too...which left the 5K (really not worth the trip into the CBD!) or the marathon....so I signed on the dotted line for the latter....
No time for any training...It hurt, and it was miserable (rained towards the end, and quite cold), but I finished and was elated.

p.s. Been out for a lovely trail trot this morning, after a 55km offroad bike ride yesterday. Exhausted!

Thanks. Since I finally tested -ve for Covid yesterday I was keen to try a run today. Did 10 miles and although it wasn’t a disaster (and much of the run was quite promising) it’s pretty clear I’ve lost the longer-distance stamina and resilience, so I think it’s that which rules me out for the June marathon. At least I gave it a test rather than being bullish.

8 days out from Covid and I struggled to do 5k just now. Annoying, because earlier in the week I'd done a 6 and 8k so was hoping to build back up quicker. Was hoping to get a late entry in the MK half in two weeks time but I think that's looking unlikely now and I should just build back slowly for the big races in the autumn.

Really struggled since having had Covid twice since Christmas. About to get up and go to Parkrace though. Last time went round in 25, be happy to break 30 today. Lots of flexibility work and strengthening appears to be helping there. Must remember not to go off like daft bugger.

Beautiful sunny Parkrun this morning, and managed to drag eldest daughter there too, who did very well, ran all the way and seemed to enjoy it!!

advertisement

Back