Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The runners' thread... (part II)

Discussion in 'off topic' started by PigletsDad, Aug 16, 2018.

1. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

The article doesn't go as far as to suggest the opposite, because it says:
    "Now someone may still require the use of rest and ice but complete immobilization or rest should not be a part of the recovery process especially if the affected area is stable".
    I strongly agree with this - you've got to keep moving. Where I feel RICE still works for me is:

Rest - keep the injury moving but DO NOT OVERDO IT. Patience is key - some exercise, but be aware of pain and be very conservative.
    Ice - after exercising the injury, and especially if you feel like you might have overdone it a little icing it helps to prevent an overuse injury from reoccurring.
    Compression - as above - if you are worried you might have overdone it some temporary compression can help prevent
    Elevation - I'd only use elevation during the initial injury to mitigate swelling (e.g. sprained ankle).

I'd add that thoroughly warming up the injured area prior to any exercise can help to prevent reinjury.

Also, I think in terms of running most injuries are due to overuse and are not acute injuries - and I find all of the above helpful. Keep moving, but not too much, warm before, ice and compress afterward if you are concerned you may have overdone it and be patient about returning to full exercise. As I get further into my fifties training is a never-ending balance between pushing myself a little, but not so much that I generate another over-use injury (currently have a slightly dodgy hamstring from an over-optimistic bike ride in October).

The IT band recovery turned out to be mostly stretching, plus some resistance band work. This stretch in particular:
    [​IMG]

And this strength exercise (I added a light resistance band to make it a little harder):

lordsummit and boneman like this.
  2. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

Anyone doing Marcothon? Managing my ~5 miles each day thus far.

3. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

This fishie is down at the moment. Have not been able to shake the pain in the arse that is most likely Piriformis Syndrome. I suspect I did something to it at Parkrun, and now every time I manage to settle it down, it lasts just long enough to allow me the false hope that I might be getting back to normal before once again becoming a complete pain in the ass again literally. I’m currently trying resting it as much as possible, but getting really sick of it. Missing getting out there, and feeling a little bit panicky about how much is being lost. It’s awful when something takes it away from you.

4. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

lordsummit likes this.
  5. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

Bob and Brad are ace aren’t they? They sort of suggest I should keep running. I couldn’t do two consecutive days though, and my schedule sort of means I usually do Wed/Thurs and Sat/Sun. It was going quite well last time, then I enjoyed running up a small hill in Derbyshire and it flared up again. These things will pass…

6. robs

robs should know how this works by no

No...I'm definitely on a lazython in the last few weeks...:(

Get well soon Lordy.

lordsummit likes this.
  7. johnhunt

johnhunt pfm Member

Glad to hear everyone still doing it . Me too.

8. Wine Man

Wine Man pfm Member

I've had similar in recent years Lord Summit and an injection cured me both times, nerve pain can drag on for months. BTW I was in Derbyshire last weekend and did the new Monsal Trail parkrun, wet & squally but enjoyed it regardless.
    Marcothon.. I have done it in past years but I tend to run almost every day now so most months apply! Good calorie burner to counteract the seasonal excess in December.:)

I cancelled my trip to the Malaga marathon this weekend due to the new travel restrictions and red tape. I have transferred the holiday to Barcelona for the marathon there in early April, no guarantee travel will be any easier by then - I can but hope!

10 miles this morning in pleasant conditions, dry and light winds.

Amormusic likes this.
  9. Amormusic

Amormusic pfm Member

Just completed my first ever formal 5k. Also did my fastest ever time and finished in 30:15 which I am really pleased with.

I have a medal which I'm going to frame and I feel like a superhero!!! This running thing is awesome!!!

cutting42, sean99, andrew d and 3 others like this.
  10. robs

Great stuff amormusic!! It is indeed awesome.

I persuaded myself to go out two days in a row this weekend...feeling it now!

11. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

Going to give a little shuffle a go on Tuesday. See how the arse twang is.

12. andrew d

andrew d pfm Member

Freak accident involving big toe! No running for the last couple of weeks but can walk so thinking a possible hairline fracture. It's taped up and hope to be back in action before Christmas.

lordsummit likes this.
  13. Wine Man

Wine Man pfm Member

Amormusic.. well done! Can't! beat that feeling of a PB - nice one.

Andrew d.. bad luck on the big toe injury, any prospect of an x-ray?

Loving this mild weather, 12.5m yesterday - even the sun made an appearance at half way. 6m this morning delivering Xmas cards around the town.

14. robs

Big SHOUT for JTC who just completed the Marcothon!

Well done - that's a huge effort!!:):)

15. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

Thanks!!! Not so big an effort as it could be, but started to get tough as the constant runs without recovery slowly wore me down!!

andrew d, sean99, robs and 1 other person like this.
  16. andrew d

andrew d pfm Member

Well after Cycling over 600km in the last 8 days to complete the Rapha Festive 500km challenge, I'll be out on my feet tomorrow but perhaps not in time for Park Run!! Hoping for a strong 2022!

robs likes this.
  17. robs

Nice one Andrew, that's huge too!

I've a week off work so I thought I was doing (relatively) well going out for a trot the last three days in a row - but could hardly move today! Especially since it was pissing down all 3 days, and I hate running in the rain...strangely though, because it wasn't cold I got used to it and it was almost uplifting in a strange kind of way.
    ..uh oh...what am I saying..

Not sure whether I'll make it to Parkrun tomorrow or not, but the good intentions are there! Just about to have a wee dram of Laphroaig... :rolleyes:

So probably not..

andrew d likes this.
  18. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

Taking Sam to his first Parkrun tomorrow. Should really stop drinking now…

19. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

I’m on the secret stash Absenta Tunel 70%, so nae chance of a NY Parkrun for me :). Have a great 2022!!!

lordsummit likes this.
  20. MJS

MJS Technical Tinkerer

I've been knocked out for a week from bad cold inherited from sticky kids over Xmas. Luckily it's not the C-word but I can see my fitness on Strava slipping away. It's shame really, it's been great weather for long runs round here all week.