advertisement

The runners' thread... (part II)

By arse twang I assume you mean tight glutes? My right glute has been very tight in the morning for a few weeks. Seems to relax after 15-30 minutes of waking up.

Piriformis syndrome, literally a pain in the arse and then sciatica down my leg. Managing to get it under the control using a massage gun and slow paced stuff. No fast runs or hills allowed.

Whether or not, it/they sound(s) unpleasant enough to remind me why I don’t even run towards free wine nowadays.

Mr Marchbanks you are brilliant!!!

lordsummit.. I had similar about 6 months ago, glute to back of knee, like toothache down the back of the leg. My local physio injected cortisone into my glute and the pain disappeared over a couple of weeks, I've been ok ever since. You need to find a physio with a 'needle therapy' qualification for this, physios without this qualification will probably not mention it. Good luck!

Not that bad thankfully! Just a pain in the centre of my glute and afterwards. My physio told me to keep doing gentle stuff, massage with the gun and some stretches. It is slowly working. He mentioned the cortisone treatment but didn’t think I was bad enough. So I’ve pulled on my big girl knickers and am doing what the man says… Hopefully in a month or two it’ll have settled down. He thought that it may well be scar tissue causing mine, it went twang at my second Parkrace back when I was showing off trying to get a pb I hadn’t really trained for.

Hi runners.

Id like to pick up some fairly cheap bleutooth in ear headphones for when I'm running. Say, £50 ballpark max.

Requirements are for a good fit and reliability and decent for running. SQ is not the ultimate here as I'll only use them for running with (I have other IEMs Senn IE800S for general use).

Can anyone please suggest what would be a good pair in this ballpark please?

Cheers,

lordsummit.. I had similar about 6 months ago, glute to back of knee, like toothache down the back of the leg. My local physio injected cortisone into my glute and the pain disappeared over a couple of weeks, I've been ok ever since. You need to find a physio with a 'needle therapy' qualification for this, physios without this qualification will probably not mention it. Good luck!

I've had cortisone treatment twice - once to my knee, near the IT band, the other time in my finger (trigger finger). On neither occasion were the effects long lasting, plus second time it was very painful and expensive (this in the US - like $500). cortisone also causes damage - weakens the underlying tissue.

Now I stick with RICE for injuries, plus warming prior to exercise and careful stretching. It takes longer to work, but it I find the cure is much more durable.

Ran the most I've ever run in my life today.

36 minutes and 3.5 miles exactly.

I've now achieved/exceeded my 5k target. Whoop whoop.

As a prize I bought myself a phone runner holding thingy, cuz I'm a real runner now.

I also entered the Cardiff checkpoint run in Dec.

I'm over the moon.

Careful about going too far too soon. The rule of thumb is no more than 10% increase each week, and many of my friends only add 10% every other week. I spent several months nursing overuse injuries last year because of trying to come back too fast from sickness.

^

This!! Brilliant work on getting this far. just take it easy, build up gently. After two months off because of Covid I started off doing too much, I’m paying for it still with an overuse injury, and having to endure a limited regime. Just be careful, most of us aren’t as young as we used to be!!

Well done Armormusic.

Get used to doing the 5k runs, then try a 6k. In my case I thought that 8k was a big step but tried it one day and achieved it. Then it was 9, 10, 11, 12...It took a few months, mind.
Looking back on my Strava fitness over the last two years I can see where wedging in 5/6k after work ended and lockdown running began. It did wonders for my health. Luckily I've not contracted Covid but I'd be pretty annoyed if it floored me for any length of time. Upthread I said I was annoyed if I couldn't do an 8k lunch run. I'm regularly doing 12k now.

it's a great feeling when you can do it. I'm surprised at how much I enjoy it. Using a treadmill in a gym felt like a lesson in futility and boredom but getting outside and seeing the world go by allows my brain to think about other things and the running kind of takes care of itself.

Oh, and this cannot be stressed enough, get good shoes. Yes they're expensive but they'll support your feet properly and that makes all the difference to a run without blisters, aching legs/knees or bunions (had all 3).

Any suggestions on brands? Currently got some Nike air bubble something or other. But fair point

I think it's a personal decision, and not brand specific. If you're new to running it's worth spending a little more to visit a running shop and try on a few pairs, and perhaps get advice based on style / distance / gait. If there are any local running clubs they might be able to steer you towards a good shop.

Nike, New Balance, Saucony, Brooks .... the list goes on and on. I'm sure they'll all make some shoes that will work for you, and others that might not. Having run in New Balance for years I recently got Saucony Endorphin speed and I really like them - they're light and super cushioned. However you might try them and hate them.

I went to a running shop and asked for recommendations. I have wide feet so have a limited selection to chose from but most of my shoes have been Brooks. A decent shop will have a treadmill you can try them on and they'll look at your gait and assist in choosing the pair based on that. Don't be afraid to change shoes if you don't get on with them either, they make all the difference between wanting to go out on a run and grudgingly doing one.

A decent shop will have a treadmill you can try them on and they'll look at your gait and assist in choosing the pair based on that.

Fully agree. It sounds expensive and it will cost a little more in a shop than online deals, but really important to know how you run/gait - especially if you a relatively new starter. It's worth the 'investment' at the outset, you won't need to do it every time you buy a pair (I've only done it once!).
But get the wrong pair at the start and you may not get to buying a second pair! I'd suggest it's even more important as you increase mileage.

No connection and haven't used them myself, but this explains:

https://www.runnersneed.com/expert-advice/gear-guides/gait-analysis.html

Just be careful, I started to lose weight and lost a whole load. The shoes I was recommended three years ago wouldn’t work for me now, I was a Brooks Adrenaline runner for about three years which is a moderately supportive shoe. I’ve recently started wearing Hoka Clifton’s, a lighter very neutral shoe. My feet are tracking me for it, yet three years ago, the Brooks caused me no problems. As you get better at it, your gait will change. Some brands can be bought on a try it for a month or three months basis. Get a gait analysis done.

Christened a new pair of booties this morning. Identical to the old pair, except the old pair had done 750km. What a difference, felt much better.

Beautiful morning down here, though after a few minutes I was wishing I had put gloves on...

Little trail run whilst Sam had his piano lesson. I always love new tires, always feel much better. Loving my Cliftons. Took my old one to get muddy!

19:35 in my local 5k Turkey Trot yesterday and no signs of the IT band problems that stopped me running for over three months earlier this year. Feels good to be able to run hard without fear of injury.
It was a great race also. Perfect weather, about 1300 people took part and money raised went to the local food pantry. Plus free coffee, donuts and apple pie at the finish.
BTW the winning time was 14:49 :eek:

That’s interesting, it enables all us runners who know we should be resting a bit, but decide a little Run might loosen it off :)

Bloody brilliant time Sean. I can only dream of turning in a 20 minute 5k, although a few tests ago 25 mins seemed impossible!!

My last sub 20 5k was age 57, now 64 so unlikely to get back there. Congrats Sean, that's a cracking pace.

Re. Cortisone.. never had any problems with it. It has cured me several times - hamstring, glutes, knee, nerve problems. No side effects either.

FWIW I run in NB shoes, after a few years I know which models I like. It does annoy me though when manufacturers change a popular model at the drop of a hat!

advertisement

Back