advertisement

The runners' thread... (part II)

LOL, uphill all the way!!

I went out for a gentle shuffle this morning (in the rain even....) to show solidarity! But no way I was getting anywhere near your miles today!!

Great stuff gents, especially considering twangs and colds etc, enjoy the beer tonight, well deserved!

Try the cold remedies, you’ll be fine, won’t get drug tested. Seriously though, get a Covid test, or do a lateral flow, we’ve been told that cold like symptoms is often a symptom of delta. Take care, it’s bloody gutting when you’ve sweated buckets and stuff happens. Fingers crossed for you.
Yes. This is correct. I've recently got over Covid. Started with runny nose, scratchy throat, sneezes, weak headache. Much like a cold.

I've recently started running. I've never been a runner.
Pre 1st lockdown I'd been going to gym loads and had gotten to the fittest I'd been in years. However, over a year of letting it slide, too much drinking and takeaway and I'd hit serious unfitness and far too much weight.

So started a couch to 5k, which I've been meeting my father for and we are both doing together.

I'm really enjoying it. I'm only a few weeks in as I had to start over (due to covid as mentioned above) as I was getting breathing issues after I'd recovered from Covid. But this has subsided and I'm back up to week four again.

I intend to enter a proper 5k in Nov - I've never managed 5k in my whole life, so for me this will be an amazing achievement.

The last 4K were the toughest for me. “But it’s not even a Parkrun” my brain was saying at the end, but my legs had turned to jelly by then and needed a couple of stretch breaks. I’m sure they designed it all to be uphill even though that is impossible! The atmosphere and the energy is totally amazing and totally worth it. A thoroughly enjoyable day. I’ve already been to the hotel spa but legs still don’t want to play.

I was convinced that it was all uphill! Even the big hills seemed much smaller coming down. Now got to drive back to Manchester and eat all the foods. I’m thinking the worlds biggest kebab!

Reactions: MJS
I've recently started running. I've never been a runner.
Pre 1st lockdown I'd been going to gym loads and had gotten to the fittest I'd been in years. However, over a year of letting it slide, too much drinking and takeaway and I'd hit serious unfitness and far too much weight.

So started a couch to 5k, which I've been meeting my father too to do to try and get him fit as well.
I'm really enjoying it. I'm only a few weeks in as I had to start over (due to covid as mentioned above) as I was getting breathing issues. But this has subsided and I'm back up to week four again.
I intend to enter a proper 5k in Nov. I've never managed 5k in my whole life, so for me this will be an amazing achievement.

Is there a Parkrun near you? Don’t enter a 5km, go and meet lots of nice people at a Parkrace! No-one comes last and there will be lots worse than you!! It’s the ideal gateway drug to running!

Is there a Parkrun near you? Don’t enter a 5km, go and meet lots of nice people at a Parkrace! No-one comes last and there will be lots worse than you!! It’s the ideal gateway drug to running!
Thank you Sir. I'd never heard of this. There are three close by me.

Can I confess, it’s new shoes time, and I’m looking at those Saucony ones with a nylon plate in the hope of an easy win on the Parkrun pb :cool:

I feel very shallow :D

Can I confess, it’s new shoes time, and I’m looking at those Saucony ones with a nylon plate in the hope of an easy win on the Parkrun pb :cool:

You know you’re a runner when you start thinking about your next shoes before you've even worn the current ones in.

I usually have a totally unworn pair in reserve, so will order a new pair before starting to use the reserve pair :)

I recently got Saucony Endorphin Speed (on discount as mine are a vile color). They're very cushy and comfortable and do the "tip you forward" thing. The soles are rather slippery in the wet and I wouldn't dare run on wet grass in them - so perhaps not good for parkrun ?

Congratulations to the GNR runners. An uphill half marathon is a great achievement.
Not much running for me lately (twisted ankle) but I did a 1.6 mile lake swim on Saturday, and was pleased to finish reasonably comfortably. It was billed as a social swim with plenty of rest stops, but I didn't encounter any rest stops, unless I was too slow to arrive in time for the stops.

I recently got Saucony Endorphin Speed (on discount as mine are a vile color). They're very cushy and comfortable and do the "tip you forward" thing. The soles are rather slippery in the wet and I wouldn't dare run on wet grass in them - so perhaps not good for parkrun ?

It’s those I’m looking at :) No grass at my Parkrun…
Are they any good if you slow down?

I bought mine for two reasons - 1) Because of my IT band trouble this year I felt I needed a more cushioned run - they seem good for this. 2) In case they make me quicker - I'm afraid I'm rather out of shape running wise so I can't tell. I've run between 7 mins and 8 mins a mile over the past couple of months and they feel fine at that speed. I haven't run faster since before the ITB trouble.

I'm also new to running. After 25+ years of frequent cycling it killed my calf muscles, although they are starting to loosen up now. I seem to be decent down hill but rubbish up hill, again I suspect this is something to do with cycling muscles.
Done 3 Park Runs (or Pork Run as I like to call them). Got lapped by daughter's boyfriend on the last one, although he did come 2nd. He complained about a couple of tight bends on the local course... I said that they are not that tight at my speed ;).

The great thing about running is when it's over!!

Never done a park run. My daughters are normally with me Saturdays and that has kiboshed it. But have run the distance hundreds of times over the years.

Got through the half this morning..but it was hard work!
Started OK and stuck close to a pacer for about half way (not by design), then started to struggle when the course gets a little hilly. Felt very tired and slowed for a few km. Got rained on (hate that), had a gel and picked up a little again, only to find the next pacer overtaking at about 4km to go. So I stuck to him like glue, thought I was going to drop, but gritted teeth and followed him in for a smidge under 1:45 - I was very chuffed with that, since training has been non existent - tested positive on a business trip to Europe 3 weeks ago, so a week in isolation there (although you're allowed out to exercise) then another 10 days here! Feeling a little sore and tired now though.

Well done Lordy on your half today too! Looks like that was a painful one..?

Went for a run on hill trails and then the beach. I hit the last road before home, and started to run, fast for me, downhill into the road to get find a better surface but my right foot landed on leaves at the side of the road. Under the leaves was very slippy mud and I went flying, landing on my left shoulder, ripping the back of my jersey and now have road rash all down my left side. Missed a face plant by a couple of inches!
A bit shaken but back running in a couple of minutes.

advertisement

Back