advertisement

The runners' thread... (part II)

Thanks John, much appreciated. I was shocked that this year it’s only two years since I did my first 10k. Glad you’re back on it and the foot seems ok. I wish I had time to do some gym work as well.

Prior to the gym closing my routine was run/gym/run repeat . Now it’s just run run run with some kettlebell. Point I’m making is that is good to do some Lifting , core etc . Helps with the running , not dying etc

Up to 30mins.
Just bought a pair of Brooks Ravenna to replace my ageing Saucony Redeemers. They seem less sturdy. Like a race shoe. Was after Brooks Beast but couldn't find any. Any heavy lads with motion control / stability shoe recommends?

The Beast are massively heavy. I foolishly bought a pair. I use Brooks Adrenalines for a little support, and I also have some Levitates which I alternate them with.

The Ravenas are quite a lightweight racing shoe I think.

Try using this:

https://www.brooksrunning.com/en_gb/ShoeFinder

If you order from there you can send them back after using them for 90 days if they don’t suit.

I think the Hoka One One website offers something similar. I liked the Arahi and did my first half in them. As I’ve got better I find I’ve needed less and less support every time I’ve gone for a new pair.

I use this shop, they’ll offer advice and will I think offer online running shoe guidance. I also think I read on Facebook they were going to open for appointments.

https://www.runnorthwest.co.uk/

Ahhhh! I’d pass on those and try the Adrenalines. They’re just so heavy. Always size up as well. I’m a solid 8 but I always wear a 9 in running shoes.

Brooks Adrenaline GTX vote here, I had them after a gait analysis and have had 3 or 4 pairs now. The 19 was a little different to the 18 but still a good supportive shoe and I am a heavier runner.

Brooks Adrenaline GTX vote here, I had them after a gait analysis and have had 3 or 4 pairs now. The 19 was a little different to the 18 but still a good supportive shoe and I am a heavier runner.
There's heavy and there's Heavy. I'm Heavy. When I was running properly with a Club in my late twenties I got down to about 12 and a half stone. I'm now over 15 stone. I'm 5' 9 and three quarters. Rugby Union 13 or 14 would be my position.
When I said I couldn't find the Beasts I meant at a reasonable price. I've bought some at an unreasonable price. £110. I know them from old so should be fine. I'll keep the Ravennas as "race" shoes.

There's heavy and there's Heavy. I'm Heavy. When I was running properly with a Club in my late twenties I got down to about 12 and a half stone. I'm now over 15 stone. I'm 5' 9 and three quarters. Rugby Union 13 or 14 would be my position.
When I said I couldn't find the Beasts I meant at a reasonable price. I've bought some at an unreasonable price. £110. I know them from old so should be fine. I'll keep the Ravennas as "race" shoes.

Well I am pretty similar height and weight, I used to pull on a number 3 in my day so really not a runner shape.

Well I am pretty similar height and weight, I used to pull on a number 3 in my day so really not a runner shape.
Maybe I'm being over cautious as I've always used the strongest available motion control and stability shoes from Brooks and Saucony so they are what I'm used to.
It's not as if I'm chasing PBs! :rolleyes:

I found the firm medial post took quite a toll on my lower legs. It was a blessed relief when I discovered I didn’t need trainers with one of those in. Mind you I was about 15 stone when I bought the Beasts. I’m just over 11 now. Maybe not the best person to ask

I actually like the firm medial post in stability shoes...it's What I'm used to. I'll report back when I've taken The Beasts out in the wild.

I tend to run in light neutral shoes as they do seem to be what suits me. The last time I tried a chunky cushioned shoe I felt like I was running in platform shoes! NB is my favourite brand ATM, there's usually about 5-6 of their models that I'm happy with. I'm a skinny 11st 5lbs/6ft 1in for reference.
I've been struggling a bit with nerve pain from right glute down to back of knee since mid March. Mixing running up with cycling has helped and in the last 2-3 days it does feel a bit less bothersome on a run so maybe light at the end of the tunnel. The last time I had this condition (almost identical) about 4 years ago it took a cortisone injection to cure it.
In the meantime my Barcelona marathon place which was transferred from March to October (TBC) I decided to defer to the race next March. Apart from this niggle there are no races or Park runs on the horizon to sharpen up so might as well delay it as there is no cost involved.

Hope you are all enjoying the summer runs, I don't mind the heat TBH.

Not a massive fan of the heat, and definitely missing Parkrun. I see that they’ve cancelled the Cardiff Half today, so I guess that means the the GNR and Manchester Half will also be off. Next year it’ll have to be then.

Snuck in another quick half this morning.

errr...Groundhog day. :)

Actually, it was a lot cooler today, and I went in the opposite direction to normal to shake things up a bit. And then remembered why I normally go the other way round, because the big P-off hill is a somewhat shallower incline that way....feeling it a bit now.

Been finding the running track near me a godsend in these times. Up there twice or three times a week to do the speedier bits of my plan so I don’t have to worry about others getting in the way. Planning on doing a pretend Holcombe Howler tomorrow with my running buddy, properly distanced of course, but a new experience for me, usually we do Parkrun or road races together. I’ve never done a proper trail. Lots of canal tracks but no moorland trails. He’s a bit of a trail fan and warned me it starts with a 200m incline that you pretty much have to crawl up. Must remember to set the watch to trail running! Looking forward to something different really.

Run on the hills today, 7.3 miles, 1100ft of height change. Felt OK, but mostly because I was very slow, about 72 minutes!! There is an unjustifiable correction factor for height that I use of 30s per 100 feet - if I do that get about 67 minutes, so "flat earth equivalent" time still comes out at 9:20 a mile. Which is why it all felt easy and manageable.

Weather was a nice temperature, hills were very busy. Many families out, with dogs and/or children, from scary looking sheep dogs, to a dachsund puppy about the size of a rat.

First outing in the Beasts yesterday. Felt fine and sturdiness inspired confidence. I know they're heavy but it is amazing how shoe tech has improved over the last 20 years.

Rain here until 2pm so got out for 6.4m this afternoon. Chilly today so was grateful for my choice of long sleeves, hope it warms up as promised next week.

Up on the hills as well, 300m of ascent. Lots of the trails my mate likes are almost unrunnable, you’d break your ankle if you tried. Glad I got my 10k and a little bit more in at around 1h 15. Impressive running Mr Piglet!

advertisement

Back