advertisement

The runners' thread... (part II)

Matt, mix up your running, by all means do intervals but also do longer jogs. Google free training plans and see what's suggested. I've found that runners / walkers / cyclists really do stick to 2 meters distancing, much so more than people in the supermarket! let us know how you get on!

Talk is cheap, don't hold your breath for updates. As ever, actually doing it takes some serious will power.

I have a really good couch to 5k plan, you could jump on it where you feel is right. Message me if you want it. Best to mix it up I’ve found. In a week I’ll do one speed session, one at a fast pace throughout, an easy run and an easy run with a progression at the end. For shifting weight, something I know about, it’s best to do a variety, you can’t outrun a bad diet, but it doesn’t half give you some wiggle room!

It's not really for losing it but avoiding putting it on!

Running seems like my best option as it requires no equipment, only stumbling block being forcing myself to do it, I f*cking hate exercise for the sake of it.

Well my top tip is get dressed in the kit. Then, well you are in it now so may may as well start. Nine times out of ten you will do something. Run minutes not distance, start where you are, just do 10 mins thats ok then perhaps later aim for 12 and so on. Anyroad good luck, I've been running regularly for over 30 years but didn't get out today, it will take an effort to do it tomorrow so it is just what it is.Personally I always don't want to do it. But you know it's cheap and always there for you and always, aways makes you feel a bit better about yourself.

Well my top tip is get dressed in the kit. Then, well you are in it now so may may as well start. Nine times out of ten you will do something.

This is spot on, I put running kit on first thing but rarely go out before noon. I have accepted a challenge to run Hadrian's Wall (84 miles I think) in April which is 2.8 miles a day average. I have never done a run a day as I always mixed it up with gym and cycling. I quite fancy the idea of trying every day but taking it very steady

Hip surgery got postponed for obvious reasons. May start gentle trail running to get my daily exercise, rather than just walking. Sure, it'll hurt, but I need to do something. Could be months before the surgery now. Might start with gentle 5k circular routes along the beach (very large and open) or up into the local golf course (hilly and quiet right now).

. I've found that runners / walkers / cyclists really do stick to 2 meters distancing, much so more than people in the supermarket!

I have asked this before but , surely , if you are running /cycling etc you are puffing out your breath much more aggressively than if shuffling around a supermarket ?

You will also, if in convoy with others , arrive at someones 'breath ' very quickly after they have breathed out.

So...my question is....how far behind a runner or cyclist would you think a proper real world safe distance is ?

You happy with 2 meters ? :)

I have asked this before but , surely , if you are running /cycling etc you are puffing out your breath much more aggressively than if shuffling around a supermarket ?

You will also, if in convoy with others , arrive at someones 'breath ' very quickly after they have breathed out.

So...my question is....how far behind a runner or cyclist would you think a proper real world safe distance is ?

Oh when I'm out I usually cross the road to give others space, likewise on the bike I'll over take quickly or drop back if being overtaken. Even walkers cross over to avoid each other. Outside 2m is a bare minimum and people do seem to respect each other giving as much in the way as distancing as possible.
I do wonder about the 2m guidance. Haven't we all smelt someone's vape cig from across the road and seen the clouds of vapour emitted?

I stay as far away from others as possible, running down the middle of the road or crossing as necessary. If needs be I stop and wait. I don’t press buttons on pedestrian crossings, just pause my watch and wait for the lights to cycle appropriately or a gap in the traffic. No spitting no snot bombs, I’ve never been that gross. I’ve backed off the long runs to about 6 miles or so, that’s a nice easyish hour. Handily for me there’s also an old municipal running track that is little used. I go up there to pretend to get faster at running. Most runners though like me do bulk training runs, where the heart rate isn’t massively high and they’re able to hold a conversation. It’s one of the bonuses of being fitter. I think you probably over exaggerate the exhalation force.

I also feel the massive benefit activity has on my mental health is worth the tiny additional risk going out for a run causes. Unless I’m told otherwise I will continue, and then my back-up plan is that our lane is about 200 yards long. I’ll be doing intervals on it and laps a couple of times a day.

The final and simple answer is that only stupid runners get into a ‘convoy’. The first weekend I saw some obvious escapees from the gym going out as a group. Now it’s lone individuals, plodding along. As it should be.

Greetings fellow athletes! I am fairly new to PFM but have been running for 30 years, 32 marathons and about 180 Park runs on the board so far. I was a fairly late starter post my couch potato phase, my best/fastest days were age 42-52. I'm 62 now so over the hill but still enjoy it and run pretty much every day. I was down to run the Barcelona marathon in March but it suffered the same fate as all the others, now postponed until October.

Distancing.. I haven't encountered any unpleasantness so far, most folk smile and appreciate a wide berth so just common sense really. I am still amazed by all the walkers, buggy pushers, dog walkers who have suddenly appeared on my usually quiet country roads and trails. As my clubmate said 'it's just like the gyms in January!'. :D Sadly there are inconsiderate and selfish folk. One guy I know was running towards a couple of dog walkers, they suddenly pointed at him and shouted 'you shouldn't be out, you haven't got a dog'. Words fail me!

JTC.. the right approach I reckon, baby steps enough to keep ticking over without too much discomfort. I know a chap (2:50 marathon runner) who is waiting for a hernia op, luckily for him it's not getting any worse at the moment.:oops:

Good to meet you! My biggest bugbear is the yobbish cyclists who occupy the footpath and force me into the road to avoid them. Happened a couple of times today. Not had any issues with dog walkers, but there was a woman pushing her pram around my running track the other day!!!! :D

Now I'm working from home I'm going out every other day on a route where that is out of the way with a mixture of narrow and wide paths. On the whole everyone I've come across has been courteous, keeping the right distance, pulling off a track if it's narrow when it's not possible to keep a proper distance when passing.

This morning I came across 2 women and a dog who were clearly out for a "social" who were chatting and running slowly and oblivious of the world around them, luckily for me they stopped and turned back quite early on, but I did hear a snippet of information when was along the lines of "Dave was upset yesterday, because, when he came back from taking the dog for a walk along Burbage Edge, he had a note from the police on his windscreen from the police...."

Well, GWC is off. Offa's Dyke haven't admitted it is off yet (mid July, so lots of time for things to change).

Did a pleasing 10K training loop on Saturday, 46:20, which is the fastest I have done for a few years, and didn't feel that hard - nice conditions, and I had Friday as a rest day.

Trying not to get injured! Plan to slightly increase the length of my weekend long runs, but keep the weekly total in the low 30s, which is relatively low risk for me, but gives me a base in case I want to target a longer race in the autumn.

Injured.

Sore adductor - inside upper thigh. I'll give it a few days off and see how it feels then. I think probably gardening related, but also hurts when running.

How are we all? Just extended my training plan until June. Am entered in the Manchester half and the GNR, but not expecting them to happen. I know it’s no great measure, but V02 max as measured by my watch has gone up a lot, and I’m able to go not quite flat out for much longer. Hoping for a pleasing first Parkrun back if they ever happen again, small beer for some, but between 24/25 minutes might be possible. Sod’s Law says the next one will be the day before the Manchester half. Missing the social side of it. I never train with others, but I do like a bit of a gathering. Hopefully recovered from the gardening accident @PigletsDad?

Still injured. Tried a little running back in early April, did about 50k in total. Hip didn’t hurt as much as expected but getting a lot of (probably referred) pain in my gentleman’s area, which forced my to stop. Sadly, that pain is now somewhat chronic (but manageable) and I’m back to my Fitbit, logging steps. My target is min 10k steps every day, which is tougher than you’d expect in a WFH/ Lockdown scenario. No news on rescheduled op :(

Haven't checked in here for a while.

Feel for you JTC. Hope it eases up in the meantime whilst waiting..

Good stuff weekender, keep it up - as you say, slowly does it!

With no Parkruns (agree Lordy, I'm missing the PR gatherings and chitchat, even though I run alone), I've taken to longer Saturday morning runs as my daily exercise (one is enough thank you). Have run a half marathon on each of the last four Saturdays. Loving it - quiet lanes, quiet bridleways (about 1/3 is offroad), bluebell woods, some hills and fresh air. And blessed by wonderful weather.
Time has come down a little each week, though feeling correspondingly more tired after each one too.

Keep it up, all!

advertisement

Back