advertisement

The Rite of Spring

musicman56

50 years hifi & vinyl junkie
In 1971/2 I studied for music 'O' Level and one of the set pieces was Stravinsky's 'Rite of Spring'. I bought a pocket money copy to help in this endeavour and fell in love with it:
https://www.discogs.com/Stravinsky-Philharmonia-Orchestra-Markevitch-Rite-Of-Spring/release/1040442

I still have this disc but it is well past its best. So, has anyone a favourite version that can still be purchased (preferably on vinyl but CD at a pinch) that they could recommend?

All tips appreciated!

Edit: just realised this should be in the Classical section. Tony, please could you move it?

The Dorati/Minneapolis "Rite" on Mercury Living Presence should still be available. There's also a Dorati/Detroit on Decca/London, but I haven't heard it. Dorati always seems to do well with Slavic composers.

I like Ancerl/Czech Phil, Markevich/Suisse Romande, Boulez/French National Radio and TV Orchestra and Dorati/Minneapolis. Never heard a bad one though.

My vinyl copy is the Telarc Cleveland/Maazel, which is an early digital with serious dynamics, the groove modulation is just crazy. A real test record in its day. The Concertgebouw/Davis on Philips is really good too.

Very complimentary about his world premiere audience. My favourite quote of Stravinsky’s is “Prokofiev is Russia’s greatest living composer. After me”.

There was a Speakers Corner 180g re-issue of the Solti/CSO LP a few years ago, it is very good. Might still be available somewhere. That Markevitch recording you already have is still very highly regarded.

But my favourite Rite is Claudio Abbado/LSO which I have on a fantastic quality box set of all the Stravinsky Ballets, one of the best cleanest vinyl sets I have. So much so I'm scared to play it..... so I bought the CD issue and it still sounds fantastic.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000001GYI/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thanks everyone. I'll look into all your selections. It'll be great to have a decent sounding copy again.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back