advertisement

The return of the Wam Show 2022

Looks like a fun day out - meeting people rather than keyboard interacting.
Only thing that puts me off is the location. I mean Stoke …….

If you like gear and music, you shouldn't miss this opportunity to hear systems you would never in a million years get demonstrated in a hi fi dealers, and get exposed to new music your best friend would be too polite to play you!

I've exhibited a good few times, and attended most years. I'd say advice to first time attendees would be take some music - vinyl, CDs or maybe even a thumb drive as an exhibitor I loved playing/discovering peoples own music. Prioritise hearing systems with gear you've never heard of, as well as gear you've always wanted to hear - the former can be astonishing discoveries. If a room is full but sounds promising, make a note on your program to come back - if you're anything like me you'll almost certainly forget otherwise. And introduce yourself if you post here or on the Wam - its great to put faces to names.

Looks like a fun day out - meeting people rather than keyboard interacting.
Only thing that puts me off is the location. I mean Stoke …….

Stoke was a location most suitable for the show requirements , rooms ,room sizes , parking, restaurant , prices , central location , I'm just happy the show is on ( subject to possible future covid restrictions )

<moderating>

I’ve done a little pruning in line with the clearly stated ‘audio community’ clause of the AUP. See the ‘Terms and rules’ link at the bottom right on every single page.

So there is no need for my view? Sounds pretty typical wam in my opinion..of course people are allowed to go where and do what they wish..I find them advertising ( for want of a better expression) over here..a little annoying..surely the big wam doesn't need to...surely?

You can have a view, of course. But bitterness and unpleasantness has no place for a show that any hifi enthusiast can enjoy, regardless of which forum(s) they belong to. Trashing such an event is nothing but counter-productive to the community.

So, as someone who has never been to Scalford (but heard about it), nor frequented "the wam" .... can I ask a perhaps stupid question? Is it possible to just go along to this show as an ordinary joe soap and have a listen? Are there tickets, or do you just turn up? Do you have to be a member of hifi wigwam to attend?

That's entirely the point. Anyone can buy a ticket, wander around, enjoy the sounds, soak up the music, join in the banter. Its thoroughly recommended - take some music with you to be played, or request something from the playlist made available by the host of each room. Chill, listen, enjoy.

There's no need for this at all. People are entitled to belong to whichever forum they wish and many are in multiple forums.

The show is unique and is great for anyone interested in hifi, it doesn't have any political baggage at all for those who want to go and have a good day out.

Its also great for discovering new music too. I also loved the raffle competition at Scalford and tried to win the Harbeth speakers but failed miserably

I didn’t make the Kegworth gig but will definitely try and get up to this one. Always, some cracking systems to listen to.The best I heard to date was an very minimal analogue vinyl set-up, it truly sang and was unforgettable, I just loved it

take some music with you to be played

I can't emphasize this enough. Most people will obviously play stuff that compliments their systems. Take something like a Catfish and the Bottlemen CD to see if they can play that without sounding like a bag of nails.

One of my fave shows ever. Understated masterpiece,. And before you ask, no, I don't :)
Agreed, wonderful… I so wish they would commission another series… sadly Diana Rigg is no longer with us and her absence would be noted, but it’s a beautiful show… I don’t really do TV, it takes something special to draw me in.

I can't emphasize this enough. Most people will obviously play stuff that compliments their systems. Take something like a Catfish and the Bottlemen CD to see if they can play that without sounding like a bag of nails.
Try Billie Eilish-Xanny… that will make ANY system sound broken, first time I heard it, I thought my streamer had shat itself… and I did!

Can you recall any of the components featured please GB?

Sadly I can’t, although I’m fairly sure it was a Linn turntable. I have the program somewhere so will dig it out to see if I can find any details on there.

It was in March 2017, in the large room on the first floor if I recall, it had very high ceilings so was in the original part of the building.

It wasn’t a cheap system, around the £20k mark I believe. I have yet to hear a better sounding system though. My brother thought the same as we went together

So Saturday is for the Wam crowd, whilst Sunday is for us lesser mortals? I will more than likely go, but the North West Audio Show is also worth considering and has a non-trade vibe in my experience.

Not really Saturday is for set up and getting the rooms ready and systems installed any one can attend but if they are not with someone setting up then they will need to pay for a ticket for the Sunday and they will be able to listen to the systems probably Saturday afternoon and Evening. While i understand that many on here feel the Wam site is very closed off this is not my experience but we are all different . The Wam show is not just for those who are Wam members and is to try and let as many as possible from hear some different systems playing different and familiar music. The show has always been and I hope always will be very inclusive for all visitors where ever they are from or which forum they are signed up to .

The setting up and then fettling of a system in an new room is something many of us have done and requires time and patience and experience of what to change to get the best and most musical result. Those who have a room have paid for that room and gone to cost of bringing their equipment to the show . In some cases like mine they are on their own and so have no chance on the Sunday of getting out and hearing other systems except for perhaps an hour break when a volunteer babysits the room . So Saturday is not exclusive or private it is open for anyone who wants to be there but they have to understand this is not the show this is the day for work that goes on to get things set up for the show . In the evening it is also a time for those attending with a system (not all of the exhibitors may be regular Wam forum members) to relax and get to hear other rooms meet new friends and old friends have drink and enjoy themselves . It is not just for the Wam crowd as the show is not like that I may have not explained things correctly which is my fault but I would like this constant suggestion that it is an us and them day to be quashed as it is just not true.

I may have not explained things correctly which is my fault but I would like this constant suggestion that it is an us and them day to be quashed as it is just not true.

No fault on your part that I'm aware of. The "constant suggestion" seems to be coming from a very small number of members here who seem to have a chip on their shoulder for some reason. I'd ignore them tbh.

It’s the opposite of the show’s purpose. It was set up so that the public could experience real life amateur systems in all their glory and warts. Saturday is hard work. For many, a long drive, a new often odd sounding room, problems to solve etc. Not surprising that as the evening comes, people head to the bar and out to eat!
Sunday is exciting. I’ll not forget just how I felt when the door opened and the first stranger walked in! By 5pm I was knackered and still had to pack up, put back the furniture and drive home. Tired but happy, not to mention how much I learned from others there. Brilliant, and quite daft not to go if you can.

Try Billie Eilish-Xanny… that will make ANY system sound broken, first time I heard it, I thought my streamer had shat itself… and I did!

I see what you mean. Would be a bit cruel to take that around with you at the Wam show.

advertisement

Back