advertisement

The 'Real' PFM

BertieWorcester

What-ho!!
Or should I say 'Premiata Forneria Marconi'?

Caught a blistering set from them on the 'HMS Prog' adventure a couple of weeks ago, and their latest 'Emotional Tattoos' album just won't allow itself to be taken off my turntable. Apparently, they're booked to tear-up the Islington 02 Academy on 17th May.

Any love for them on here?

The first band I ever saw live. York University, 1976 on the Chocolate Kings tour. I doubt I’ve listened to them since!

i useed to listen to them regularly back in the early 70's and did like them quite a bit. i haven't recently but do still have a couple of their lp's (vinyl).

Been a fan since Fluff first played 'Celebration' back in '76 or thereabouts. Have all the early stuff and more recently liked the albums around 'Live in Japan', but not their more recent 'copies'. I hadn't heard of this album but have now ordered it - thanks for the heads up.
CHE

Saw them in London (New Victoria Theatre?) in the mid-‘seventies after seeing them on TOGWT. A mate and I sat in the circle and all of ELP sat in the row behind us with their partners!
May well have been the Chocolate Kings tour - that’s the only LP of theirs I have.

Mick

The two first LPs (Italian) are the best, and of course the live "Cook" album.

For me Chocolate Kings was the beginning of the decline for PFM. New vocalist with a wobbly voice, just couldn't take to it, then increasingly mainstream albums...
At their best they are musically lyrical and emotional, and typically Italian, and they have trons!

Just my my copy of 'Emotional Tattoos' and really enjoyed the English version. Italian version next !

CHE

I also had Photos of Ghosts on LP and the one with the volcano on the front - blue cover with cut out. Strangely, I can’t find either of them - bit like my original copy of DSotM!!

I also have a couple of downloads of individual tracks in the original Italian - I think that Pete Sinfield wrote the English lyrics. Saw them at Manchester Uni in the early ‘70s.

Recently rediscovered them via TIDAL.

The series of live albums recorded in Japan in 2015 (The World, A Ghost, Un Minuto, Un Amico, Un' Isola) are spectacularly good with great performances and sound quality.

Recently rediscovered them via TIDAL.

The series of live albums recorded in Japan in 2015 (The World, A Ghost, Un Minuto, Un Amico, Un' Isola) are spectacularly good with great performances and sound quality.

Agreed. I'm very tempted to get those on vinyl. They are (maybe were) available on Amazon Italy.

A few years ago, they released an Italy-only vinyl set which included the first two Italian albums on vinyl and a third LP of contemporary live stuff. It's very good and ended my search for vinyl copies of the first two.

Just wanted to bump this tread as I am really enjoying 'Emotional Tattoos'. There is enough new stuff to be interesting with sufficient nods to past songs, even via the new band members, to link the history. Djivas is still a suberb bass player - one of the best around and too often overlooked in my opinion.

CHE

Just bought a copy of 'The Manticore Studio Albums' which contain, er, the Manticore albums PoG, TWBTW, CK and Jet Lag to enjoy. Anyone else had a punt on them ?

CHE

Last edited:
Not a punt...always loved them since I heard "Celebration" on the radio in the early 70s. The track has a Genesis swing to it which attracted me to them. Next I had a recording of the second "In Concert" with the new vocalist and played it to death. Then I got the live album called "Cook" which is outstanding. There is a double cd version with a remastered version and a longer unedited full concert version. After that, you must must must go for the first two albums in the original Italian versions...they're uber prog!!!

Only just read that PFM have released a new album entitled 'I Dreamed Of Electric Sheep'. Anyone heard it and would like to comment on how it compares to past discs ?

CHE

Just listened to the Italian version ('Ho sognato pecore elettriche') of 'I Dreamed Of Electric Sheep' via TIDAL.

Good enough on first listening but not an instant classic.

Opening instrumental track ('Mono Paralleli') has that familiar Stravinsky/metal/ELP mix. Through the album thee Hammond, piano and synth are there sounding as wild as ever. The bass lines are great and there is some Tull-esque flutework. Vocals don't quite have that yearning optimistic edge of the original albums. The drums have that "phat" gated sound (think Metallica) which is fine for small speakers and FM but is less appealing on larger speakers. Transhumanza Jam (the last bonus track) is a fun coda.

I do not think you would regret buying it.

advertisement

Back