advertisement

The Premiership of Mary Elizabeth Truss.Sept 2022 - Oct 2022

Yes but any personal qualities in the leader that the Electorate may have liked under Boris Johnson, are not there under Liz Truss. The Conservatives cannot rely on that as a figleaf. This is from three weeks ago, I can't imagine what it looks like now.

So would the dead dog we'd have been better putting up in '97

The distribution of wealth via postcode really annoys me. It entirely politically engineered and devoid of all logic. Many areas have just been allowed to rot. Arguably actively encouraged by the state to do so.

I’ve a lot of time for property such as the little £25k two up two down Victorian terrace pictured. There are many around where I live and they can easily be modernised into lovely starter-homes or ‘two-floor flats’ for single folk. My house is the next size up; the type with a bay window, two living rooms, three bedrooms, a cellar, and a bit sticking out the back for the bathroom and kitchen. It is a perfectly acceptable family home, much larger and nicer layout-wise to a lot of modern new-builds. The only thing wrong with these houses is where they are, and that is 100% socioeconomic/political, the house itself is blameless. I live within a 20 minute train journey of Manchester and you can find a nice little terrace such as the one pictured, but largely restored and perfectly habitable, for about £60k. In That London it would be £1m+.

The distribution of wealth via postcode really annoys me. It entirely politically engineered and devoid of all logic. Many areas have just been allowed to rot. Arguably actively encouraged by the state to do so.

I’ve a lot of time for property such as the little £25k two up two down Victorian terrace pictured. There are many around where I live and they can easily be modernised into lovely starter-homes or ‘two-floor flats’ for single folk. My house is the next size up; the type with a bay window, two living rooms, three bedrooms, a cellar, and a bit sticking out the back for the bathroom and kitchen. It is a perfectly acceptable family home, much larger and nicer layout-wise to a lot of modern new-builds. The only thing wrong with these houses is where they are, and that is 100% socioeconomic/political, the house itself is blameless. I live within a 20 minute train journey of Manchester and you can find a nice little terrace such as the one pictured, but largely restored and perfectly habitable, for about £60k. In That London it would be £1m+.

I agree, with the caveat that older houses can be considerably more expensive to heat and maintain.
I don’t know how it is now in England but here is the US property values are completely dependent on commuting access to jobs and school results. The house itself is much less important.

Yes I remember reading that when you posted it.

There has to be more planning than that for this reason: they have been specific about what they want to achieve. They've said 2.5% growth p.a. They've said that they can start to pay off the debt in three years. Truss has asserted that she can do this and make £30 billion of tax cuts. That sounds to me like a quantitative plan.

By the way, in writing this post I've noticed that Truss had been talking about £30bn of cuts and in the event it turned out to be £45bn. Is this market reaction about the excess £15bn?

And my question remains -- why don't they share the logic which leads them to these figures? Why this brinkmanship?

And another thing, the BOE doesn't seem spooked by today's events. And neither does Kwartung. Why not?

It's a simple plan and one the tories seem happy to repeat. Dodgy Dave gave his pals the chance to short the UK, then it was Boris' turn, now it's Truss' turn. Just a way to syphon cash into the right pockets as the tax cuts aren't enough. Crikey, even Lamont had a go years ago. Bet the FCA do SFA about the insider dealing, again.

UK markets have lost at least $500 billion in combined value since Liz Truss took over as prime minister

Bloomberg (Twitter).

PS Just wait until the incoming interest rates hit. That’s when the business closures and home repossessions will occur.

I agree, with the caveat that older houses can be considerably more expensive to heat and maintain.
I don’t know how it is now in England but here is the US property values are completely dependent on commuting access to jobs and school results. The house itself is much less important.
Same here. Or, as we were advised, ‘Better to buy a grotty house in a nice area than a nice house in a grotty area’.

I remember when we bought our first house thinking ‘how can some bricks and mortar cost so much?’

Yep, that’s very much the same here (with a few exceptions). Location, location, location.

Another area where old houses are blameless because the world has moved on is a lack of any parking at a lot of them.

Streets and streets of lovely old houses but you can't park within half a mile of the bloody place.

And regards location, it is more a case of just going with what is available and location is secondary, for me at least. I keep showing my Dad some of the places I've looked at and his first response is always "why would you want to live there" - I don't, but it is where the bloody house is!!

advertisement

Back