advertisement

The Premiership of Mary Elizabeth Truss.Sept 2022 - Oct 2022

I was going to ask KS what he thought wealthy meant? I’d say you’re properly wealthy when events of this year worry you not a jot. If your assets tumbled 50% and it made no difference to your lifestyle, spending or future plans. That sort of level of wealth. Of course, this will differ vastly depending on the individual.

Well, we have no investments beyond cash ISAs and our house and we can weather most of what's coming (at the moment) but I'd not consider Mrs Seeker or I as "wealthy".

Cheerleader of doom, Kate Andrews (ex-IEA, now Spectator) reckons the market reaction only helps the government, who want higher rates anyway (Twitter):

"*Reminder*
The Truss government wants interest rates to rise faster. It's a key part of its new economic strategy.
So if market reaction to this mini-Budget forces the Bank of England's hand, that is a design feature, not a design flaw, of Truss's plan."

Meanwhile, Ed Conway notes (Twitter):

"Blimey. Investors are now bett[ing] on UK interest rates topping 6 per cent by the first half of next year. You can see the expectations rising literally by the minute…"

These Tories sure are clever, getting a panic-stricken market to do its work for them.o_O
She’s a right wing troll, fronting the US hard right in Britain- at first openly, now a little more slyly. Don’t be fooled by the squeaky voiced concerned teenager shtick

Well, we have no investments beyond cash ISAs and our house and we can weather most of what's coming (at the moment) but I'd not consider Mrs Seeker or I as "wealthy".

The fact you think you can weather a storm means you are wealthy IMHO. People who aren’t wealthy have to change tack during difficult times. Many will be completely stuffed.

I was going to ask KS what he thought wealthy meant? I’d say you’re properly wealthy when events of this year worry you not a jot. If your assets tumbled 50% and it made no difference to your lifestyle, spending or future plans. That sort of level of wealth. Of course, this will differ vastly depending on the individual.

I mostly meant these people who are off the scale!

52385328646_8a6310f1dd_z.jpg

The fact you think you can weather a storm means you are wealthy IMHO. People who aren’t wealthy have to change tack during difficult times. Many will be completely stuffed.

As you suggest in your following post it's not completely binary. We are at the lower end of the pay scale but have savings and low outgoings. We won't be troubling the food bank but we'll certainly reducing our (already modest!) spending. £6 for a pint starts to look expensive.

If government spending had been spread more evenly (red line) with more people who are more likely to spend any tax advantage back into the economy, we wouldn’t have the chaos we are facing

52385651944_c6db054fab_z.jpg

Not necessarily. Just because you pay 45% income tax doesn’t mean you have huge wealth. All depends on liabilities and commitments.
That was very much my point. I was pointing to the people who do have huge wealth

As you suggest in your following post it's not completely binary. We are at the lower end of the pay scale but have savings and low outgoings. We won't be troubling the food bank but we'll certainly reducing our (already modest!) spending. £6 for a pint starts to look expensive.

Exactly. I’ll still go to the pub (currently £3.40 for a pint of Gold, but not if it’s £6) but won’t be buying stuff I don’t need, new clothes, HiFi gear, cars etc. When things get tricky, it’s not necessarily what your income is, it’s what your outgoings are.

I do think the wealthy are not really the problem not least because there is not so many of them.

Rather, the main problem is this great mass of people who, while they understand they are not wealthy, think they have more in common with the rich than the poor and so support governments who won't address inequality as they mistakenly think this is in their best interest. If you have a nice house, a nice car and a comfortable life then you would be better off if you stopped supporting policies designed by and for the "proper wealthy".

i.e. it's so much not rich people it's the middle classes who identify as rich that is the problem IYSWIM.

Sunak warned this would happen. The Spectator assured us it was doomer nonsense. https://twitter.com/premnsikka/status/1574329043331305480 :D

"With just a few desperate days left in his doomer leadership campaign, he has declared his opponent's tax and spending plans so wild and reckless they risk a full-blown sterling crisis of the sort we have not seen since the 1970s."
It’s the Express but with Oxbridge graduates writing the articles.

advertisement

Back