advertisement

The power of black and white

cctaylor

pfm Member
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52486923

Just been watching a report on BBC News. The reporter spent a night shift on the ICU at Hairmyres Hospital near Glasgow. His words were accompanied by a series of black and white images. I feel that if was a great choice of medium. The black and white seemed less intrusive and somehow more moving. I would guess that the available light images would have been noisy and rendering them as b&w was a great choice.

Reminds me how good old fashioned photo journalisim can be.

Snap, they were some of the best images I have seen for a long time on the TV. Very high impact and superb resolution, they matched the commentary perfectly, exceptionally moving....

For documentary photography of this kind I believe black and white is almost essential, it seems to accentuate movement and drama. And colour is very distracting.

Hello all,

I agree with all the sentiments above, some years ago there was a plea to photographers to take street pics, there being rumours emanating from the EU that it would be stopped.

I got on a bus with my little camera and went to our local town, started in colour and realised that it was too distracting. Changed to B&W and it got better instantly, I refined my technique to; camera under my chin index finger on the shutter release, 28mm, f4, manual zone focussing, and gerrin close. I thought I would look a bit daft and felt it, but no one noticed.

After taking some I would look through them for a theme and some weeks later it occurred to me that I was ignoring older folk. I'm an old fogie myself and thought worran eejit and started concentrating on them.

I found the fail rate was about 1:50, I had to keep doing it, I had to be able to react instantly without thinking about it, I called the oldie pics 'The unobserved' and this is one of them.

aminus-P1000112.jpg

Cheers

advertisement

Back