advertisement

The Post-Brexit UK Music Industry - where's it all going?

Devonian

Pursuing my ultimate musical orgasm
Without wishing to initiate a (boring) contentious Brexit bashing debate, I'm interested to hear other members views and opinions on how Brexit (assuming it will actualy happen!) will impact the UK music industry - from both positive and negative perspectives please! And please let's all respect our individual views across the spectrum without casting any personal retribution.

I think we can all agree that, across the decades, politics and socio-economic events have been ingrained in the development of the UK music scene. Events that disrupt the fabric of society, and force changes to cultural associations across all social groups (mainly amongst the youth), have consistently influenced and energised musical creativity and development of new and existing genres. Classical, Folk, Blues and Jazz, Rock/Punk, Pop, Hip-Hop ... they've all been shaped, to some degree, by politically charged events and/or society upheaval.

So where is Brexit taking us? Is it all a doom and gloom scenario, that will result in the demise of the growth of the UK music global industry's influence and economic contribution? Or could we be on the threshold of a new and exciting period that will prove to be a positive and exciting formative force-of-change? Could we see a 60's/70's 'esq revival in political-activism and the spawning of new music that more adequately supports the anti-establishment mood, anger and frustration of our youth that perhaps can't be adequately voiced within our soft, politically-correct but still fractious online society?

To quote Billy Bragg on the topic ... “Music can make you feel like you’re not the only one who cares about this shit”.

Practically, I'm sure the top-line stars will be totally unaffected. But ...

If we re-introduce border controls or carnets after we leave (for business travellers), it will kill touring for mid-level bands. We play in Europe to 1-2000 people and just about break even.

Most CD/Vinyl production is in the EU these days, so tariffs could impact costs—again, especially bad for mid-level bands.

If we are reduced to 90 day visas, collaboration with European musicians could be damaged.

The pound drops more and the cost of instruments goes up—especially bad if there are duties added.

But it's all unknown at present.

Stephen

Last edited:

advertisement

Back