advertisement

The Pono player

Mr_Sukebe

pfm Member
Anyone know when the first Pono player will become available?

Frankly, I don't give a stuff about what music you'll be able to buy from Ponomusic or whatever they're called. I already have well over 1k CDs that are in FLAC format and just waiting to be dropped onto another unit.

What DOES interest me is the idea of a high quality unit that "might" sound substantially better than my Iphone whilst I'm either on the move, at work or overseas.

So, focusing upon purely the hardware (there's already a thread about the music), any thoughts?

What DOES interest me is the idea of a high quality unit that "might" sound substantially better than my Iphone whilst I'm either on the move, at work or overseas.

I have no idea when the Pono will hit the stores, but I'd like to try one out.

Some well known musicians have said that they support Neil Young's project. Of course they might interested in the Pono because it will increase the sales of their work. Nonetheless I don't think Neil Young will produce a piece of dodgy gear ...

Jack

It's not difficult to get a player that sounds substantially better than an iPhone, without even spending as much as your iPhone cost. I've been using a little Sansa Clip + for a couple of years now. It was less than £30 and has a micro SD card slot. I'm running Rockbox firmware on it and it'll play anything you throw at it, including 24/96 files - albeit downsampled. I got the chance to compare it to the new A&K unit a few weeks back and as much as I quite liked the A&K interface, and yes, it is MILES better than the Sansa's tiny little blue display, in terms of sound quality - I really didn't think there was a lot in it.

Anyone know when the first Pono player will become available?

Frankly, I don't give a stuff about what music you'll be able to buy from Ponomusic or whatever they're called. I already have well over 1k CDs that are in FLAC format and just waiting to be dropped onto another unit.

So, focusing upon purely the hardware (there's already a thread about the music), any thoughts?

The Pono should be available in October. I guess Ayre Acoustics can make a better dac than the one in a Iphone.

The Pono should be available in October. I guess Ayre Acoustics can make a better dac than the one in a Iphone.

I agree, the Pono SHOULD be available in October.

But when I look at the work they have to do and the time they have to do it in I'd say no way it will ship on time.

Maybe 6 months after October. Or even longer.

I use a Sansa Clip too, it does seem quaintly old fashioned now, but still sounds great, is tiny and the battery lasts ages. It's on the plane to LA with me next week, that's for sure.
Pono player might replace it one day, I hope it all catches on.

advertisement

Back