advertisement

The Photography Purchase Confessional Thread (GAS)

Mr. P,

Loving the 'man maths' :D

My man maths adds up. The difference between the 85mm f/1.4 and the two lenses I traded in came to 150 Canuck clams (about 90 of your UK squids) out of pocket. Not quite a swap, but close enough for a serious hunk of glass I've been goobering over since I first saw one in the mid 1980s.

Well, that's what I've convinced myself.

Joe

Unused and therefore mint!

arSViujh.jpg

Sticky mirrors are the main problem. Robin at Harrow Technical is still servicing these cameras so I will send the camera off for a full service, which should mitigate this issue for a long time.

I've seen folks advertising a service to do that but I'm not sure how prevalent it is as I don't recall it being discussed much on the Pentax forums I'm on.

Mine is supposed to have been serviced and from playing around with it, it seems to be working well. I've got a pile of 35mm film in the fridge as well, so really must get around to putting some of that through it. Here's another shot of mine, with the motor-drive fitted and a couple of lens I'll likely use with it.

168857721.4ucIRjvX.lx01.jpg

I have got a 35mm f2.8 and 50mm f2 on the way from ebay. The 50mm was only £20 and is a stop-gap while I decide if I want the f1.4 or f1.2. The camera purchase was not a great experience from ebay Japan this time. The camera arrived with a cross threaded and badly tool-damaged battery cover despite the photos showing the cover in perfect condition. Robin says he can replace the battery cover but hopefully the threads on the base plate are not trashed.

I have got a 35mm f2.8 and 50mm f2 on the way from ebay. The 50mm was only £20 and is a stop-gap while I decide if I want the f1.4 or f1.2.

I've got the Porst 50 F1.2 in K-mount and God alone knows how many 50mm F1.7's (in K, KA and KAF fits) but despite the number of Pentax lenses I've got (or have owned) I've never actually had one of their 50mm F2's or the 50mm F1.4.

I've been tempted by the Pentax 50mm F1.2 but they're still pretty expensive used and 50mm isn't a focal length I find I use a lot. I suspect the lens I'm likely to use most with the LX is a 24mm F2.

I got some John Lewis vouchers at Christmas so decided to use those to put towards a Panasonic Lumix TZ100. I've been very impressed with my Sony RX100 MkIII, which is also a 1" sensor compact, but wanted a similar camera but with a longer zoom for when I'm walking the dog. The Panasonic is about a 1/3rd of the price of the latest version of the RX100 which the longer zoom and the reviews are decent, so thought I'd give it a go.

I'm sure you will get on fine with the TZ100. I have only two criticisms, the dioptre correction is too easily moved, the display with the level is too "busy". As with all retractable lens cameras probably best to keep it in a dedicated pouch. To avoid dust from your pocket being sucked into the lens and ending up on the sensor.

I have just ordered a Nikon ES-2 slide copying attachment and a used Olympus 30mm macro lens so that I can make digital copies of some of the family slide archive. The lens is coming from MBP, first purchase from them.

I have just ordered a Nikon ES-2 slide copying attachment and a used Olympus 30mm macro lens so that I can make digital copies of some of the family slide archive. The lens is coming from MBP, first purchase from them.

Do not forget to get a light panel to iluminate the slide (unless the slide copier incorporates a light source)

I'm sure you will get on fine with the TZ100. I have only two criticisms, the dioptre correction is too easily moved, the display with the level is too "busy". As with all retractable lens cameras probably best to keep it in a dedicated pouch. To avoid dust from your pocket being sucked into the lens and ending up on the sensor.

Cheers. It'll be interesting to see how it compares to the RX100. From previous experience with Lumix point and shoots (my wife has killed 3 or 4 of them!) they seem a bit fragile but I have a belt mounted case that I currently carry the RX100 in and should also fit the TZ100. Based on reviews I'm expecting the viewfinder to not be as good as the RX100 one, however I'm not that fussy as long as it has one (my eyesight not being what it used to be).

I've got an underwater housing on order for the RX100 as the plan is for it now to be used when I'm swimming with the dog or snorkeling. I was using a Fuji point and shoot with an underwater case previously and results with that were decent enough, however the Sony should be a lot better I think.

My Olympus 30mm macro arrived today from MPB. Described as "used" and "like new".

It doesn't look like it has been out of the box. Protective film was still on the lens cap Looks new to me so very happy.

My Olympus 30mm macro arrived today from MPB. Described as "used" and "like new".

It doesn't look like it has been out of the box. Protective film was still on the lens cap Looks new to me so very happy.

Doesn't surprise me - MPB, in my experience, have always been superb. Nice lens too, the 30 Macro - it often gets forgotten against its bigger 60mm brother, but is a super bit of kit in its own right.

advertisement

Back