advertisement

The Photography Purchase Confessional Thread (GAS)

Been after a camera with decent AF tracking/speed performance and whilst the 7D2 isn't current tech, it's reported to be fairly capable. I really wanted a D500 but they're still fetching serious money, even those with high click counts. For half the price, I got hold of a 7D2. APS-C means my 70-200 gives a 320mm FoV.

Still, got 14 days to see how we get on...

7D2 by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Been after a camera with decent AF tracking/speed performance and whilst the 7D2 isn't current tech, it's reported to be fairly capable. I really wanted a D500 but they're still fetching serious money, even those with high click counts. For half the price, I got hold of a 7D2. APS-C means my 70-200 gives a 320mm FoV.

Still, got 14 days to see how we get on...

7D2 by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

I had one from new when it came out. A/F was very good. Kept it for quite some time. Not up to the incredible R3 performance but good enough for most situations. Excellent camera. Only downside, not fantastic (but not bad!) low light capability. I would be amazed if you didn't like it.

I've been on the look out for a copy of Michael Kenna's Retrospective Two for a while, but their scarcity puts a premium on them. However one became available through Oxfam books online at an acceptable price, & a rare treat it is - possibly a better set of images than the original, particularly selections like the old French lace factories that I'd not been aware of previously:

52911842220_6d3af80fd6_c.jpg

52911455701_b53d1521f1_c.jpg

52911912213_500502c27b_c.jpg

Last edited:
I've been on the look out for a copy of Michael Kenna's Retrospective Two for a while, but their scarcity puts a premium on them. However one became available through Oxfam books online at an acceptable price, & a rare treat it is - possibly a better set of images than the original, particularly selections like the old French lace factories that I'd not been aware of previously:

52911842220_6d3af80fd6_c.jpg

52911455701_b53d1521f1_c.jpg

52911912213_500502c27b_c.jpg
Wow!

I keep teasing myself with the idea of an XT5 or an XH2. My son is off on his trip with my wife's XT10. Maybe it will spark a passion for photography in him which means my XT2 could go to him and free me to buy a new body :)

Also toying with the 1.4 Fuji TC for my 100-400 since I live on the coast and getting some really great shots across to the other side would benefit from a touch more reach...

I keep teasing myself with the idea of an XT5 or an XH2. My son is off on his trip with my wife's XT10. Maybe it will spark a passion for photography in him which means my XT2 could go to him and free me to buy a new body :)

Also toying with the 1.4 Fuji TC for my 100-400 since I live on the coast and getting some really great shots across to the other side would benefit from a touch more reach...

I got the XT-5 recently and really enjoy the experience, to me its a great camera

Just picked up a very nice used AF-S NIKKOR 300mm 1:4E PF ED VRII, to work alongside my 500mm 5.6E PF ED VRII. Close focus is 1.4M on the 300, whilst it’s 3M on the 500, so no more stepping back into streams on narrow tracks. Along with the 105mm f2.8 macro Nikkor this make up my nature/wildlife kit with the D850 and D300 bodies, hopefully test it out properly tomorrow weather permitting ;)

mpb rules again.
Just traded my unused Canon G 5X 11 for a lens I've been hunting for ages. Mpb do a 'we will inform you when one comes in' service (which I didn't have much faith in...wrongly AITO) and this am I had an email saying they had a Zeiss Milvus 50mm f1.4 in excellent condition.
Now mine. Virtually a straight swap, no postal charges, painless. I send the Canon, they check it and adjust their offer according to condition etc, I pay the difference and 2 or 3 days later, I have the lens.
Pics when it arrives. Hoping it's as sharp as my old Sigma Art, or maybe even better since Zeiss coatings do IME give lovely colour and contrast in all lights.
Hoorah.

Congratulations!

It's surprisingly enjoyable just getting the best out of what you have, less is more for the stuff I'm interested in ....

.....(at the moment!)...

Last edited:
Reactions: JTC
I agree, though I'm a contra-example of this, having bought the Q2 and a couple of Fuji lenses, plus a tripod, all in the past year.

And now I've got a proper horn for a T&S solution for my Fuji to go with the XH2 or XT5 I'm teasing myself with. Oh, and a teleconverter for the 100-400, since sometimes 400 just isn't enough....

I agree, though I'm a contra-example of this, having bought the Q2 and a couple of Fuji lenses, plus a tripod, all in the past year.

And now I've got a proper horn for a T&S solution for my Fuji to go with the XH2 or XT5 I'm teasing myself with. Oh, and a teleconverter for the 100-400, since sometimes 400 just isn't enough....

Tilt Shift on APSC sensors is challenging, not that it can't be done, but because the resultant equivalent focal length is longer than what you might really want.

The Canon FD mount 35mm is possibly the most cost effective option, but I'm not sure that would give best on the resolution of X-H2/X-T5, other than that you are probably into the world of Nikon or Canon EF mount via a suitable adapter.

I must admit that despite my lack of gear purchases, the firthcoming Tilt Shift GF30mm for the GFX has me salivating...........................

advertisement

Back