Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The Photography Purchase Confessional Thread (GAS)

Discussion in 'photo' started by Mr Perceptive, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

It was borrowing (then buying) the 5D Mk1 which got me onto the Canon route again - yes I'm a kit-swapper, but along with doing the photography (within my limited skill-set) I just love trying out gear. The only camera that's got near to having the beautiful rendering of my old Nikon D700 has been the 5D. The Nikon's colours are cooler, and it wins on skin tone - just - but the Canon has a warmth, a creaminess which is so addictive. Of course it's not overly true-to-life but I'm thoroughly un-bothered about that. There's an honest, simple and very 'direct' way to use the 5D and I like that.

Now, a personal view of course, but for me the last Fuji sensor that I've truly liked was that in the X-Pro2/X-T2/X-H1. I don't really like the newer one, and the more film sims/tweakability Fujifilm add to their cameras, the more I dislike using them. With the X-Pro1, it's Provia with everything set 'flat' or Mono with green filter and hard shadow. That's it - and the pictures it puts out are just gorgeous.

2. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

I’ve never tried a Fuji film sim on my XT2 - RAW baby!!!

3. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

I've always shot RAW in all my cameras but have the jpeg alongside - the RAW file can be a handy back-up if needed, of course. Lightroom has come a very long way in its processing of Fuji RAF files, but I just wish they'd junk the X-Trans sensor array. I (and many others it would seem) see it as an answer to a virtually non-existent problem.

Lefty likes this.
  4. Lefty

Lefty Trade: Amar Sood Photo

I agree 100% with this. I like everything else about them. but the X-Trans is the one thing that puts me off Fuji cameras. The GFX cameras have bayer sensors and are all the better for it (IMHO). Also, the original X100 was a bayer sensor equipped camera and we all know how wonderful the images are from that.

Lefty

5. eternumviti

eternumviti Wittering on the Vine

Are we sure we're on the right thread, chaps?

6. andrewd

andrewd pfm Member

after going through a collector phase accumulating most of the film cameras I lusted after in the 90’s I have now added a game changer camera in terms of image quality. Mamiya RZ67 Pro ii. Can’t wait to see what it can do.

7. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

Now that's a proper camera!

andrewd likes this.
  8. John H

John H pfm Member

Nice, used to use one daily back in the day - closest to it now is the rubber lens hood from an RZ 80mm lens that I use on my Nikkor 70-200 zoom

andrewd likes this.