advertisement

The Photography Purchase Confessional Thread (GAS)

Gone a bit mad. :D

Out: Nikon D3s, 50-1.8, 85-1.8 & Sigma 100-400

In: X-T3, 16-1.4 & 56-1.2

Staying: X-Pro1 & 3, XF23-1.4, XF35 & 50 f2, D700 & 24-70 2.8G, GRIII.

Why?

Firstly, whilst not 'cold dead hands' material, the D700 still produces the most gorgeous images and will likely outlast me. My copy of the Nikkor 24-70 is an absolute cracker too.

One of the reasons I hadn't gone both-feet into the Fuji system is down to how LR treats (or treated) the RAF files. Since getting the Pro3, I've noticed that Adobe have finally got their act together where X-Trans is concerned. No wormy artefacts, even with the sharpness turned up way beyond the realms of good taste. Strangely, the Pro1 RAFs still misbehave so I can only conclude that LR have 'forgotten' about the earlier sensor(s). Still, Iridient X Transformer is no hardship, working seamlessly as a plug-in.

After doing some photography using my tripod and quickly came to the conclusion that an L-bracket would be useful. Now my camera is a Panasonic Lumix G9. Dedicated L-brackets were produced by Smallrig and RRS when the G9 was launched but are no longer available probably due to lack of demand. So these days are as easy to find as hens teeth.

I did a quick internet search anyway and a link to eBay popped up. Following this up I came on a Smallrig L-bracket for the G9 at a very reasonable price. It arrived today, and as described it appears never to have been used. It is a thing beauty, with a hinged section to access the battery, the upright can be set off to the side to access the left side ports and so that the camera can be "tethered". In this position it could be also used to give a two-handed grip for video.

Took the plunge and brought a Sony A6400 c/w the 18-135mm kit lens, so far I've been impressed with the results. I brought this as a walk around camera and as a starting point for the Sony camera system. The next step will be the Sony A7iv

There seem to be good deals on the GFX50S II as it's 'only' 50mp. What a bonkers world we live in!

Agreed. :)

When it was first announced, but yet to read of its full specs, I was quite excited about the X-T5; a more stills-centric Fuji camera sounded great, then I saw the '40MP'. Not interested, and whilst some folk would consider it a step too far the other way, I've been using my Nikon D700 far more just recently. Shot a friend's wedding back in October, hoping to use only X-T3 and X-Pro3. Took the D700 along as my flash unit is Nikon-dedicated - ended up using the D700 most of the day as its IQ is just so much nicer.

A GFX with, say, 24MP? I would like the sound of that. :)

Agreed. :)

When it was first announced, but yet to read of its full specs, I was quite excited about the X-T5; a more stills-centric Fuji camera sounded great, then I saw the '40MP'. Not interested, and whilst some folk would consider it a step too far the other way, I've been using my Nikon D700 far more just recently. Shot a friend's wedding back in October, hoping to use only X-T3 and X-Pro3. Took the D700 along as my flash unit is Nikon-dedicated - ended up using the D700 most of the day as its IQ is just so much nicer.

A GFX with, say, 24MP? I would like the sound of that. :)

A 50MP GFX only has the same pixel density (photo-sites) as 12MP APSC - think of it as a supersized X100 (original)

There seem to be good deals on the GFX50S II as it's 'only' 50mp. What a bonkers world we live in!
There are some great deals across the whole GFX system at the moment, now’s the time to make your move, if that’s your hankering. I decided to take the plunge as I missed my Mamiya 645, hopefully the Fuji will bring back some of that discipline and enjoyment.

There are some great deals across the whole GFX system at the moment, now’s the time to make your move, if that’s your hankering. I decided to take the plunge as I missed my Mamiya 645, hopefully the Fuji will bring back some of that discipline and enjoyment.

Welcome to the GFX club :)

KdKr3Ap.jpg

advertisement

Back