advertisement

The Photography Purchase Confessional Thread (GAS)

Fuji's 'forgotten lens' - the 50 f2. The 50 doesn't seem to get a lot of love, but those who've bought and used it really sing its praises, rating it as a dark horse in the range. I'm a fan of the Fujicrons; they're small, nicely built, silent in use and whilst they (referring to the 35 in particular) don't get people all misty-eyed in the way the 1.4 versions do, they're damn fine little lumps of glass IME.

We're off on holiday next week and have been trying to compile as compact a package as possible - my GRIII with the GW-4 converter, the Pro1 with the 35 & 50 Fujicrons. Sorted*.

Fujicron 50 by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

*Yeah right!! I just know all the rest of my gear's going but you gotta try eh? :D

We're off on holiday next week and have been trying to compile as compact a package as possible - my GRIII with the GW-4 converter, the Pro1 with the 35 & 50 Fujicrons. Sorted*.

*Yeah right!! I just know all the rest of my gear's going but you gotta try eh? :D

I find that with less gear I take better images, I no choice but to work with what I have. I've been on holiday with just X100F, WCL and TCL

Try just taking the GRIII with the GW-4 converter, the Pro1 with the 35 & 50 Fujicrons, you might find it liberating (and you can always curse me when it doesn't meet your requirements :D)

EkFF4m1h.jpg

Oh that is nice - I have a 635 which is nigh on identical bar the meter. Recently bought a new focus screen which made a big difference.

The focus screen isn't bad, few spots, here and there, will give it a good clean first, just put a roll in it, off to test now!

D850 on the way, selling my D800 and D500 will partially fund this - got a pretty heavy discount for the us Labor Day sales. Interestingly I paid more (quite a bit more) for my d800 back in 2012! I was really torn between the D850 and a Z7ii, but the lack of compatibility with screw focus lenses and the lack of any discernable image improvements without replacing all my existing lenses swayed my decision.

slightly OT, but happy for the general wider use it opens-up (inc my Yashicamat) - I bought a beast of a tripod off canonman, purely because it'll take my rather heavy 8x50 bins for much-enhanced sky /stargazing.

(My X100 would be lost on this, it'd look like a joke - with the x100 I get really good 30s exposures with just a Manifrotto Pixi! (hint - tweak the tension to taste with the three small torx-head screws on the underside of the head, after adding the merest hint of silicone grease to the ball; still my go-to tripod for last 9yrs)

IMG_1415_600px.jpg

Forgive me god of GAS, for I fear I may have sinned. I have agreed to buy a minty Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f1.4G. My trusty 50mm 1.4 AF-D (with HR-2 rubber hood and box/paperwork) will need to be put up for adoption. By way of atonement, I'll be sure to have a (somewhat boring) shootout between 1.8G, 1.4D, 1.4G before I split them up.

I note that the1.8G is great for focus speed, it spends a lot of time with my daughter on her D7000 as she learns about portraiture.

In my case I had been looking out for either a tatty-but-good Leica Q-P or Q2 at a low price, but a supposedly mint Q2 came up at not much more than tatty-but-good money from a dealer. I couldn't turn down the opportunity. Hopefully (assuming it wasn't a listing error on their part) I should have it later this week....

My only regret is that it means I should thin down the Fuji set, since I'll have some duplication.

I did lean a bit toward the idea of an M camera, but ultimately this was too good to ignore. Maybe one day I might dabble with an M, but for now I'm going to rock my new Q2 :)

52390144737_3388d3ed10_c.jpg

I managed to buy the last new Fuji X100V in the UK.... And paid normal retail price for it! :cool: they have been unobtainium for months due to chip shortages so no idea how WEX came to have one on Monday.... but they don't have it anymore! I really miss the X100S that I sold to Marchbanks a couple of years ago and have been looking to get one for a while now.

First impression is that it feels lighter than the old model? and the new electronic viewfinder is massively better than the joke one in the X100S....its just as good as in any mirrorless camera I've used so I doubt I'll be using it in optical mode much, even though it now gives a full suite of info in the optical VF.

When it ever comes back into stock in UK camera shops it will be around £2k I reckon..... what with sterling collapse and gouging. In fact - they are priced at £1994 on Amazon UK right now. And MPB are selling used examples at more than the RRP which I paid.

Last edited:
In a way related to the above, I’m quite glad I got the Q2 before the pound tanked. Next cheapest mint Q2 around is considerably more expensive. I gots me a bargain (insofar as nothing Leicaesque is ever a real bargain)…,

Forgive me god of GAS, for I fear I may have sinned. I have agreed to buy a minty Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f1.4G.

You are not the Messiah, you are a very naughty boy. :D:D:D

However, I must confess that only a couple of weeks ago, I traded in my Canon EF 50mm f1.8 for a very nice EF 50mm f1.4. It has currently supplanted my EF 24-105 f4.0 L as the lens most often to be found on my 5D4.

52390144737_3388d3ed10_c.jpg

I managed to buy the last new Fuji X100V in the UK.... And paid normal retail price for it! :cool: they have been unobtainium for months due to chip shortages so no idea how WEX came to have one on Monday.... but they don't have it anymore! I really miss the X100S that I sold to Marchbanks a couple of years ago and have been looking to get one for a while now.

First impression is that it feels lighter than the old model? and the new electronic viewfinder is massively better than the joke one in the X100S....its just as good as in any mirrorless camera I've used so I doubt I'll be using it in optical mode much, even though it now gives a full suite of info in the optical VF.

When it ever comes back into stock in UK camera shops it will be around £2k I reckon..... what with sterling collapse and gouging. In fact - they are priced at £1994 on Amazon UK right now. And MPB are selling used examples at more than the RRP which I paid.

Don’t know what happened there, my last post seemed to have split itself in half, must be following the tories :)

advertisement

Back