advertisement

The Photography Purchase Confessional Thread (GAS)

Lovely image Amar - as one would expect.

This old 24-70 G belonged to a chap I often meet up with for dog walks. He's a long-since retired professional 'tog (mostly photojournalism stuff) who's recently started doing video so needed a VR version. This 24-70 has certainly done a few miles, and has a lovely patina of use yet optically it is flawless and was serviced by Nikon Pro Services 3 or 4 years ago.

Thank you - going back to The Lakes on Monday. Can't wait!

Those lenses are absolutely bomb proof. So well built and solid. I wouldn't think twice about buying a well used example with a well documented history such as that. In fact, I keep thinking about picking up a 70-200/2.8 VR II, but I just can't justify it.

Lefty

I have just splashed out on a nice little fujifilm X100V for when I’m out hill/fell walking, the D850 with 14-24 lens and tripod is getting too heavy for a fifteen miler, gone also are the days of lugging a Mamiya 645, three lenses and benbo tripod up Gunnerside Gill, Ingleborough and Pen y Ghent etc etc.

Excellent choices, amazing cameras. I have had 3 x 1DX (2 original and 1 mark II) plus a Sigma 300/ 2.8 (with 1.4X and 2X) Always lusted after the 500 /4 but made do with 150-600 Tamron G2, subsequently replaced by the Canon 100-400L II with converters.

Excellent choices, amazing cameras. I have had 3 x 1DX (2 original and 1 mark II) plus a Sigma 300/ 2.8 (with 1.4X and 2X) Always lusted after the 500 /4 but made do with 150-600 Tamron G2, subsequently replaced by the Canon 100-400L II with converters.

Hi , Yes I must say I am very happy , Now all I need to do is find the time to use said items , Roll on retirement and house move then I should be good to go :)

51404208061_b483c5ea4a_c.jpg

51404208016_e0348b4ae3_b.jpg

On the negative side (for my wallet) the Fuji Refurb Store has started selling GF glass

On the positive side (for my wallet), there have no more stock (at the moment) of the GF80mm F1.7

So I treated myself to a new old film camera - Canon EOS30 inbound...............

I also picked up an EOS30 recently. It has one of the quietest shutters I have ever experienced in an SLR. On a disappointing note I couldn’t read any of the exposure information in the viewfinder in daylight conditions. The leds that light up the active AF sensor are almost impossible to see too.

As much as I love my Manfrotto & geared head, it is simply too heavy to take away, so beings a little naughty, have ordered a Three legged Thing 'Bucky' with ball head. Way, way lighter in the luggage.

I also picked up an EOS30 recently. It has one of the quietest shutters I have ever experienced in an SLR. On a disappointing note I couldn’t read any of the exposure information in the viewfinder in daylight conditions. The leds that light up the active AF sensor are almost impossible to see too.

My exposure info is nice and clear in the viewfinder, a lens turned up today, AF seems quite snappy, not calibrated the Eye Control yet, but hopefully will put a roll through it this weekend.

Z9NiCRuh.jpg

Nice one. It would be interesting to hear your thoughts after you have used the camera in bright sunny conditions. Perhaps there is a problem with my particular camera, but it is otherwise in mint condition. I didn’t have much luck with eye control. Wearing glasses could be a factor.

I think I will get a 40mm pancake to use with the EOS 30 as a lightweight point and shoot. For serious shooting I have an EOS1n which has a much nicer viewfinder with easy to read exposure info in all lighting conditions. Both cameras were incredible bargains.

Nice one. It would be interesting to hear your thoughts after you have used the camera in bright sunny conditions. Perhaps there is a problem with my particular camera, but it is otherwise in mint condition. I didn’t have much luck with eye control. Wearing glasses could be a factor.

I think I will get a 40mm pancake to use with the EOS 30 as a lightweight point and shoot. For serious shooting I have an EOS1n which has a much nicer viewfinder with easy to read exposure info in all lighting conditions. Both cameras were incredible bargains.

Got a used 50MM F1.8 STM coming - EOS30 body set me back £40 (inc delivery!)

My 30 was twice that from Ffordes, but it looked brand new with its original box and manuals.
It had working lithium batteries installed, so I did not change them. Maybe this is part of the problem with the dim viewfinder info. I also use the 50mm STM lens.

My 30 was twice that from Ffordes, but it looked brand new with its original box and manuals.
It had working lithium batteries installed, so I did not change them. Maybe this is part of the problem with the dim viewfinder info. I also use the 50mm STM lens.

Mine is in excellent order, no box or manual though. It came with Energitech Lithium Batteries in it (showing full strength), if I drop new set in (Panasonic) it makes no difference to the display brightness.

I normally don’t go out of my way to get box and manual. This was a bit of an impulse purchase, so I probably overpaid, but still a great bargain for a like-new camera.

I was getting a bit fed up lugging Leica Q, Fuji XT-3 & all its lenses around. I came to the conclusion that for the type of photography I mostly indulge in, the Leica on its own would suit me just fine. I spend lots of time in The Lake District, where the waterproofness of the Fuji is handy. If only the Q was water-resistant...

I'm now the proud owner of a Leica Q2, which is indeed a lovely thing, and it's very liberating to only have one camera with its fixed lens to grab, but I failed to realise how different it is from the old Q. The dedicated Leica case doesn't fit, the battery's quite a bit bigger (which is good) but my spare no longer fits. Oh, and a spare Q2 battery's £130! Still, my rather expensive 52mm Skylight filter will...nope, that's gone to 49mm, but handily I discovered one of my old & decent 49mm Canon filters in the oddments drawer. Indeed, the only common thing between Q and Q2 seems to be the lens - Q2's bigger, heavier, different controls (all worthwhile improvements as far as I can tell at this early stage), plus battery etc.

In truth, after owning a Fuji XT-1, I found the X3, although more capable, a bit disappointing. It was bigger and quite a bit heavier than the XT-1, & in my hands didn't produce better photos.

advertisement

Back