advertisement

The Photography Purchase Confessional Thread (GAS)

How big would photos need to be printed for 48mp to be of any real life advantage over 24mp?

I've had a sub-A3 print from a 10.5mp Nikon D80 on my wall for years, and I can't see any digital break-up or noise at all. In fact in moderate ISO and decent light conditions I often prefer the files from the old D80 to those in my 24mp D7200.
Uncropped, the print would need to be very large. The lack of an AA filter on Nikon’s 45MP sensor is an extra factor. Like many here I grew up with film, heavy cropping doesn’t coming naturally to me but it is a tool the high res sensors provide and it’s one of the reasons I’ve gone the whole hog on the sensor.

Last edited:
Viewing distance is the key criteria, if you inspect closely at say A2 you can see the difference (48MP to 24MP) but in the real world, you would look at an A2 print from a given distance and any diffence would be negated.

The only time I've printed to A2 was to do a poster for an exhibition, the file was 24mp and looked great, even close up. I printed a handful on my Epson, it was evidently good enough for someone to pinch one from outside the exhibition. I was actually quite flattered!

I've just had a close scrutiny of my - A3/10.5mp print with my best reading glasses, and I can't see any digital artefacts, perhaps a certain grittiness to the tonality, but that's as likely to be my processing.

Uncropped, the print would need to be very large. The lack of an AA filter on Nikon’s 45MP sensor is an extra factor. Like may here I grew up with film, heavy cropping doesn’t coming naturally to me but it is a tool the high res sensors provide and it’s one of the reasons I’ve gone the whole hog on the sensor.

I think you'd need to crop pretty heavily. I'm also not very good at cropping, and also having been raised on (B&W) film I actually don't like super-smooth digital files, as a matter of course I introduce scanned (digital) film grain, as I feel that it brings the file to life, even if almost indiscernibly fine.

I suspect a 45mp sensor would be wasted on me, but I'd quite like to try one just to see the difference.

I just added a Fujifilm XT-4 to go with my XT-2 and XT-1. A short trial, before lockdown hit, has me impressed with the IBIS. That was the main reason to get the XT-4 as it primarily helps me with the non-stabilised primes.

A Fuji-owning mate of mine has been having a minor clear-out of his gear - he's gone 'GFX' and therefore minimising the contents of his APS-C bag. Result was him moving his trusty old X-Pro1 out - a camera I'm very familiar with, and equally fond of. This example's not in the first flush of youth, but is in 100% perfect operational condition. Been lacking any real photographic mojo recently, but with the Fuji being so much fun to shoot with, I'm hoping this might restore some of it.

I have the x-pro 2 and IMHO they just feel right and work. I had the 35mm f1.4 to start then recently bought one of the cheaper xc zoom (50-250mm I think, not very fast). Not had chance to play with that though I was hoping to get to goodwood with it.

Bought a sigma 150mm 2 8 macro just over a week ago to have a go at focus stacking macro shots. Now thinking about an ultra wide Nikkor for my trip to Orkney in a couple of weeks

I have the x-pro 2 and IMHO they just feel right and work. I had the 35mm f1.4 to start then recently bought one of the cheaper xc zoom (50-250mm I think, not very fast). Not had chance to play with that though I was hoping to get to goodwood with it.

I actually had a dabble with an X-Pro 2 a while ago, owning it at the same time as an X-T2. Quite surprising how 2 cameras (which are inwardly near enough identical) provide such an utterly different shooting experience, even the shutter sound is different. Had my first X-Pro1 back in 2013 and despite its quirks have always been very fond of it; maybe it's because of those quirks that I do.

Delivered a couple of days ago. Long out of print, but I was lucky to come across this used copy in really good condition, and also signed although not described as such:

51360131927_bb383cf208_c.jpg

And in a sort of similar style, my effort of a breaking wave on Luskentyre Beach:

51360047127_04dcaf8bfa_c.jpg

Fuji X10, although I'd rather have a Hasselblad

Delivered a couple of days ago. Long out of print, but I was lucky to come across this used copy in really good condition, and also signed although not described as such:

51360131927_bb383cf208_c.jpg

And in a sort of similar style, my effort of a breaking wave on Luskentyre Beach:

51360047127_04dcaf8bfa_c.jpg

Fuji X10, although I'd rather have a Hasselblad
Superb!

After 8 years with my Canon 70d crop and Canon 17-55mm F/2.8 lens - they are finally sold :( , and a shiny new Sony full-frame A7C and Sony 35mm F/1.8 lens is on the way :)

The 70d produced some stunning images, but was annoying to carry around. When walking around with the camera connected to a neck strap, I had to cradle the lens with one hand because if I didn't, the weight of the lens would pull the camera down at and angle and press into my lower chest area, and it felt uncomfortable, and would bounce up and down as I walked. The camera wasn't too heavy, just more annoying than anything.
Another thing was my Google Pixel 3a would sometimes produce better images. Especially in awkward situations like a backlit subject. That Google software is very, very clever. It can't cope with fast moving subjects in low-light though - like my 4-year-old running around the house. Also, by the time I've removed the phone from my pocket, switched into camera mode, I've lost that special moment, so nowhere near as quick as having a camera around my neck.

I've also been playing with the free version of Lumina Ai photo editing software. It's far, far better than Faststone Image viewer that I was using previously, and so easy to use. It does seem to be a CPU hog though and slowed my Ryzen 5 3600 desktop PC down at one point (A restart fixed it though). Highly recommended for someone that can't be arsed to learn Photoshop, but wants better results than the free software out there.

I've been reading lots of reports of Sony colours not being as good as Canon (Canon users regretting the change to Sony), and looking at example videos and pictures, that is true in some cases. I nearly bought the crop-sensor Canon EOS M6 MK2 purely because the colours often look better - but the auto-focus of the Sony A7C sticks like glue to the subject (when using the correct settings), and the dynamic range is awesome. The way software is going, I think exposure and colours will be an incredibly easy fix in the future (I'd put money on it being one-click in the not so distant future), so I think accurate focus and dynamic range are more important. Youtube photographers are now selling templates for Luminar Ai that will convert Sony colours to something more like Canon - not that I would suggest anyone pay for a template, but it shows it can be done.

Forgot to update this. I recently picked the following items up :)

Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro

FSIGMLE305324249_PRIMARY_SKU.jpg

DJI Pocket 2

dji_osmo_pocket_2_01_l.jpg

The Sigma is an old flame (I've had two before) but the DJI is new to me. Looking forward to using it to capture my upcoming trip to The Lakes with my son.

Lefty

Just need to be careful I don't drop this on my foot - I've had enough broken bones over the years. :D

24-70 2.8 G

Heavyweight by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Such a good lens. I have fond memories of mine. I wanted to keep it, but the weight savings of the Z 24-70/4 were too much to ignore.

Here's one taken with it for old times' sake.

The Duke of Portland Boathouse by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Sony A7rII / Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm f2.8 G

Lefty

Such a good lens. I have fond memories of mine. I wanted to keep it, but the weight savings of the Z 24-70/4 were too much to ignore.

Here's one taken with it for old times' sake.

The Duke of Portland Boathouse by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Sony A7rII / Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm f2.8 G

Lefty

Lovely image Amar - as one would expect.

This old 24-70 G belonged to a chap I often meet up with for dog walks. He's a long-since retired professional 'tog (mostly photojournalism stuff) who's recently started doing video so needed a VR version. This 24-70 has certainly done a few miles, and has a lovely patina of use yet optically it is flawless and was serviced by Nikon Pro Services 3 or 4 years ago.

advertisement

Back