advertisement

The Photography Purchase Confessional Thread (GAS)

Thanks for the heads up on the video. Looking forward to getting the Summilux even more now! Roll on tomorrow........

My pleasure - Andrew seems a really nice guy (I've exchanged messages with him on FB a couple of times) and does produce some great material.

I've watched the video a couple of times, fortunately - despite sailing in financially ruinous waters - I managed to survive...just! :D

Somehow managed to miss the April pickups post, so you have April and May together - its been busy with two zine exchanges finishing!!

Ut7AaBn.jpg

YpFJXqh.jpg

16qhKTS.jpg

JA0sV67.jpg

And then I managed to get hold of these - for background research on a photo project that I'm considering :)

SxOGdqM.jpg

Last edited:
I love a good 85 - along with a 24, it's probably my favourite focal length. I'll freely admit to suffering some buyer's remorse demons for jumping into the Z System the last few days but could probably put this down to not getting out and about though and actually using the kit.

Had been weighing up the option of an 85-1.4G to use on both the D700 and Z7 (via FTZ) but in the end felt the new boy, the Z 85 1.8S, would be the better choice, even if only one of those bodies was served. Went for a long walk across the fields near our home this morning (with the furry loon in tow) with just the 85 for glass...

Harley by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Barley by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

After much procrastination I’ve decided to go back to Pentax, purely for the lovely small prime lenses they do.

Got a mint K-3ii on the way and already have a 15mm Limited lens.

Pentax_DA_15mm.jpg

Went for the original version as it has a fantastic reputation for sunbursts.

I’m about to join Gromit with a Z7ii. Seeing as Nikon have £360 off the kits (24 70 F4 and FTZ), I’ve taken the plunge, I’m awaiting delivery. As I’m retiring soon I want to focus (sorry…) on my photography, not that a new camera is required for that. The high res MILC will be a suitable foil for my Df, sort of opposite ends of the spectrum. Lenses will be costly but YOLO.

I’m about to join Gromit with a Z7ii. Seeing as Nikon have £360 off the kits (24 70 F4 and FTZ), I’ve taken the plunge, I’m awaiting delivery. As I’m retiring soon I want to focus (sorry…) on my photography, not that a new camera is required for that. The high res MILC will be a suitable foil for my Df, sort of opposite ends of the spectrum. Lenses will be costly but YOLO.

Nice combination the Z7II and Df - I'm a long similar lines with the Z7 and D700. Z glass appears costly, but its quality is incredibly good for the money. Hugh Brownstone was so enamoured with the 50-1.8S, he stated it was worth buying into the Z system for that lens alone.

Nice combination the Z7II and Df - I'm a long similar lines with the Z7 and D700. Z glass appears costly, but its quality is incredibly good for the money. Hugh Brownstone was so enamoured with the 50-1.8S, he stated it was worth buying into the Z system for that lens alone.
The 50 1.8 is very much on my radar. I’m also interested in the 50 MC as the macro would be useful but I wouldn’t want to lose non-macro quality. I have a “wide” eye so the brutally expensive 14 24 2.8 has my attention too.

The 85 is special too. A 105 or 135 would provide a tricky choice.

Last edited:
More and more, I’m finding the idea of dispensing of all my digital gear (bar one DSLR and macro lens for slide copying) and replacing them with a nice phone deeply appealing. My iPhone that’s always with me has a square format option that I use almost all the time (thus no need to previsualize a crop), and I have no interest in making large prints. I don’t much care about selective focusing with blurred foregrounds and background. It reminds me somewhat of Polaroid photography, which I’ve always loved.

Sort of thinking I might move from the z6 to a z7 for the extra resolution as I do get quite a few of my pics printed as wall prints .... but are there any concerns about camera shake being more perceptible at 48MP as opposed to 26MP on the z6? I.E. - am I actually going to have to use that tripod more often?

As far as I can tell none of new features on the z7ii will make any difference for landscape photography so may be looking for a discounted z7, body only.

Sort of thinking I might move from the z6 to a z7 for the extra resolution as I do get quite a few of my pics printed as wall prints .... but are there any concerns about camera shake being more perceptible at 48MP as opposed to 26MP on the z6? I.E. - am I actually going to have to use that tripod more often?

As far as I can tell none of new features on the z7ii will make any difference for landscape photography so may be looking for a discounted z7, body only.

From my own experience with the Z7 (I've put around 500 clicks on it) I've yet to see any form of actual camera shake. The IBIS, whilst nowhere near as good as the Olympus system (for example), it's still very good indeed and getting clear shots at 1/8th second using the 50-1.8S.

There is the question of shutter shock though which does appear to be an issue (although slightly over-played I think) on some mirrorless cameras. Can't think I've seen it with the Z7, but I always use electronic first curtain 'just in case'.

How big would photos need to be printed for 48mp to be of any real life advantage over 24mp?

I've had a sub-A3 print from a 10.5mp Nikon D80 on my wall for years, and I can't see any digital break-up or noise at all. In fact in moderate ISO and decent light conditions I often prefer the files from the old D80 to those in my 24mp D7200.

How big would photos need to be printed for 48mp to be of any real life advantage over 24mp?

I've had a sub-A3 print from a 10.5mp Nikon D80 on my wall for years, and I can't see any digital break-up or noise at all. In fact in moderate ISO and decent light conditions I often prefer the files from the old D80 to those in my 24mp D7200.

Viewing distance is the key criteria, if you inspect closely at say A2 you can see the difference (48MP to 24MP) but in the real world, you would look at an A2 print from a given distance and any diffence would be negated.

advertisement

Back