advertisement

The Photography Purchase Confessional Thread (GAS)

A queue I'm happy to join...

Thank you both, that's very gracious. As soon as I can, I'll be in, this is such encouragement. I admit to having become a little disillusioned, not least with not being able to get over there to fill some gaps, or find the time and motivation to rework some of the images. A zine would provide a great waypoint on the journey.

Ok - whilst not strictly photography gear, it is related to photography.

I've just taken delivery of a whole load of wild camping equipment.

Vango Nevis 300 Tent
Vango Ultralite Pro 100 sleeping bag
Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XLite sleeping pad (cost more than the tent!)
Therm-a-Rest Compressible Pillows
Vango Kanto Junior sleeping bag (for my son)

I'll need a stove and cooking equipment eventually, but initial camps will have to rely on cold food I think, just to keep things simple.

Looking forward to putting it all to use as and when we are allowed. Needless to say, it will be tested in the garden as soon as nighttime temperatures are regularly above 4 degC :)

nevis-300+2.jpg

Lefty

For a stove I still like the Jetboil when I'm out by myself, but with 2 I use a MSR Pocket Rocket along with various Ti mugs and pots. I'll do most of the cooking in an Alpkit Mytimug (I've got a couple of the 650's as well as a 900ml ones).

I've been using a Terra Nova Laser Competition as my main tent (although I've got quite a few) but have recently bought a Coleman Cobra 3 as I'm planning to do some camping with my wife and our dog so needed a bigger tent.

I'm lucky that I can walk into the Pentland Hills from the house although it's been a few years since I've camped up there. This was my camp on top of one of the hills a few years back:

79470386.N4W4D4eA.eastkip5.jpg

For weight reasons I'll rarely have my DSLR when camping but have a couple of very decent point and shoots that I use.

For a stove I still like the Jetboil when I'm out by myself, but with 2 I use a MSR Pocket Rocket along with various Ti mugs and pots. I'll do most of the cooking in an Alpkit Mytimug (I've got a couple of the 650's as well as a 900ml ones).

I've been using a Terra Nova Laser Competition as my main tent (although I've got quite a few) but have recently bought a Coleman Cobra 3 as I'm planning to do some camping with my wife and our dog so needed a bigger tent.

I'm lucky that I can walk into the Pentland Hills from the house although it's been a few years since I've camped up there. This was my camp on top of one of the hills a few years back:

79470386.N4W4D4eA.eastkip5.jpg

For weight reasons I'll rarely have my DSLR when camping but have a couple of very decent point and shoots that I use.

That's superb - thanks for the info Steve. The MSR Pocket Rocket 2 was on my radar but wasn't sure what stove to pair it with. MSR do their own, but nice to have some other options. I'll look into the Alpkit you mention. In terms of capacity, I'm thinking about 750ml would he right?

It must be wonderful to live so close to the Pentland Hills! I've had a look and Pegsdon Hills (about 30 mins from me) is open access land and there are some nice spots up at the top of Deacon Hill so I'm thinking that would make a good spot when the weather warms up.

I pitched the tent in the garden today and it was all pretty straightforward. Really looking forward to getting out in it!

Lefty

That's superb - thanks for the info Steve. The MSR Pocket Rocket 2 was on my radar but wasn't sure what stove to pair it with. MSR do their own, but nice to have some other options. I'll look into the Alpkit you mention. In terms of capacity, I'm thinking about 750ml would he right?

750ml is a good compromise size - should cover most things. If you pair it with a lightweight plastic mug then that'll work for 2 folks.

It must be wonderful to live so close to the Pentland Hills! I've had a look and Pegsdon Hills (about 30 mins from me) is open access land and there are some nice spots up at the top of Deacon Hill so I'm thinking that would make a good spot when the weather warms up.

The access laws in Scotland are pretty good for wild camping and pretty much means that you can camp more or less anywhere you like if it's not in someones garden and not too close to a road.

I pitched the tent in the garden today and it was all pretty straightforward. Really looking forward to getting out in it!

Always a good idea - saves having to work out how to pitch it in the howling wind and rain at the top of a hill!

750ml is a good compromise size - should cover most things. If you pair it with a lightweight plastic mug then that'll work for 2 folks.

The access laws in Scotland are pretty good for wild camping and pretty much means that you can camp more or less anywhere you like if it's not in someones garden and not too close to a road.

Always a good idea - saves having to work out how to pitch it in the howling wind and rain at the top of a hill!

Thanks again for the tips

Yes, I've heard things are much easier up there with regards to wild camping!

To be honest, my main worry is getting a good night's sleep (I normally struggle even in a hotel room on the first night away, and have never got a good night's sleep when camping away previously on camp sites). That's is why I spent disproportionately more on the sleeping pad!

Lefty

Interesting! Does this mean the Fuji kit is on its way out?

PS - you'll love the Sony in pure image quality terms. Pretty much as good as it gets.

Lefty

Assuming I'll like the Sony, and I'm sure I will, I'll certainly be keeping the X E3 and the pancake lens, and likely the 18-55. Possibly the 16 - 80 too, though ungainly on the X E3, its such a bloody good all rounder. But might well move on the X T3 and the 55 - 200, and maybe the 16 -80. But yeah I'm seeing the Sony as a replacement for the X T3, I suppose.

Thanks again for the tips

Yes, I've heard things are much easier up there with regards to wild camping!

To be honest, my main worry is getting a good night's sleep (I normally struggle even in a hotel room on the first night away, and have never got a good night's sleep when camping away previously on camp sites). That's is why I spent disproportionately more on the sleeping pad!

Lefty
If you're hiking distances during the day, putting up camp and cooking a meal, you will be unconcho in your poncho.

Assuming I'll like the Sony, and I'm sure I will, I'll certainly be keeping the X E3 and the pancake lens, and likely the 18-55. Possibly the 16 - 80 too, though ungainly on the X E3, its such a bloody good all rounder. But might well move on the X T3 and the 55 - 200, and maybe the 16 -80. But yeah I'm seeing the Sony as a replacement for the X T3, I suppose.

Makes sense, the X-E3 fills a very different need to the A7r3. (It's why I use it alongside the Z7). I'll be interested to hear how you get on and what you decide to do :)

Lefty

Oh my... :)

Andrew Brestansky (aka Generic Photographer) did a nice review of the 'cron vs 'lux on YouTube recently which - if you haven't - is worth watching.

Thanks - I shall go and look for that video. I am hoping it will be a "set it and forget it" lens - it certainly should be! I love the Summicron but with the slightly below par ISO performance (by modern standards) of the 240 I am hoping the wider aperture will help in low(er) light situations.

Oh my... :)

Andrew Brestansky (aka Generic Photographer) did a nice review of the 'cron vs 'lux on YouTube recently which - if you haven't - is worth watching.

Thanks for the heads up on the video. Looking forward to getting the Summilux even more now! Roll on tomorrow........

advertisement

Back