advertisement

The Photography Purchase Confessional Thread (GAS)

Have you tried "Enhance Details" in LR ??

Yes, it definitely improves the 'worming' (at the expense of huge file sizes), but the issue is more general colour / contrast / tonal balance and the look of the images. Having spent a bit of time with the images now, I think what I'm experiencing is more down to the lens. The images in question were shot with the sun off to the side of the frame, and I think the 27/2.8 (being a relatively simple design) is prone to loss of contrast in these situations. Images taken pointing the other way looked better. Remembering back to my time with the X-T2, I remember the more expensive lenses (16-55/2.8 and 5-140/2.8) were much better in this regard, but at the expense of weight / size. It's a trade off I guess, portability and form factor vs raw performance and weight. I will say that I am absolutely loving the experience of shooting with the X-E3/27 combo. They make a really 'fun' combo which (when shot in sympathetic conditions) is capable of results far surpassing the Sony RX100 III (which was the goal).

Lefty

Yes, it definitely improves the 'worming' (at the expense of huge file sizes), but the issue is more general colour / contrast / tonal balance and the look of the images. Having spent a bit of time with the images now, I think what I'm experiencing is more down to the lens. The images in question were shot with the sun off to the side of the frame, and I think the 27/2.8 (being a relatively simple design) is prone to loss of contrast in these situations. Images taken pointing the other way looked better. Remembering back to my time with the X-T2, I remember the more expensive lenses (16-55/2.8 and 5-140/2.8) were much better in this regard, but at the expense of weight / size. It's a trade off I guess, portability and form factor vs raw performance and weight. I will say that I am absolutely loving the experience of shooting with the X-E3/27 combo. They make a really 'fun' combo which (when shot in sympathetic conditions) is capable of results far surpassing the Sony RX100 III (which was the goal).

Lefty

I’ve owned the 27 but not for long, as I’ve said previously 40mm FOV is not my bag. The lens was sharp but I didn’t take anything particularly arty with it!!

Lower Lightrooms default import sharpening on Fuji files - 40 is way too high

I’ve owned the 27 but not for long, as I’ve said previously 40mm FOV is not my bag. The lens was sharp but I didn’t take anything particularly arty with it!!

Lower Lightrooms default import sharpening on Fuji files - 40 is way too high

Agreed about the default sharpening. I'm finding 25 to be about right.

I've never used a 40 before, but finding it corresponds better to a human FOV than a 50.

Lefty

Battery on charge

vjioZtEh.jpg

Happy dance....
Having sold my 5DMK2 a few years ago because it was all getting a bit bulky and heavy, I bought a Sony A6300 and a couple of Leica lens.
I just didn't get on with it - even coming from a solid IT background the menus felt too deep and over complicated, which in turn put me off just picking it up and wandering out for a snappywalk.
Finally bit the bullet and and jumped on the bargain I'd been waiting for to pop up on MPB - 5DMK3- Lens count 6k, immaculate condition, no visible wear or marks - £479.00 to you sir.
Couple that with the trade in I ended up paying £141.05 in total - with a genuine battery grip and a couple of extra batteries - it came with 2 as it was !
Advertised that cheap because it had a bent pin in the CF slot so only worked on on SD Card - which I have a bunch of so didn't bother me. When it turned up it took me all of 10 minutes to fix the bent pin.
So it now works with CF as well. Not a bad deal for an "as new" 5D3 ! Just got to save up for some decent L series glass now ;-)
"I love it when a plan comes together"....

mpb5d.png

2021-02-13%2020.43.45.jpg

2021-02-13%2020.43.54.jpg

2021-02-13%2020.44.04.jpg

Must admit to being a bit torn between this and the 100-400 but decided - for now - to take the cheaper, shorter option.

Judging by the results in the PAW thread, you made the right call! It's a lens I've always been interested in and I did consider it when buying my 70-300. In the end I opted for the lens with the longer reach, but I do sometimes miss having a wider aperture...

Are these pfm/TP exchange zines? Andrew Marland is a pfm member I think.

I for one would love a zine of some of your 1st WW battlefield photographs! As my next submission is just about up together (lockdown boredom) I would be very happy to put it together with any suggestions from you, & supply a PDF ready for uploading to Mixam for printing. I would just need the jpegs & any words you might wish to include. In return you'll get some great stuff at least from Mr P & Lefty!

I for one would love a zine of some of your 1st WW battlefield photographs! As my next submission is just about up together (lockdown boredom) I would be very happy to put it together with any suggestions from you, & supply a PDF ready for uploading to Mixam for printing. I would just need the jpegs & any words you might wish to include. In return you'll get some great stuff at least from Mr P & Lefty!

John, that's incredibly generous of you, and kind words. I do however have to break the back of this thing and learn the process, I've been intending to do it for a while, but life and work keep getting in the way. I also want to reprocess some of the photos, as the space between initially putting them together and now has exposed, to me, some workflow 'habits' that get in the way when I look at them.

I received my new 100-400 lens the other week. It is the equivalent to a 200-800 mm for people crippled on a full frame (<g>) goes great with a 1.4 TC and a 2x TC still to try out the TC options. Just to think carrying around the scope of 1600mm equivalent full frame.

Recently picked up this. Had an OM1N 30 years ago and had forgotten how beautifully made these cameras are.
This one is an OM2N.
Untitled by Andrew D, on Flickr

I bought my daughter one of those last year. It is a beautiful piece if engineering, and a joy to use. She loves it.

It recently developed a fault with the winding mechanism, but a small camera shop in Amsterdam repaired it and supplied a beautiful new leather strap for €80 all in. You could probably buy another camera for not much more, but this one is mint and unmarked, and she is very happy.

advertisement

Back