advertisement

The PFM Produce and Share a Zine - Round 2

It's the same length as last time... I can't help myself!

I might get a hard proof done this time though as I've used Affinity Publisher to convert from aRGB to CMYK and I want to make sure it's right.

I used Affinity Publisher for the conversion and it was spot on in print, although the soft proof looked slightly off. Mixam were re-assuring on the 'phone & they were right. Hopefully you won't have a problem, & I'm looking forward to getting my copy!

I used Affinity Publisher for the conversion and it was spot on in print, although the soft proof looked slightly off. Mixam were re-assuring on the 'phone & they were right. Hopefully you won't have a problem, & I'm looking forward to getting my copy!

That's reassuring John - thanks for the info!

I'm afraid I'm not going to make the deadline for this round of the Zine.

I was trying to multipurpose a project I've been working on with Modern Art Oxford but, the more I tried to get it into a zine on it the more I realised it was not really a photo project and not suited to the format. I've been preparing some of the images for a MAO "takeover" on Instagram this weekend so you can see some of the images. It's really far more focused on storytelling through images than photography.

I then tried to rush a couple of other projects I've been working on into the Zine format but it just wasn't coming together. I'll carry on working on them and use the best one for the next round.

Sorry everyone

Kevin

I was trying to multipurpose a project I've been working on with Modern Art Oxford but, the more I tried to get it into a zine on it the more I realised it was not really a photo project and not suited to the format. I've been preparing some of the images for a MAO "takeover" on Instagram this weekend so you can see some of the images. It's really far more focused on storytelling through images than photography.

I then tried to rush a couple of other projects I've been working on into the Zine format but it just wasn't coming together. I'll carry on working on them and use the best one for the next round.

Sorry everyone

Kevin

Kevin, don't sweat it, you can guarantee there will be another one!

It has been a VERY busy few days on the zine. I don't want to give too much away, but what I can say is I am now (in all likelihood) going to get it perfectly bound as opposed to staple bound. As @Mr Perceptive says, I'm probably making a short book without realising it :D

Sorry everyone

Kevin

No worries at all Kevin. It's meant to be fun and not induce stress so don't sweat it :)

It has been a VERY busy few days on the zine. I don't want to give too much away, but what I can say is I am now (in all likelihood) going to get it perfectly bound as opposed to staple bound. As @Mr Perceptive says, I'm probably making a short book without realising it :D

Don’t think I could cope with Perfect Bound, got some double page spreads in this one and they are stressful enough without Worrying about bleed on a perfect bound!!!!!

Don’t think I could cope with Perfect Bound, got some double page spreads in this one and they are stressful enough without Worrying about bleed on a perfect bound!!!!!

Double page spreads - nice! I look forward to seeing it. I tried to do a double page spread on my first zine but couldn't figure it out!

The bleed isn't too bad (12mm on the inside edges) but it's doing a design for the spine which is a bit troublesome. I've uploaded everything to Mixam but want to speak with them on the phone tomorrow to confirm I've got it right as their instructions for the spine aren't very clear.

Hope it comes out OK. I considered Perfect Binding but I've just had a fairly expensive gallery catalogue come apart because the cover pulled away from the inside pages. So I've gone with stapling, as you will soon see!

Last edited:
Hope it comes out OK. I considered Perfect Binding but I've just had a fairly expensive gallery catalogue come apart because the cover pulled away from the inside pages. So I've gone with stapling, as you will soon see!

Yikes - that doesn't bode well! Hoping mine works out ok as the deed has now been done and all being well, the zine should be with me on Monday next week.

Incidentally, I found Affinity Publisher to be spot on. I let it convert the images to CMYK and looks like it went perfectly and without a Hitch. The proof looked spot on so here's hoping..

Looking forward to receiving yours :)

Good in principle, but every scope for a cock-up!!!!

I'm sure it will be fine. Always a nervous time waiting for the zine to show up! I've ordered a large number so hoping I haven't messed something up and that the Perfect Binding looks ok!

50337964651_2260643449_c.jpg

The samples are back from Mixam! With a couple of tweaks I will send mine off for printing this week as we're away over the period of 26th Sept & 17th Oct so need to get ahead. Learning Affinity Publisher has been quite straightforward at this level, and I'm pleased with the colours & quality, so if I can do it anyone can!

Just received my copy of this today, thank you so much. Truly stunning photos and beautiful printing, the only thing wrong is you seem to have forgotten to credit yourself! I’ve looked through it a couple of times now and can’t find any mention of the photographer!

@John Barry - I received my copy of your zine today. I don't want to give too much away until everyone has confirmed they have received it. Suffice to say it is wonderful! I do hope you have printed more copies to give to friends / sell?

Also, @Tony L is right - you haven't given yourself any credit for it!

@John Barry - I received my copy of your zine today. I don't want to give too much away until everyone has confirmed they have received it. Suffice to say it is wonderful! I do hope you have printed more copies to give to friends / sell?

Also, @Tony L is right - you haven't given yourself any credit for it!

Thank you both. I had meant to sign them, but in my haste I had them sealed & ready to go! Remedied subsequently

Mixam have been great, they supplied an extra sample copy & a few extra of these so it is nice to have some to sell if anyone wants a copy. I ordered enough for friends who are interested

Thank you both. I had meant to sign them, but in my haste I had them sealed & ready to go! Remedied subsequently

Mixam have been great, they supplied an extra sample copy & a few extra of these so it is nice to have some to sell if anyone wants a copy. I ordered enough for friends who are interested

Excellent - glad to hear you got a few extra copies. I showed my wife and she said 'wow'.

Mine should be here early next week. I'll get a copy sent out to you and everyone else as soon as it arrives.

@John Barry - your zine arrived today. Slightly more than a zine really, what an amazing collection of images and beautifully presented to boot. Thank you so much for sharing this. I'm going to have to raise my game in both in terms of images and care over the production of the zine to come close to this.

There's a photographer I've got to know in Oxford called Bharat Patel whose work you might find interesting. You can check his portfolios here:

https://www.bharatpatelphotography.co.uk/

You might enjoy his images from India and Angola.

Huge thanks again

Kevin

advertisement

Back