advertisement

The pfm Lego Investment Challenge

As long as no one starts a thread on the subject, it'll be fine.

Indeed! The idea of Lego investment buying has already made the broadsheets and there is a dedcated forum (www.brickpicker.com)! I have a feeling the days of quickly flipping recently retired sets for big bucks has probably gone, but I'm not interested in that, I'm looking at long term, e.g. a decade or more, and I suspect it should do better rather than crappy Brexit £s.

This is reminding me of Franklin Mint "collectables".
By all means buy Lego for fun, but as am investment?
There was very little intrinsic value in Franklin Mint stuff. Lego, on the other hand, can be enjoyed at some future date. It's almost like collecting fine wine, except that you know what's inside and it never goes off.

The Weetabix van example is a good one. Back when it was sold, it was rare and nobody was collecting. Once products are launched for investment, they are unlikely to be sufficiently special to go up in real value

nvo1ax.jpg

A tough day digging Roland Kirk CDs...

Lego Technic arrived well after I was a Lego-building kid. I had a set of the very first big toothed gear wheels (little red ones, mid-sized blue ones, and big yellow ones IIRC) so the light grey 'x' cross-section rods were familiar, but that is it. The L350F was great fun to build with four-wheel drive, working differentials, universal joint etc, but a very different experience to 'normal' lego, in fact there are hardly any conventional 'Lego blocks' in this set at all.

I'm curious as to how the typical buyer approaches these sets. The build is complex with hundreds of steps and the parts click together with pegs etc from all directions resulting is a surprisingly solid and robust structure. Is the normal thing to do what I have done, i.e. to build it once and leave it built, I guess much like a Airfix kit or whatever? I imagine disassembly would be pretty complex and time-consuming, so do folk actually do it? The thing I loved about Lego as a kid was it was so temporary. I never had any 'Sets', just a massive box of bricks and just built whatever came to mind and built something else when I got bored with it.

PS Anyone built a pair of speaker cabs out of Lego?! I suspect it might be rather good! It is pretty inert and one could easily structure to internally brace, avoid standing waves etc. I'd have thought something in the LS3/5A to Epos ES11 sort of size could be quite doable!

Oh dear, Tony. You opened the Lego box and that's reduced it's value as an investment...

No, no , no: it's a toy, a child's plaything, to quote Woody.

The 'play' element is the important bit: and grossly-underrated amongst 'adults'.

Now, excuse me, I must go put a few more miles on my old Lego 8860...
DSCF4426_BW.jpg

... I imagine disassembly would be pretty complex and time-consuming, so do folk actually do it?
Disassembly is surprisingly quick and easy, and easily 100x faster than the build. My usual pattern (with Technic) is to build the A-model and play with it for a while. Then break it down to build the B-model and play with that for another while. If I liked A-model more, I'll break down B-model and rebuild A-model and keep it built on display.

Try not to misplace any bits during disassembly. They can go flying off in every direction depending on how methodical you are, or not. I tend to just tear it down rather than reverse the assembly steps.

I've ordered a Parisian Restaurant from Lego as I had some VIP points to use plus it means another free Snow Globe which seem to be selling at £20-25 or so. Lego have had to resend my Batcave order as Yodel screwed it up somehow. Should get both this week I guess.

I still really fancy the Disney Castle, but I'll see if there is any prospect of a cheap one in January.

Tesco have a load of Lego reductions today, including the Technic Porsche @£156.74.

Oh, and the Power Functions box is down to £16.

No, no , no: it's a toy, a child's plaything, to quote Woody.

The 'play' element is the important bit: and grossly-underrated amongst 'adults'.

Now, excuse me, I must go put a few more miles on my old Lego 8860...
DSCF4426_BW.jpg

That takes me back. I had one of those when it was released. I also had an 853 which I seem to remember had a basic gearbox, rack and pinion steering, and maybe even a differential (or was that one of the later cars?). All long gone sadly...

Tesco have a load of Lego reductions today, including the Technic Porsche @£156.74.

Oh, and the Power Functions box is down to £16.

Been out all day so missed this. I'd have been all over the Wall-Es at £23, but sold out now. Damn it! I'd like a couple more of those as to my eyes it is about the best Lego model I've seen in the sense of capturing the essence of the subject matter. I've only seen pictures, not a built one, but it really looks like they nailed that one perfectly. It's retiring soon too so I need to get buying! I've got one, I think I want three or four. Anyway I had another Dr Who at £33. Can't quite figure that one out... Dr Who is plenty collectable, but is it just a local UK thing or not? Worth sitting on a couple I reckon even if the Jenna Coleman likeness misses the many attributes of the real item.

Been out all day so missed this. I'd have been all over the Wall-Es at £23, but sold out now. Damn it!

I didn't even spot that one, or I would have been too! Bad enough that I missed the Technic Merc Arocs truck at £82...

As Wall-E is a smaller item, there may be in-store stock - worth checking tomorrow when I collect my port (another thread!)

edit: I've just gone back to the Tesco site and the Merc truck was back in stock at £82... so I grabbed one of course. Might be worth looking for Wall-E again later or tomorrow?

advertisement

Back