advertisement

The PFM guide to Manchester.

The Ducie is still around; supported by proximity to student halls no doubt:
https://www.google.com/search?q=the...=804&dpr=1.75#imgrc=0Jlhj04-N5PJuM&lnspr=W10=

Bowling Green by the Hospital? Always good for a lock-in.

iu

There was another pub behind Wilmslow Road behind the DHSS somewhere. A little Irish pub but I can't remember anymore

Pretty sure we drank in there too.
OMG I think this is our Landlord from when we lived on Hector Rd, Longsight in 1986!:
https://www.manchestersfinest.com/e...-pint-of-guinness-this-side-of-the-irish-sea/

Never went in there - "Slaughtered Lamb style" indeed!

I liked the Red Lion in Withington when it still had the bowling green out back (another pub selling Marstons.) The landlord was a famous bowls player. Great chippy opposite and a decent chinese next door - the spring rolls were something else altogether.

Never went in there - "Slaughtered Lamb style" indeed!

I liked the Red Lion in Withington when it still had the bowling green out back (another pub selling Marstons.) The landlord was a famous bowls player. Great chippy opposite and a decent chinese next door - the spring rolls were something else altogether.
Yeah we never drank there
Went to The Red Lion a lot in 88-91 when I lived on Burton Road West Didsbury.
There was a good Lebanese place across the road as well.

Question for @Tony L.

In a couple of weeks I expect to be in Manchester for a family event (and not one of the good sort).
But I really fancy going to see the “Baby” in the Industry Museum (heck, we heard enough about it from Prof. K.!)

I’ll be a bit pushed for time (but may stay another day), so my question is what are the car parking options in the area.

Question for @Tony L.

In a couple of weeks I expect to be in Manchester for a family event (and not one of the good sort).
But I really fancy going to see the “Baby” in the Industry Museum (heck, we heard enough about it from Prof. K.!)

I’ll be a bit pushed for time (but may stay another day), so my question is what are the car parking options in the area.

If I may be so cheeky as to interject here.

For Manchester MOSI I find the best car park is Great Northern Warehouse 2 access from Bridgewater St just over the other side of Deansgate from Liverpool Road (where the MOSIS is). I like it as it has big spaces (at the ends of the building especially), always seems to have a space available (especially on the lower level), is monitored and whilst not the cheapest isn't stupidly expensive. It is also 400 yds walk to the museum. there is street parking around the museum but it's very hit and miss as to whether you find a space.

Google maps link to Great Northern Warehouse 2 car park

Museum is here

HTH

@Weekender
That reference to the Toblerones rings a faint bell….can you tell me some more. Bearing in mind that my years at UoM were ‘72-75.

This refers to the Whitworth Park halls of residence opened in 1976. Called Toblerones because of their look, but even better than that is the story of why they look like that. This page tells it better than I can:

Building Secrets: The Most Expensive Roofs in Manchester

Pic from article to illustrate the Toblerone look.

44184928574_cb8d9ad61b_k.jpg

So opened one year after I left, but maybe being built in ‘75.
Or maybe I’m thinking of something else….to be fair, it was nearly half a century ago….I was a lot younger then!

Anyway, my current plan is to have a day in Manchester (post-funeral) with the priority being the Industry Museum to have a look at the “Manchester Baby” computer. And then a general look round the centre.

Booked two nights in the city centre next week which will give me a full day to have a look at the place. First stop will be the MoSI, followed probably by the John Rylands. Then walk in the direction of Piccadilly Gardens (assuming it’s still there!). There was a good Chinese restaurant there, that we frequented, can’t remember its name though.

Booked two nights in the city centre next week which will give me a full day to have a look at the place. First stop will be the MoSI, followed probably by the John Rylands. Then walk in the direction of Piccadilly Gardens (assuming it’s still there!). There was a good Chinese restaurant there, that we frequented, can’t remember its name though.

Piccadilly Gardens still there, but Chinese long gone.

Be prepared for disappointment In Piccadilly. The area is still there. Gardens rather, um, different nowadays.

You are not wrong!! Full of trams and some hideous “street market’.

And worse still, it looks like the FTH** is now a hotel

**Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Focus, Steeleye Span, Barclay James Harvest with half the Halle Orchestra (one of the greatest concerts!) etc etc etc

MOSI was OK, but it was full of “on-holiday” kids and it will be better when the new sections are finished. The textile industry section was good. I declined the challenge (from a very charming lady) of “converting decimal to binary” against the clock……I wasn’t sure whether I’d win these days, and one can only take so much humiliation :D.

Some bl00dy tall buildings!

Some bl00dy tall buildings!
We ate in the NQ on Sunday and drove in on the Mancunian Way and past the old Express building and then closed the circle past the Arena back to Chester Rd on the way home and even in the last 18mths the change is incredible.

advertisement

Back