advertisement

The PFM guide to Manchester.

What was the name of the piano shop on Deansgate? I used to go to piano recitals there on a Monday(?) lunchtime. It was even in my terms of employment!
And the RNCM, do they still do odd concerts? I saw a 10 double bass lineup perform there. o_O

I used to frequent the Plaza restaurant on Upper Brook Street.

I suppose that it’s long gone.

We had an enjoyable 2 days/3 nights in Manchester, it was great to have all the information here to help.

Didn’t really get to do an awful lot as I nowadays have a very leisurely holiday pace and don’t have the capacity to stand for hours that I had previously.

We went to the Science and Technology museum on Tuesday and as the young lad is in Manchester to follow his musical muse we went to the music exhibit in the basement which in retrospect was a mistake as it appeared to be aimed at school kids and had very little about music technology - I suppose I was expecting at least a room dedicated to Factory etc. This left less time for the main part of the museum although i made sure to get to to the “baby”

We split up the next day with the erudite pair heading to John Rylands and me heading to King Bee, my wife was delighted to find the papyrus had just returned and the staff seemed thrilled that someone was asking about it.

I had brought over my son’s Rega P1 / Cambridge phono and and old NAD C370 amp that I’m now glad I kept so he could have some vinyl in the main room.

His flatmate wanted “some Jazz LP” to play and I picked up these 3 without breaking the bank

Along with a few decent CDs at reasonable prices, not slavishly following discogs pricing

I walked a bit more around the area we were in as well as the centre and it’s quite noticeable that one walks from tasty / edgy to more opulent and back again without wearing out one’s shoe leather. I was surprised by the amount of rubbish around once one left the main roads.

Unicorn in Chorlton was sell worth the visit and I can see a lot of shopping being done there when we return again as I’m sure we will at least twice a year.

The son cooked for us 2 nights so we only ate out once, at quite a decent tapas bar called Canto just on edge of Ancoats if my geography is correct.

I’m on the dry at the moment trying to get my drinking back to intermittent rather than every night so no bars were frequented.

I was quite amused by a shop called “Princess Butchery” - conjures up al sorts of thoughts!

I used to frequent the Plaza restaurant on Upper Brook Street.

I suppose that it’s long gone.

Epic memories of that place. Somalians ran it and you had biryani with 4 strengths of sauce served in milk bottles... that was the menu :D

And there was another on the edge of Rusholme in a similar vein called the the Palace. That one had the Wilbur Special on the menu created after a Liverpudlian friend of mine called Wilbur declared the extra hot sauce too mild :D

Both long gone now.

And there was another on the edge of Rusholme in a similar vein called the the Palace. That one had the Wilbur Special on the menu created after a Liverpudlian friend of mine called Wilbur declared the extra hot sauce too mild :D
Plymouth Grove?

Nice MEN update on the curry mile. Bears out my earlier observations.

Mancunians react after Curry Mile bosses speak out on famous street
https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ct-after-owners-along-26399324?utm_source=app

It was never referred to as 'Curry Mile' when I lived there , just Rusholme. Victims of their own marketing. It (Wilmslow Road) was pretty safe though, much safer than Town most of the time, although Death Park by the Art Gallery could be dodgy at night.

I drank in the Welcome or the Whitworth at either end and walked along there very frequently.

It was never referred to as 'Curry Mile' when I lived there , just Rusholme. Victims of their own marketing. It (Wilmslow Road) was pretty safe though, much safer than Town most of the time, although Death Park by the Art Gallery could be dodgy at night.

I drank in the Welcome or the Whitworth at either end and walked along there very frequently.
We drank in The Whitworth in 85/6. Found a tenner on the pavement and (foolishly) went to Moss Side Chippy for some black and was sold rubber; (double-foolishly) went back to a different Dealer and was held up at knifepoint.
"I hope their sales plummet."

We drank in The Whitworth in 85/6. Found a tenner on the pavement and went to Moss Side Chippy for some black and was sold rubber; went back to a different Dealer and was held up at knifepoint.
"I hope their sales plummet."

and that was before the days of £20 notes in the bank machine! A tenner was largest every day currency

Never frequented this one, at the bottom end of the curry mile, but the Lemn Sissay mural on the outside always raises a smile and it's been there since long before he became well known.

0_02MEN060816lhardysnqnJPG.jpg

What was the small pub round the back of Wilmslow Rd near the Welcome but slightly further north? Had a massive "whitey" in there and just made it back to my bed in the Toblerones.
Which reminds me of a party in Fallowfield in 87/8 where, for just one little hour, I was the most hilarious person in the world. A beautiful girl came and sat next to me. Then I had to take an urgent call down the great white telephone. She called in on my (gay) flatmate in the week after and I...did nothing. Thought she was out of my league.

"Forgive me. I was allowing memories to have the better of me."

What was the small pub round the back of Wilmslow Rd near the Welcome but slightly further north? Had a massive "whitey" in there and just made it back to my bed in the Toblerones.

The Albert behind the Rusholme chippy? Those pubs are all away now.

advertisement

Back