advertisement

The PFM guide to Manchester.

Really enjoyed reading this thread.

Met my wife there, bought our first house, got married, our two sons were born there.

Not sure how much this helps the OP but there you go.

I used to love Sifters records on fog Lane in burnage/didsbury, just off kingsway. Haven't been there for 5 years tho (it's a long way from NZ).
Last time I was in (2019?) he was complaining he couldn't get the stock and the racks were severely depleted.

That’s you is it Tony at the MSI. I must say hello next time we’re there.

I’m not in very often at present, maybe once or twice a month. There is a whole team of people.

Here’s the exhibit I get to play with:

52518757367_579d23f210_b.jpg

The Manchester Baby (Wikipedia).

The number of places with cladding issues is quite stark. Ditto the turnover of restaurants.

I think 2 out of those 3 restaurants are still there, not bad after 17 years! Not been to Manc for 7 years so out of touch with where to eat now.

I was fine reading this thread being living in Prestwich from 1986 till 1992 until the mention of Cornehouse closing

I was fine reading this thread being living in Prestwich from 1986 till 1992 until the mention of Cornehouse closing
I loved The Cornerhouse and took a while to get used to Home but now it's, er, home. Far more practical as a venue too with good accessibility, everything on one site and so on.

I love the city for all its rain and lack of beach.

A great many places have been mentioned, but perhaps not Chetham's where you can see a spot where Marx and Engels collaborated.

https://library.chethams.com/collections/101-treasures-of-chethams/karl-marxs-desk/

Little point recommending bars, cafes and restaurants as places change so fast and tastes differ. Also, now living out of town and with young kids, I am out of touch.

Your son will be near Imperial War Museum North of course. Not massively my cup of tea but horses for courses... Just across from OT as well, so there's always the museum/stadium tour as well as match days. I'm there pretty much all home games so happy to advise if any questions.

Again in the locality, the Lowry gets a good selection of performers/acts. The Lowry Outlet is largely a waste of time.

Music venues... Many have been mentioned and it really is worth trying to take in a good range. Band on the wall, night and day, deaf institute, Albert Hall, new century Hall, ritz, Gorilla, matt and phreds, and many many more.
Maybe Warehouse Project will be more his thing? Worth a look if so.

Afflecks Palace too, whilst we're in the Northern Quarter. Ancoats too, altho that's being presented as the new 'edgy' city centre living... if edgy is yuppie coffee shops and gourmet pizza places. Long from the days of looking over your shoulder walking to Sankeys.

I enjoy plays and feel the city doesn't have the range and diversity it should have and used to have. It's good, just not good enough imo. I find the selection and quality a step down from the days of Cornerhouse and library theatre - not purely about their merger into Home, as I feel the same about the exchange in recent years.

It's a great city. I've spent decent amounts of time in many UK cities, and whilst I like lots of things about many of them, Manchester is home.

… Central Reference Library is an essential call as is Chethams School Of Music and it’s extraordinary library. Again, brilliant walking tours are available.

I love the city for all its rain and lack of beach.

A great many places have been mentioned, but perhaps not Chetham's where you can see a spot where Marx and Engels collaborated.

https://library.chethams.com/collections/101-treasures-of-chethams/karl-marxs-desk/

Ahem :)

I’m not in very often at present, maybe once or twice a month. There is a whole team of people.

Here’s the exhibit I get to play with:

52518757367_579d23f210_b.jpg

The Manchester Baby (Wikipedia).

We will almost certainly have met and listened to you at some point already then. On the many occasions we’ve been to MoSI with either the now 17 year old or the currently 4 year old grand-daughter I've a nasty habit of standing in front of it with a certain amount of awe and boring people with the absolutely minimal knowledge I have of valves :)

To the next time then and it’s hope you get to meet @Sloop John B also.

Last edited:
The Boys Are Back In Town is about the Quality Street Gang, who go back to the 60s. Lynott's Mum owned a hotel in Whalley Range where they hung out...

I’m staying in this general area, anyone know where the hotel is/was?

.sjb

I lived in Demesne Rd in whalley range 2002-2005. Almost bought a place there for £30k, I bet it would be worth more now.

Alexandra park is really nice. Apparently the area was once a gated community.

In the end I could never get used to gunshots at night, friends getting mugged by young scallies and everything getting stolen.

The main thing I miss is the live music. It's not worth the hassle for most bands to visit New Zealand and many look pretty ragged doing the last show of a world tour. Some of the Jamaican pirate radio was great too.

Out of interest, what are used record prices like at king bee? Most of my purchases were £3-5.

Mostly very good IMO. I get a lot of good stuff there and have found many crazy bargains. Its a great shop with a fast turnover. I wish I lived nearer as I’d happily turn it over weekly.

Don’t forget to visit the BBC Philharmic at the Bridgewater Hall if they’re playing, they’re much better than the overpriced Halle. Most likely a more interesting programme too.

Also has anyone mentioned the Hope Mill Theatre? A lively and intimate place with great productions.

advertisement

Back