advertisement

The Olympics 2020/1 Japan.

Wells, he was 6ft tall and approx 13 stone when he won in Moscow, hardly enormous? I met Linford Christie once and was surprised as how slim he was, shoulders aside. The biggest sportsman I've met was either Mal Meninga or Devon Malcolm - freaks

@Cav Don't be naive, training methods and drug testing have improved enormously over the last 30 years, surprisingly some World Records have remained tho

@Cav Don't be naive, training methods and drug testing have improved enormously over the last 30 years, surprisingly some World Records have remained tho
Proven, though or just wishful thinking or plain animus? Some people need to move on and get a better hobby.

Deary me. I was there, Wells looked enormous. Met Christie too, wasn't so struck by his size. Nice guy. Very chatty.

I think one of the big changes is that athletes don't have to work any more. So straight off the training track and to the massage table, physio, nutritionist, bed. Whatever it takes.

Apparently the running track acts like a trampoline and returns energy to the runners, 1-2% performance advantage, hence the records falling...
At least all the competitors get the same benefit, so it is fair for the medals.
Problematic for qualifier events where athletes will have to shop between tracks around the world.
Maybe we need a surface handicap system to adjust times?

Proven, though or just wishful thinking or plain animus? Some people need to move on and get a better hobby.

In context, this was about praise for athletes like Athing Mu and an expression of hope that she could break a world record that has stood for more than four decades. That comes from a love of sport, not a desire to muck rake: there are bound to be suspicions when half of the 20 fastest women's 800m times are nearly 50 years old, from a period with since proven, state sponsored doping programmes.

indeed, and totally ruining a thread about the current Olympics.

Obviously, some people disagree and want to compare current and past performances. Still, I respect that this about the current Olympics.

advertisement

Back