advertisement

The North West Audio Show (Cranage Hall) 2017

Yeah, I'll be there. In fact I'll be there all weekend helping out Mark Fenlon and Scott Lindgren with the Mark Audio Sota room. Hopefully I'll get some time to have a look around.

We'll be at Bristol as well, never got there before so looking forward to it.

Stefan

I managed to get to the show last year and found it very enjoyable with a wide range of audio companies represented. I struggled to get around both venues!

Attendance today wasn't high but I must say the show was very good. Quite a few decent sounds, better than I'd expected from hotel rooms, some of the rooms were of better proportions than is often the case with hotels.

I liked:

ELAC
Pearl Acoustics
Icon Audio playing their 10k horn/ 15" speakers
Nagra digital R2R / MFA pre / Quad amps / Graham
One of the AN rooms (but not the other one)
Primare and Revel (both speakers)
3 Square Audio
Luxman into PMC FACT12
Planalogue / Ming Da / EME

That's a fairly long list for one show. I was there for 5.5 hours and didn't get round every room

A very enjoyable few hours.

Really enjoyed fanthorpe's room with luxman and pmc and great to have a chat and put faces to names seen on here.

I thought the primare and revels were good too. Other highlights for me were the pearl acoustics speakers and Malvern audio.

Just got back. Really enjoyed it. Highlights were the MFA preamp room - with Nagra digital reel to reel and Graham LS5/8 speakers driven by a pair of Quad IIs, and the TAD speaker room. Both were fantastic with vocals, I could easily live with the kit in the Graham room.

Forgot, there was a room with JBL speakers, I didn't expect to like them but did. On the other hand there were a number of expensive systems that didn't impress at all - though I gave them the benefit of the doubt as hotel rooms are notoriously poor. There were a pair of red horn speakers (Italian?) that looked expensive and sounded poor.

I liked:

ELAC
Pearl Acoustics
Icon Audio playing their 10k horn/ 15" speakers
Nagra digital R2R / MFA pre / Quad amps / Graham
One of the AN rooms (but not the other one)
Primare and Revel (both speakers)
3 Square Audio
Luxman into PMC FACT12
Planalogue / Ming Da / EME

Sun, yeah my list was pretty much the same as yours too, enjoyed the JBLs as well and the smaller hORN speakers for £3k were great(as were the bigger ones). Had a listen too the Kii's again, still not convinced that they sound quite as natural as other speakers, and the had some antimode PSI corner woofer things going on too.

Had a lovely chat with Simon from Arcadia about how he builds his amps and a nice talk with the maker of CAD (sorry can't remember his name, lovely fella though) and enlightening about his approach to digital design.

A very enjoyable few hours.

Really enjoyed fanthorpe's room with luxman and pmc and great to have a chat and put faces to names seen on here.

The Fanthorpes PMC Luxman set up i enjoyed the most, engaging and very real sounding even at modest volume, it really surprised me, was nice to meet Dale from Fanthorpes, he's played some great music too!

advertisement

Back