Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The North West Audio Show (Cranage Hall) 2017

Discussion in 'audio' started by freefallrob, Jan 9, 2017.

1. freefallrob

freefallrob pfm Member

2. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

I might go, haven't been to a HiFi show in years.

3. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

I've been to the two that have run so far and will most likely attend this one too.

4. orangeart

orangeart KJF Audio Ltd.

Yeah, I'll be there. In fact I'll be there all weekend helping out Mark Fenlon and Scott Lindgren with the Mark Audio Sota room. Hopefully I'll get some time to have a look around.

We'll be at Bristol as well, never got there before so looking forward to it.

Stefan

5. Evo

Evo pfm Member

I managed to get to the show last year and found it very enjoyable with a wide range of audio companies represented. I struggled to get around both venues!

6. Julf

Julf Facts are our friends

I first read it as "carnage hall"...

7. Kendun

Kendun pfm Member

With apologies for bringing up an old thread. Is anyone planning to go today?

8. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

I can't today but will be going tomorrow - am looking forward to it :).

9. Space is the Place

Space is the Place pfm Member

I wouldnt mind popping over today to have a listen, but i can get the ticket thing to work, can you just turn up?

10. BlueYeti

BlueYeti pfm Member

I'll be there tomorrow (toddler induced sleep deprivation allowing) all being well!

11. clivem2

clivem2 pfm Member

Attendance today wasn't high but I must say the show was very good. Quite a few decent sounds, better than I'd expected from hotel rooms, some of the rooms were of better proportions than is often the case with hotels.

12. Space is the Place

I've just got back, really enjoyed it was nice to talk to some of the makers/distributors.

Some good sounds in a nice venue :)

13. sunbeamgls

sunbeamgls pfm Member

I liked:

ELAC
    Pearl Acoustics
    Icon Audio playing their 10k horn/ 15" speakers
    Nagra digital R2R / MFA pre / Quad amps / Graham
    One of the AN rooms (but not the other one)
    Primare and Revel (both speakers)
    3 Square Audio
    Luxman into PMC FACT12
    Planalogue / Ming Da / EME

That's a fairly long list for one show. I was there for 5.5 hours and didn't get round every room

14. sunbeamgls

sunbeamgls pfm Member

They diddn't bother asking for tickets. They were too busy thrusting a welcoming orange juice / prosecco / bucks fizz into your hand to bother :)
    Just go, no problem.

15. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

If Jack from BD audio is there exhibiting, his room is a must listen normally.

16. Rockhopper

Rockhopper pfm Member

Wonderful sound from the big horns.
    My personal assistant gave them
    a big number 10. 🙄 😀

17. eddieedwards

eddieedwards pfm Member

A very enjoyable few hours.

Really enjoyed fanthorpe's room with luxman and pmc and great to have a chat and put faces to names seen on here.

I thought the primare and revels were good too. Other highlights for me were the pearl acoustics speakers and Malvern audio.

18. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Just got back. Really enjoyed it. Highlights were the MFA preamp room - with Nagra digital reel to reel and Graham LS5/8 speakers driven by a pair of Quad IIs, and the TAD speaker room. Both were fantastic with vocals, I could easily live with the kit in the Graham room.

Forgot, there was a room with JBL speakers, I didn't expect to like them but did. On the other hand there were a number of expensive systems that didn't impress at all - though I gave them the benefit of the doubt as hotel rooms are notoriously poor. There were a pair of red horn speakers (Italian?) that looked expensive and sounded poor.

19. Space is the Place

Sun, yeah my list was pretty much the same as yours too, enjoyed the JBLs as well and the smaller hORN speakers for £3k were great(as were the bigger ones). Had a listen too the Kii's again, still not convinced that they sound quite as natural as other speakers, and the had some antimode PSI corner woofer things going on too.

Had a lovely chat with Simon from Arcadia about how he builds his amps and a nice talk with the maker of CAD (sorry can't remember his name, lovely fella though) and enlightening about his approach to digital design.

The Fanthorpes PMC Luxman set up i enjoyed the most, engaging and very real sounding even at modest volume, it really surprised me, was nice to meet Dale from Fanthorpes, he's played some great music too!

20. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

was he using grandinote amps with them ?