advertisement

the new wave of bloated death music

I caught some of it earlier; they look like old men, though still sound like The Cure, albeit late period Cure. Their first four albums are truly excellent IMO, shame they avoided them.

Magical....close your eyes so you don't witness the flab......one of the few bands still at the top of their game.....they are what they are!

Smith still sounds good. Too bad he looks like Liz Taylor got drunk before she put on her makeup.

So you want rockers to eat Alpen, be vegetarians, sleep at 11pm, never smoked, drink moderately or not at all, moisturise and look 50 when they are 60 ?

i love the cure's first 4 albums too, before they got all love-caty. my favorite cure cover:

Last edited by a moderator:
So you want rockers to eat Alpen, be vegetarians, sleep at 11pm, never smoked, drink moderately or not at all, moisturise and look 50 when they are 60 ?

i want rockers to stop when they hit age 29.

vuk.

I have an old audio cassette tape that I recorded off the BBC radio transmission of the cure back in 1986 (Glastonbury), despite the fact its so old , its far superior in every way , but I can see why Reading was bad , Smith really doesnt give a shit and never has done , he has a laid back approach and always has , its got too laid back :)

The Cure made one great intelligent punk/pop album in Three Imaginary Boys (a southern version of Buzzcocks' Another Music In A Different Kitchen). Then they invented Goth. For this they should be killed. Repeatedly. Until dead.

The Cure invented Goth. For this they should be killed. Repeatedly. Until dead.

The modern look possibly goes to Dave Vanian of the Damned and the music takes a lot from Joy Division. Goth is misunderstood. You really have to get into it Ricky to find out how liberating it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
"You write one song about vampires and everyone slags you off as Goth..." --Johnette Napolitano

I have an old audio cassette tape that I recorded off the BBC radio transmission of the cure back in 1986 (Glastonbury), despite the fact its so old , its far superior in every way , but I can see why Reading was bad , Smith really doesnt give a shit and never has done , he has a laid back approach and always has , its got too laid back :)

I was at the Glastonbury gig and they weren't bad.

Then they invented Goth. For this they should be killed. Repeatedly. Until dead.

Robert Smith looks like he has been. Unfortunately hasn't died in the process.

Jack

Robert Smith did some great work with the Cure, but lets not forget he also made an
important contribution to Siouxsie and the banshees over the years.
(John McGeoch’s contribution was also very important so I’m
not taking anything away from his legacy )

The Cure made one great intelligent punk/pop album in Three Imaginary Boys (a southern version of Buzzcocks' Another Music In A Different Kitchen). Then they invented Goth. For this they should be killed. Repeatedly. Until dead.
The Cure were never a goth band & they certainly didn't invent it. Robert Smith always hated be associated with Goth music. I think I still have an old VHS tape with him being interviewed where he's asked if he's a goth and he replies 'No I'm a pop artist!'. I think the Sisters of Mercy were the first real goth band, loved them!

I thought there Reading performance was pretty good, certainly beat the dross that they showed at V festival earlier in the week. Now that really was 'music' to get depressed to!

advertisement

Back