advertisement

The new M1 Mac mini

New Mini good. End.
Would be good if you could elaborate a little on this, if you don't mind, particularly on the audio side of things. :)
Have you tried it as a transport/streamer into the USB input of the DAC of your main hifi system?

Last edited:
So...I've now installed on the Mini my best power cable, footers and analogue interconnects (via a cheapo mini jack to 2 RCA female adaptor).

YMMV, but all I can say is that I am sitting back and enjoying the music, there's a grainless-ness to the sound that I've never heard from a computer source.

Have packed away all my digital cables, DACs, digital converters, ethernet cables, LPS's, switches etc. Crazy ;-)

My Mac Mini is due to arrive today. I went for a 512/8 gig model. £66 discount from Amazon.
I got one of those a while back, though from Apple. Absolutely splendid machine, and whizz prang fast. If you put more than one account on it you may encounter two small problems (which I am sure will be fixed): you can get stuck in the screensaver, and Time Machine can stop running.

I got one of those a while back, though from Apple. Absolutely splendid machine, and whizz prang fast. If you put more than one account on it you may encounter two small problems (which I am sure will be fixed): you can get stuck in the screensaver, and Time Machine can stop running.

Thanks for the heads up, there’ll only be one account so hopefully no problem.

I bought from Amazon because delivery was quicker and it was cheaper than buying from Apple. Anyhow, I now have it, so time to have a play.

Bought the M1 mini and a M1 MacBook Air - both for the business. The mini is for an employee who does some video editing / graphics etc and I'm definitely impressed with the speed / performance. We also have an old 16GB quad core 3.5ghz i5 iMac and the M1 mini is certainly as fast (if not faster).

Would be good if you could elaborate a little on this, if you don't mind, particularly on the audio side of things. :)
Have you tried it as a transport/streamer into the USB input of the DAC of your main hifi system?
Not at all. It’s not intended as a part of my audio chain. I’ve downgraded from an iMac Pro to the Mini as I had too much tied up in the Pro for the uses I have. Which are regular everyday use, photo editing and FCPX editing of YouTube videos.

I can confirm that its internal speaker is very poor though!

PS. No issues thus far. Very pleased with it, and it feels way quicker than it ought to!

advertisement

Back