advertisement

The Necks...

Colin L

High-tech low-life
Just discovered The Necks through Roon album notes on a Nik Bartsch album.

I got hold of their first album, Sex. One track about 60 mins long, a low-key meandering meditative piece for piano, bass and drums/percussion. it’s absolutely superb.

Think Trance / Jazz with a hint of late Talk Talk thrown in. I’m all in. This could get expensive.

Anyone else a fan and what’s recommended.

I'd go for Hanging Gardens next, then maybe Aether and Townsville (which are more on the ambient side), Drive By......and then just get the lot.
But, more importantly, go see them live. I must have seen them at least a dozen times now; and every time I come away gobsmacked.

I think I’ve shared this before

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....the-necks-the-greatest-trio-on-earth.amp.html

The Necks are long term favourites of mine. As Guey said, if you can, go and see them live: it is a magical experience. They somehow create sounds that just don’t seem to be connected to the simple line up of instruments.

I use Mosquito as yoga music - it is one of my favourite pieces of music. Drive By and Open both get played a lot but there are lots of very distinctive record. They all sound different but also all sound like The Necks.

Kevin

Music for strange people, but in this case I am perfectly happy to be classified as strange. Marmite music, music for the thoughtful and contemplative, people who like to get completely lost in music, perhaps, IMVHO.

ReR released most Necks titles in UK, and I’ve just counted about half dozen essential titles in their current special offers list for £5 each, although you have to order 4 titles to qualify for the sale price inc free postage.

Here’s the sale list, the Necks are toward the end:

http://www.rermegacorp.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=RM&Screen=SPECIALOFFERS
Thanks for that, there are three Necks albums on the list that I don’t have. I think Fred Frith’s Gravity sounds interesting enough to be the fourth choice.

Seen them a couple of times. They are fantastic stretchers of supposed musical boundaries. There records aren't bad too. :)

Jack

ReR released most Necks titles in UK, and I’ve just counted about half dozen essential titles in their current special offers list for £5 each, although you have to order 4 titles to qualify for the sale price inc free postage.

Here’s the sale list, the Necks are toward the end:

http://www.rermegacorp.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=RM&Screen=SPECIALOFFERS

Thanks for that, there are three Necks albums on the list that I don’t have. I think Fred Frith’s Gravity sounds interesting enough to be the fourth choice.

Not entirely relevant but worthy of mention. I rang ReR before ordering yesterday around midday to check delivery would be before Saturday. They took my name and said they would do their best when the order came in. The discs came this morning - under 24 hours later - so thumbs up to ReR.

Not entirely relevant but worthy of mention. I rang ReR before ordering yesterday around midday to check delivery would be before Saturday. They took my name and said they would do their best when the order came in. The discs came this morning - under 24 hours later - so thumbs up to ReR.

I think your comments on service are relevant and welcomed, helps others make decisions. David Petts who looks after mail ordering and newsletters is usually on the ball. He replaced a faulty CD for me recently without any hassle, arrived next day. Hope you enjoy your discs. I think I’ve said it before in a previous thread but Drive By is a personal favourite.

Gravity is indeed a fine album, great tunes and playing, one to dance to!
Haven’t got round to my three latest Necks CDs (The Body, Open and Silverwater) yet, but I’m enjoying Gravity very much. I always suspected Henry Cow members had senses of humour beneath the didactic exterior. Best ever version of ‘Dancing In the Street.’

I've only just got round to getting a copy of Three. Three shorter tracks ( 20 minutes each) but each with a different mood to the other. On a first few plays it is, of course, rather wonderful - beautiful, hypnotic and enriching music to lose yourself in. They are making even more sense to be during lockdown when time has become more elastic.

The new Necks record, Travel, is quite excellent, maybe one of their best. I've had it on repeat all weekend.

4 x 20 minute tracks this time, at least two of which I wish had progressed for the usual 60 minutes. Its got a very "in the room" sound to it with very few overdubs.

Unusually, this one is on most streaming services if anyone wants to dip in.

There's a very detailed review from Richard Williams here

The Necks – Travel (uncut.co.uk)

advertisement

Back