advertisement

The Myst G-Ohm

I think alot of it was built with RS Parts. It made the fact they could do it so nicely & still sell it at the price all the more surprising. Either that or they got their sums wrong.

Yes, both the TMA3 and G-Ohm relied mainly on RS parts. Good quality transformers though.

Those standoffs date back to when people thought soldering with 60/40 was likely to damage the semiconductor.

Those standoffs date back to when people thought soldering with 60/40 was likely to damage the semiconductor.

Partly, yes but they also improve assembly by providing a fixed position for the transistor instead of having a board covered in transistors all leaning in different directions. Generally much neater and more professional, in my opinion.

They were thought necessary for the metal can devices with wave soldering, to stop solder going through the pcb holes and shorting the can to tracks

I once met Mike Maloney and his lady, Mary during a visit to the then Audio Centre in Sheffield - nice folks.

The amps employed the fabled "Hitachi" mosfet circuit used by many a manufacturer including MF and Perreau to name a couple: http://www.angelfire.com/sd/paulkemble/sound7g.html

From my days of working on the G-Ohm and the TMA3, I remember them with some affection as being quite exquisitely constructed for the day.

I have never built one of the hitachi circuits, always added current sources and mirrors etc, thinking something so simple couldn't be any good, however reading this quote from the article

"For whatever reason, the thing worked very well. I was doing an MSc in the Audio engineering lab under Malcolm Hawksford at Essex University at the time. We knocked some up and were quite taken aback by how good they were - especially as we were in a 'mode' with our designs to see just how complex we could make them. The Hitachi Mosfet datasheet (and thinking back, it must have been early '80s) generated a host of copies. The Maplin Mosfet amp kit was well known. The current BK Electronics modules look as though they're based on it and there were innumerable commercial clones. It's one of those very simple circuits (like JLH's 10W class A) that somehow just seem to get it right. Particularly, as we found in Hawksford's lab, if you use two of them as a "Balanced" amp - a finding which set some of us off on a search for the "Earth effect" on the assumption that the improvement was largely down to balanced connection keeping high currents out of the earth connections. Malcolm actually published a number of AES papers (the "Pontoon" amplifiers) triggered by our investigations of these Balanced Mosfet amps.""

I might build one up, just for the hell of it.

I had a TMA3 which was lovely. Would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a great integrated amp at a reasonable price. It seems able to drive all sorts of speakers, but I wonder what speakers it was typically paired with. Does anyone know what speakers it was tested with at the design stage by any chance?

I'd love a G-Ohm system but may have to wait a long time!

Michael Maloney and his Wife were just about the only personnel at Myst. I was one of a handful of dealers stocking and selling the TMA3, a very nice little amp.

We used and sold lots of ProAc at the time, also Epos ES14. Michael enjoyed various ProAc with his amp and I believe used them at home. Though I';m a bit vague on this.

I never saw a G-Ohm, as this appeared towards the end of the company and never really had any exposure.

Michael Maloney and his Wife were just about the only personnel at Myst. I was one of a handful of dealers stocking and selling the TMA3, a very nice little amp.

We used and sold lots of ProAc at the time, also Epos ES14. Michael enjoyed various ProAc with his amp and I believe used them at home. Though I';m a bit vague on this.

I never saw a G-Ohm, as this appeared towards the end of the company and never really had any exposure.

It certainly sounds good through my ES14s :)

All the information I have found on the Internet points to the G-Ohm pre-dating the TMA3. The G-Ohm is in both the 1982 and 1983 brochures in which there is no mention of the TMA3 which had its first review in December 1984.

The capacitors in the G-Ohm power supply pictured in the original post date to early 1982.

It certainly sounds good through my ES14s :)

All the information I have found on the Internet points to the G-Ohm pre-dating the TMA3. The G-Ohm is in both the 1982 and 1983 brochures in which there is no mention of the TMA3 which had its first review in December 1984.

The capacitors in the G-Ohm power supply pictured in the original post date to early 1982.

Maybe that's why we never saw it ? After all these years, I'm a bit vague about the details.

The TMA3 was a lovely, sweet sounding amp which had plenty of drive for the speakers we stocked at that time. It's a great pity that Myst are no more. Maybe the Wellard product killed them off ?

If you follow the link in post #8 you'll find that Michael and Mary are still working from the same building but working on graphics rather than Hi Fi hardware.

The Myst TMA3 is indeed a truly nice amplifier and deserve another mention here, guess the G-ohm will not be easy to source down at all.

I have the TMA3 (below) and am surpriced how very well it perform

Pity the brand didn't survive longer

Wish they have had some skilled designer in house - even by late 80'ies standard, the visually design had no chance really, IMO, to be honest, it looks like some josty kit kitchen design, mind you many people buy with their eyes, looks are really important.

For me that is purely forgotten once its playing

image.jpg

I think the Tma 3 looks good in a minimalist way with the different to normal blue adding a splash of colour . However the black version probably looks better and neater .I have one of each as I love the sound , they do work well with proac but seem good with most speakers

I owned the Myst integrated can't remember it's Monica but I do remember the impression of "height" of the stereo image, never experienced this before, it looked real cute too!

I HAVE THE MONO,S DARK GOLD FRONTS AND BLUE BODIED,ALLEN BOLTS ON THE FRONT,THEY HAVE KIMBER BYPASS CAPS,ON PS AND MONO,S,WOULD LIKE TO GET A PRE AMP,THEY SOUND VERY GOOD,THEY OUSTED A NAP250,BUT I WAS USEING A VALVE PRE,

sold lots of tma 3,s back in the day,great little amp. also had the wellard loudspeakers in the shop .they were very special.mike had just taken phil Collins pair down to his studio I think it was during the mixing of the abacab album(its all so long ago!) ......

advertisement

Back