advertisement

The musings (ramblings) of a Leica owner

@Lefty - liking the hifi analogy! I've heard a rumour that PFM is also an audio forum so rather apt... ;)

Haha - who knew? :D

This may be (or probably will be) more random rambling from me, but I do wonder if some of the GFX magic comes from its use of a conventional Bayer filter array. We all appreciate that when it comes to colour science, Fuji is amongst the very best, but X-Trans might in fact be hindering rather than helping in other bodies - especially when RAFs are converted in software that isn't really getting the best from them.

One reason I've been thinking this is that a friend of mine recently bought an X-T200 which is putting out the most beautiful images, reminding me so much of the original X100. The GFX is just the same, but using a much bigger engine. :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this! Being honest, I've never been a fan of the X-Trans sensor and to me, it possibly creates more problems than it solves. (Which is a shame as I'm a big advocate for the 'think different' approach) I still love the Fuji X cameras, but can't help wonder if they might have been even better with Bayer sensors.....

I'll be interested to hear how you get on! I suspect the GFX will come out on top in pure IQ terms but the Z7 is no slouch. Looking forward to hearing about the results :)

Lefty

Last edited:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this! Being honest, I've never been a fan of the X-Trans sensor and to me, it possibly creates more problems than it solves. (Which is a shame as I'm a big advocate for the 'think different' approach) I still love the Fuji X cameras, but can't help wonder if they might have been even better with Bayer sensors.....

I'll be interested to hear how you get on! I suspect the GFX will come out on top in pure IQ terms but the Z7 is no slouch. Looking forward to hearing about the results :)

Lefty

Absolutely - one of the (probably the only) reasons I didn't stick with Fuji, despite my long-time great affection for their gear and approach to their designs, is that sensor. Personally, I feel it's trying to cure a problem that isn't really there and as you rightly say it creates more problems than it solves. Stick a Bayer array in an X-Pro3 and I'll be knocking on their door. Still wonderful kit though but losing X-Trans would mean Fuji falling on their swords, something the Japanese just don't do.

Will certainly jot down some (more) errant ramblings when I've had chance to play with the GFX etc. I really need to try a Z7 to either fall in love, or just get it out of my head - would be foolish not to. A Z7 with a couple of Z primes (35 & 85) then the Olympus with 12-40 & 40-150 2.8 zooms, plus a macro.

Absolutely - one of the (probably the only) reasons I didn't stick with Fuji, despite my long-time great affection for their gear and approach to their designs, is that sensor. Personally, I feel it's trying to cure a problem that isn't really there and as you rightly say it creates more problems than it solves. Stick a Bayer array in an X-Pro3 and I'll be knocking on their door. Still wonderful kit though but losing X-Trans would mean Fuji falling on their swords, something the Japanese just don't do.

Will certainly jot down some (more) errant ramblings when I've had chance to play with the GFX etc. I really need to try a Z7 to either fall in love, or just get it out of my head - would be foolish not to. A Z7 with a couple of Z primes (35 & 85) then the Olympus with 12-40 & 40-150 2.8 zooms, plus a macro.

I’ve had a few Fuji cameras and found their film simulations fantastic (albeit I think they have gone a little far with the choices you have now). As far as their RAW files though they were always too much of a challenge to play around with.

As for the Z7 - well the Z6ii is boxed ready to be returned and I will be ordering a Z7 once the refund is processed I think. I realised that I should have gone for the Z7 in the first place - the larger sensor being the difference and stand out feature I was looking for over other cameras.

I’ve had a few Fuji cameras and found their film simulations fantastic (albeit I think they have gone a little far with the choices you have now). As far as their RAW files though they were always too much of a challenge to play around with.

As for the Z7 - well the Z6ii is boxed ready to be returned and I will be ordering a Z7 once the refund is processed I think. I realised that I should have gone for the Z7 in the first place - the larger sensor being the difference and stand out feature I was looking for over other cameras.

Rob - great news re the Z7, if you go for it I'll be really keen to get your thoughts on it.

advertisement

Back