advertisement

The Move (Bev Bevan and Trevor Burton + others)

I saw Carl Wayne sing 'I can hear the Grass Grow' with the Shazam at the Garage a few years ago. Probably the last time he performed a Move song live.

The Move are a great band, every self respecting fan of pop music of any hue should have one of their best-ofs.

No idea what a reunion without Wood or Wayne would be like, mind.

Loved The Move. Their first two singles Night of Fear and I can hear the grass grow (both with brilliant B sides) got me thinking about all sorts of weird shit especially after an expose in the News and Screws about the lyrics etc - I was only an innocent 14 year old at the time!! Man, those WERE the days!!

BTW, their LP Shazam is a minor classic. Barkingly brilliant mixture of Nielsen-esque melody, power chord noisiness and prog-pop baroque.

Hi Simon.

I reckon that this could be a good gig - going across (on the ferry) with a couple of mates.

The Cellars is a really small place (max 120 people) but has a brilliant atmosphere - also the Hobgoblin bitter will have nothing (much) to do with it ;-)

Dave.

I'd love to go, but a piss up in Portsmouth on a school night is no longer tenable for me.......I do, however, have fond memories of garage punk nights at Gosport Labour Club.

I'd love to go, but a piss up in Portsmouth on a school night is no longer tenable for me.......I do, however, have fond memories of garage punk nights at Gosport Labour Club.

That's about a mile from where I live! Did you go to school locally?

Funny enough, Alan (work colleague) heard Roy Wood on the Radio yesterday saying that he has nothing to do with this new line-up.
Not sure he was actually dissing them, but maybe not too happy?
As you said, see what they are like with who turns up.

Dave.

That's about a mile from where I live! Did you go to school locally?

No, I'm originally from Salisbury, but we used to go to Portsmouth regularly to catch local garage punk legends The Mild Mannered Janitors (Who also opened for the Prisoners at their first reunion gig at Subterranea in the early 90's).

advertisement

Back