advertisement

The most boring band?

I quite like the early Quo,up to Piledriver anyway :)
They made good rock music up to Blue For You and Quo Live in 1977 before they fell of a cliff of credibility with the weedy Rocking all over the World, but Ma Kelly’s Greasy Spoon, Dog of Two Head and Piledriver are, indeed, properly great albums.

The only music I find really boring is the sort of self important grandiloquent rock music carefully calculated to be both serious and commercially appealing made by people whose main aim is raw commercial success. I’d put the likes of U2, Coldplay and Imagine Dragons in with this lot. Phil Collins and the Police just about escape being bundled in with this particular circle of musical hell, although they’re definitely in it’s orbit.

Wash your mouth out
I was thinking last night about REM, wasn't father Paul Stone the singer? :oops:

Yes I know but in proper Genesis he was where he should be… on the drums and only on the drums.
I think you might be trying to re-write history there - he can be clearly heard on backing vocals on several tracks during the 'Gabriel era' and indeed on his own on 'More Fool Me' from the 'Selling England By The Pound' album and 'For Absent Friends' on 'Nursery Cryme'.

I think you might be trying to re-write history there - he can be clearly heard on backing vocals on several tracks during the 'Gabriel era' and indeed on his own on 'More Fool Me' from the 'Selling England By The Pound' album and 'For Absent Friends' on 'Nursery Cryme'.
Yeah, I know he escaped from the drum kit a couple of times, but they put him back in his box for the most part :D

Well, obviously J.S.Bach was a talentless loser for a start. To be fair he never actually managed to form a whole band, such was his inadequacy, but nonetheless I think it’s important that a thread like this allows me to express my superiority for being the first to really recognise his lack of ability.

I was just thinking that you'd have to go a long way to beat the Cure at the 2004 Oxygen festival. I went mostly to see PJ Harvey & Orbital, but Robert and the Gang were headlining and god were they dull. He just droned on and on and it became a good excuse to beat the traffic and make our way back to the digs. Loved them in the early days btw & A forest remains one of my fave tracks of the era.

Rolling Stones, grandads with 18yr old Brazilian girlfriends. Haven’t made a good original/ish record since 1968.

Styx were my first proper band crush in early seventies, never saw live as was 9 when first heard, I was living in Canada where they outsold Beatles. Strange people Canutes.

Rolling Stones, grandads with 18yr old Brazilian girlfriends. Haven’t made a good original/ish record since 1968.

I think their records from the 70s up to Some Girls are also decent-ish.

I went to see them at Twickenham about a decade ago just because a mate wanted to go and I'd never seen them live. Had low expectations but actually really enjoyed it - not boring at all! Jumping Jack Flash sounded incredibly raw - not at all what I expected to hear.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard a Styx record. Rolling Stones are ok, some of their stuff is not boring, not my cup of tea but can understand their appeal.

Styx became a cliche for aor, but early stuff (first 3 Lps) are fab, that was b4 Denis de Young (babe) dominated lineup. I much prefer material written by Tommy shaw, sounds like a proper garage band.

if stones had split up in 1970 they would be gods, but time wearies legends.

if dull is your thing I fell asleep at a van Morrison gig!
I saw Jesus and Mary chain play and by end of 35 min gig half of audience had left, prob worst gig ever saw.

I must admit, the Beatles turn me off a bit as well. Maybe it’s overexposure.

Funny thing with the Beatles is that familiarity usually engages me for the first 30 seconds to a minute of every song i hear and boredom invariably sets in by the second minute. So their stuff is at once eminently listenable and unlistenable.

Interesting contrast to the Fall where i'm bored, sometimes to revolution, through probably 85% of their output, but the odd gem on every album has been played to death over the 45 years i've been out of love with the Beatles.

Couldn’t figure why Chicago so popular in 80s then heard first album, as you say cracking.
Was weird when Peter Cetera died and they cloned him years before dolly happened.

advertisement

Back