advertisement

The more I look into LP12, the more I’m confused

dunnoguit

pfm Member
Like many people said, LP12 is the turntable you need to have, at least for a while. I’m always obsessed with those vintage classics and am trying to get one LP12. But after some certain amount of research, I’m confused. Looks like everything needs to be original if you are buying 2nd. If you don’t have original feet, not Linn Sound. If not original bolt, not Linn Sound. For a 40 years old turntable, that seems to be impossible. I’m actually thinking buying a well tempered table or clearaudio and call it a day. But the itch will be still there.

There's plenty of LP12 choice out there if you need to scratch that itch. My two pennorth is that a late 80s, early 90s deck with an Ekos and Valhalla is the thing. Get it serviced by a decent Linn dealer and it'll be good for years. If finding the right one becomes a chore then a WT is a great sounding alternative and some would say better, too.

A friend had a Linn almost 40 years ago. It was bought used, but was an early one with a slot on the top of the plinth for the leg that kept the lid open. At the time I thought it sounded superb, and I’ve often wondered what one would sound in my system. An itch that, for the moment, remains unscratched.

There's plenty out there, pre circus has its adherents but I would try & get a lingo if possible as they are a bit more user friendly. At the end of the day it is just a record player, I have had one for over 20 years & have never really bothered to explore the alternatives as I have always been happy with it. Of course there is always 'better' out there but I am just not that much of a fanatic

Can still be a great turntable. However, if you’re not confident with spotting the different variations, go through a dealer or someone who does know the Finer points.
Get tempted by a “bargain” on the Bay, etc & you may end up having to shell out more for some remedial work to be done.

Like many people said, LP12 is the turntable you need to have, at least for a while. I’m always obsessed with those vintage classics and am trying to get one LP12. But after some certain amount of research, I’m confused. Looks like everything needs to be original if you are buying 2nd. If you don’t have original feet, not Linn Sound. If not original bolt, not Linn Sound. For a 40 years old turntable, that seems to be impossible. I’m actually thinking buying a well tempered table or clearaudio and call it a day. But the itch will be still there.
It’s not feet or bolts that I’d worry about, it’s third party sub chassis upgrades, psu/motors (like the origin live DC kit), top plates etc... there’s nothing wrong with them, but they will alter the sound from stock.
It should be really easy to find a stock deck, there are many thousands in circulation... but even a deck with third party mods is worth considering, just try and hear it first.

One thing I’m now certain of, is that it’s a great deck. I went to the Kegworth show on Sunday and heard several LP12s of various specs, they all sounded superb and now I really, really miss my old one. I will be buying another when funds permit.

If you can afford a Well Tempered then perhaps you can also stretch to a second hand or ex-dem Majik LP12 from a dealer. Buying from a reputable dealer will help remove the worry and pitfalls.

I purchased a late 80s deck from my dealer (Colin Macey) last year for a 2nd system. I didn't want to take chances but many people are less risk-averse than me. There is a price premium to be paid for this level of assurance and peace of mind. Auction sites, 2nd hand sites, and 2nd hand dealers will always be cheaper avenues. It does sound lovely though and has become a real workhorse as I work from home.

If you can afford a Well Tempered then perhaps you can also stretch to a second hand or ex-dem Majik LP12 from a dealer. Buying from a reputable dealer will help remove the worry and pitfalls.

I purchased a late 80s deck from my dealer (Colin Macey) last year for a 2nd system. I didn't want to take chances but many people are less risk-averse than me. There is a price premium to be paid for this level of assurance and peace of mind. Auction sites, 2nd hand sites, and 2nd hand dealers will always be cheaper avenues. It does sound lovely though and has become a real workhorse as I work from home.

Thanks Charlie, I might be able to afford a Majik LP12 but it seems to have a project arm?

It’s really not hard to get to hear one.

Performance and tone are dependent on specification and vary wildly.

Valhalla pre cirkus sounds warm and vintage

More modern iterations have the fundamental tunefulness linn are famous for but with all the kinks worked out.

You May find a well tempered a cheaper route to your happy.

Thanks Charlie, I might be able to afford a Majik LP12 but it seems to have a project arm?
True, and it doesn't quite look the part as much as a Linn arm. Based on what I've heard of a budget Pro-Ject deck, I wouldn't be worried about the arm's performance though. You can always upgrade in future. Having said that, my preference would be a pre-Cirkus deck with Linn arm.

My experience ties in with David's ref how the LP12 sound has evolved.

Will you be connecting it to a Nait as per your Avatar dunnoguit?

This is just my view and many will dissagree but if you're more sensitive to pitch (i.e. tunefulness/ability to follow each melody) then the more modern, and higher spec the deck, the more tuneful it will be. Whereas, if you're more sensitive to rhythm/boogie (i.e sync/timing between all musicians) then I do prefer the older pre-Cirkus bearing/subchassis. Perhaps you have an idea of your own preferences in these areas and it will help your decision making.

Linn amps are very tuneful but the Nait boogies better (whilst still holding a tune well enough for me), hence the amp question.

Last edited:
Ivor was a genius, a marketing genius that is...
Maybe, but my ears work very well indeed, I heard several decks the weekend including a really nice Garrard 301 and a SME 20, taking price into account, the LP12s really didn’t give anything away to them. The other decks were different but all superb. If I could have an SME 20, Garrard 301 and a Linn LP12 se to skip between I’d be a very happy bunny and I’d use all of them. The SME is about as neutral and uncoloured as I’ve heard from a turntable, the 301 was warm and silky smooth and the LP12 was just utterly engaging and at Klimax spec, more than a match for the SME! All my opinion of course.

You’re much, much better off with that Pro-ject arm than an old Linn Basik or MK1 Akito, and you’ll be able to hear it before you buy. Go check one out. If I were building one for sensible money, I’d pick a Roksan Nima arm, which isn’t a Linn arm either... in fact it was a while before linn made an arm (or rather had made for them), people fitted things like the SME 3009, or Grace or Hadcock models and the decks sold like hot cakes.

If the OP goes for a new Majik level deck, it now comes with a Jelco arm, which is, apparently, better than the Pro-ject one.

Mick

Edit: and yes, I recommend the dealer route too.

advertisement

Back