advertisement

The minimum required before isolation

I would do spikes between speakers and granite, polipods between granite and floor. In that way speakers will not be woobly.

I was getting a lot of bass boom, which has now gone. This was a very serious problem for me as I was going to go for room correction etc. to fix it but now I don't think I need to.

I have mainly valve kit, both digital streaming / Dac, and a vinyl set up.
I was ettin orroble bass boom from my speakers on stands wit spikes directly into floorboards on top of carpets. I put te spikes on ssteel soes wic improved te sound ten i used taret audio spike pucks wic made a startlin difference to te SQ. Te bass boom ad one and SQ was simply oozin from te speakers wit a muc improved soundstae and musical performance. Tey cost me 24 dollars from canada a few weeks ao. A brilliant but ceap uprad like a box uprade in itself. Its not about ow muc you spend its wat you do and ow you do it. Researc your problem first ten follow te ceapest diy route you can, tats my way and te best way.

What energy in the floor? If you're dancing around then yes but what 'energy' could be in the floor that would affect the sound of a loudspeaker? :confused:

If there is energy in the floor, can I get some isolating slippers and a chair to make sure it doesn't flow into me too?
Its true te vibration of te speakers and stands transmit to te floor and te floor trembles vibrates and causes ue resonance in te sound. avin used new tarfet udio spike elastomer soes te vast majority of te vibration and bass boom disappeared and was replaced wit a ue improvement in SQ. Tis only works if you ave your system i fi properly set up on ood racks and platforms.

So due to being about to lay a new floor, I'll be doing the following (in whatever order makes sense):

1) screwing all floorboards down with two 40mm screws at each intersection with a joist.
2) where loudspeakers will be placed, floorboards cut out and replaced with 18mm ply (it's really to create a temp hatch to insulate the floor from below and just so happens I need two hatches).
3) rubber pads placed under the end of each of these hatch boards to isolate them (It's actually to match the thickness of the original floorboards).
4) adding 12mm 7 layer plywood across the whole floor, screwed down to the floorboards
5) layer of engineered flooring.
6) mounting the turntable on a wall shelf.

Job done, should be no feedback loop or sound-board effect from the floor. Nothing fancy needed except a wife who wants a new floor fitted and has been told that insulating underneath will make a big difference to comfort in winter. Oh, and lots of screws.

advertisement

Back