advertisement

The LS50 is dead ...

Hopefully they've got the most important thing right this time - the frequency response.

I've gone a bit bonkers on standmount speakers in recent years, and the original KEF LS50 is one that made a real impression - fantastic focused powerful detailed sound with holographic imaging, but... an aggressive treble ruined it for me

From the reviews, the new one is more transparent. Hope they haven't lost the warm powerful midrange

From the reviews, the new one has a more sophisticated treble or something. Hope they've lost the ear attacking harshness

I'd love to hear a pair, and I'm keen to hear others views...

... an aggressive treble ruined it for me
We all have different interpretations I suppose.
That wasn't my impression of them. I sent them back. They just did not sing for me. Can't say it was a treble issue.
I preferred many others in the same sort of price bracket, or near enough, or even a lot cheaper - secondhand.
They need to look as good as a BBC monitor for starters.

And sort the recessed mid range.

Just my opinion.

We all have different interpretations I suppose.
That wasn't my impression of them. I sent them back. They just did not sing for me. Can't say it was a treble issue.
I preferred many others in the same sort of price bracket, or near enough, or even a lot cheaper - secondhand.
They need to look as good as a BBC monitor for starters.

And sort the recessed mid range.

Just my opinion.

Yes i think they need a good stand and the right amp otherwise they just don't work very well

Yes i think they need a good stand and the right amp otherwise they just don't work very well
My stands are pretty solid and my amps are happy with all sorts of speakers.

The only failing on my part might have been not allowing enough time to run them in.

But if I don't like them within a week I run out of statutory rights.

Back they went.

The LS50 is dead... fair enough title for the thread, that's always kind of been my impression, I've never found them very engaging.

My experience of them (originals) is relatively limited — I've heard them several times, but only with amplification from Naim or Hegel, and neither combination has ever appealed.

But on the other hand, Herb Reichert, by far my favourite audio writer since the sad loss of Art Dudley, seems to think highly of them, albeit normally with a rather more left-field choice of amplifier. Rogue Audio Sphinx, anyone?

Might be interesting to hear the new versions in the context of a different system with a better amp ( to my tastes) than Naim or Hegel. Wonder what a Sugden Masterclass would make of them?

I think they are brilliant. Had them for 3 years and very happy. I have never heard any aggressive treble with them. Just using a NAD D7050 with them and only digital and TV.

Quite inefficient for a ported stand-mount speaker aren’t they. 85db/W/m.
So I would think they would need a good powerful amp to really get em singing.
The original ones never quite did it for me, they never really seemed to open up enough. But I know they had many fans & rave reviews, so maybe I just never heard them with quite the right amps.

Me too. Loved the style, but found it too sonically recessed; mind you, the dip around 1-2KHz can make a lot of difference. My current speakers have about +1dB in that area, and they have much better clarity and presence.

What is a good amp for the LS50?

If I were pondering this, I'd actually buy the LS50 active wireless. They are an order of magnitude better than the passive version with a "suitable" standalone amp.
I've not heard the "meta" version of either yet.

advertisement

Back