advertisement

The Lord Of the rings on 4K BluRay.

OK...There are films I bought for the first time on 4K disc, and ones I previously had on BluRay. The latter ones can really outshine their standard equivalents, and of those, apart from LOTR, I reckon I was most surprised by Jaws, which really shines in 4K. Another one is Saving Private Ryan, an excellent standard BluRay but so much more on 4K, particularly the Dolby Atmos soundtrack - also the original The Lion King, and even the new version, which we enjoyed (it tells the story in a slightly different way). The Harry Potter movies are quite variable in 4K, but if you like the films it's still worth going for the 4K box set. The three John Wick films are quite spectacular in both sound and vision, likewise the Avengers superhero films.

That's enough to be going on with!

Hi Tony. What player are you spinning your 4K discs on?

Cheers, Rack.

It boggles my mind that the man that made Bad Taste and Braindead has ended up where he is. If only the same had happened to Russ Meyer.

Having decided to wait for next years Ultimate even more expensive editions, purchased the extended collection on Apple TV (thanks app on new TV!) for £29-99 - bloody good picture. Can’t wait for the Ultimate disk version now!

Having decided to wait for next years Ultimate even more expensive editions, purchased the extended collection on Apple TV (thanks app on new TV!) for £29-99 - bloody good picture. Can’t wait for the Ultimate disk version now!
I did buy the HD extended cuts &The Hobbit trilogy from the Apple store a few weeks ago, and I notice these have all now been upgraded to 4K. Yep, excellent picture but as usual not up to the discs.

I've just finished disc 1 of The Fellowship of the Ring on a 77 OLED in a blacked-out room
Absolutely amazing picture quality. Time to get another beer and watch disc 2

I've just finished disc 1 of The Fellowship of the Ring on a 77 OLED in a blacked-out room
Absolutely amazing picture quality. Time to get another beer and watch disc 2

Excellent idea. I was poised for some Destiny 2 before bed, but it so happens the same disc was next for me too, and I have some rather wonderful Lervig 3 bean stout to drink. So I shall do likewise.

It boggles my mind that the man that made Bad Taste and Braindead has ended up where he is. If only the same had happened to Russ Meyer.
Jackson’s early films are great fun. I know this isn’t what you mean, and although I understand their appeal, I don’t care for his LOTR, but then I’m not a Tolkien fan either. Saw the first film and found it enough. Some weirdo conversation earwigger tried to tear strips from me for my opinion!

My favourite Jackson films are Heavenly Creatures and Forgotten Silver. I’m sure They Shall Not Grow Old will join the aforementioned two when I see the entire thing.

I find Lord of the Ring pretentious and boring. Oh and it’s too damn long.
My worst cinema experience ever.

You’re in a minority but each to their own, personally think it’s too short :) I have read the books a multitude of times so maybe it’s part relief they didn’t make a total hash/joke out of it. I do agree with many that’s it’s one of the best series of movies of recent times/ever.

We’re watching the new 4K box sets of LOTR and Dark Knight this holiday.

Happy New Year , hope it pans out better than 2020, we get some decent movies to watch and there’s something for everyone to enjoy.

You’re in a minority but each to their own, personally think it’s too short :) I have read the books a multitude of times so maybe it’s part relief they didn’t make a total hash/joke out of it. I do agree with many that’s it’s one of the best series of movies of recent times/ever.

We’re watching the new 4K box sets of LOTR and Dark Knight this holiday.

Happy New Year , hope it pans out better than 2020, we get some decent movies to watch and there’s something for everyone to enjoy.
Yes it’s brilliant. We have watched the first 2 episodes and half of episode 3 over the last days and this included our third kid who is 7. Many mums at school think it is irresponsible to watch these movies with young kids but it is a far better story than most childrens stuff.

sadly no uhd yet!

Yes it’s brilliant. We have watched the first 2 episodes and half of episode 3 over the last days and this included our third kid who is 7. Many mums at school think it is irresponsible to watch these movies with young kids but it is a far better story than most childrens stuff.

sadly no uhd yet!
Got an OLED TV on Black Friday, the movies we’ve watched so far have been fabulous, not a massive step up from the calibrated Kuro/1080p Oppo Blu Ray stuff, but noticeably better all round. Having the latest tech/remote on the TV itself is a bonus too.

There is certainly a lot of walking, and they could have just sent the dragon thing with the ring, save everyone a lot of reading.

That wouldn’t have dealt with the corrupt Saruman, the issues in Moria or brought the Ents into play, the journey was required ;).

My main criticism of the film series is the omission of the most important chapter in the third book, The Scouring of the Shire, unforgivable imho & I read that Christopher Lee was openly critical of the third film too for similar reasons

advertisement

Back