advertisement

The Lord Of the rings on 4K BluRay.

If you expected LOTR the sequel then yes it falls down. Taken on its own or if LOTR had’t preceded it I don’t think it would have been quite so maligned. I like it and have watched it a few times, admittedly nowhere near as many as LOTR or Aliens.

The Hobbit series of films were somewhat dragged out... the issue I had with it was that so many of the scenes looked like they were video game episodes... didn't enjoy it too much other than the spectacle of the battles... the original films on the big screen were stunning, albeit the storyline changes

We watched the first disc of The Two Towers last night (the extended versions are spread across two discs, as with the BluRays). It looks wonderful, particularly the fight at Helm's Deep, where the blackness is full of details not apparent on the BluRays. Our OLED really shows its advantage with its pure black capabilities. The bass is quite awesome on both films, absolutely earthquake stuff. I understand that, like most Dolby Atmos encoded discs, the bass is cut off at 30Hz, but I can't say that was apparent.

We watched the first disc of The Two Towers last night (the extended versions are spread across two discs, as with the BluRays). It looks wonderful, particularly the fight at Helm's Deep, where the blackness is full of details not apparent on the BluRays. Our OLED really shows its advantage with its pure black capabilities. The bass is quite awesome on both films, absolutely earthquake stuff. I understand that, like most Dolby Atmos encoded discs, the bass is cut off at 30Hz, but I can't say that was apparent.
I first read that as The Two Ronnies and thought wtf.

Hearing that the new version is apparently so good has got me curious.

I should be hearing one way or the other about whether I got a job today. If it’s good news, I think I may splurge on the LOTR set.

Well, turns out I got the job. Which was nice.

But now I come to order the 4K goodies, I find that Amazon says that it’ll send the package out within 1-2 months. Basically I think they’ve sold out.

So can anyone suggest a good place for ordering this sort of thing? I haven’t bought any DVDs or anything for ages, so I don’t know where’s best to look.

Stick an order into Amazon and have a look round, cancel if you blag one elsewhere, otherwise Amazon often says it’ll take weeks and the stuff arrives much earlier.

Watched 5 minutes last night. Looks great, but the acting and plot leave something to be desired.

Stick an order into Amazon and have a look round, cancel if you blag one elsewhere, otherwise Amazon often says it’ll take weeks and the stuff arrives much earlier.

Well, this turned out to be spot on. Just had an email that they’re revising the expected delivery date, and it should now arrive on Monday. So thanks again for the tip.

I started with a pretty standard 1960s edition and found that the plot was OK, if a bit stilted. Sadly though, the bass was non existent, the imaging all over the place and the sex... well there wasn't any..

OK...There are films I bought for the first time on 4K disc, and ones I previously had on BluRay. The latter ones can really outshine their standard equivalents, and of those, apart from LOTR, I reckon I was most surprised by Jaws, which really shines in 4K. Another one is Saving Private Ryan, an excellent standard BluRay but so much more on 4K, particularly the Dolby Atmos soundtrack - also the original The Lion King, and even the new version, which we enjoyed (it tells the story in a slightly different way). The Harry Potter movies are quite variable in 4K, but if you like the films it's still worth going for the 4K box set. The three John Wick films are quite spectacular in both sound and vision, likewise the Avengers superhero films.

That's enough to be going on with!

I’ll add Dark Knight, Gladiator, Lawrence of Arabia, Top Gun, Apocalypse Now and Schindler’s List, all fab on 4K and worth thinking about buying again especially if you have Laserdics or DVDs not Blu Ray.

Hmmmmm, spend £75 now or wait until next years Ultimate edition?
Depends whether you're interested in all the special features or not; got those on the Bluray.

Agree with Gladiator, Lawrence, Apocalypse, didn't think Top Gun was a huge improvement over the Blu. Braveheart is excellent. Surprisingly, Beetlejuice is good too. Haven't seen Shindler's List on 4K - I'll put on the list.

advertisement

Back