advertisement

The Leica look

Its that lovely diagonal within a very classic 'pose', almost like an element of a great painting. Raft of the Medusa springs to mind.

Yes, it's a cracker. The right arm and head form a lovely diagonal, but there's something about the fingers on the left hand that makes it even stronger IMHO. As I say a cracking photo.

Silly me, I thought I recognised it! I go past that spot every day on my way into Harlow.
Yes, that bloody great waterfall makes a right bollocks of the parking around there. Mind you, with the dry weatehr we've been having it's probably not so bad at the moment.

@drummerman You obviously have an itch that needs to be scratched!! Just go and buy a Leica Q, the quality of your images is easily good enough to justify the purchase, and you'll find like @Lefty and me (and probably others), that once the photography bug bites, you stop (wasting) spending money on hi-fi!!

Since getting into more photography, I've gone from a big Meridian/Shahinian system to a Naim Muso under my TV and a Squeezebox Boom in my office!! (don't enjoy the music any less!!, just the priorities of where I spend my money have changed!!)

I was very tempted with a Q, even visited Leica Manchester and had a play with one, but I felt it was too big and heavy for what I wanted that type of camera for, and bought an X100F instead - Ialso prefer the 35mm (FF equivalent) FOV on a walkabout camera. That said the Q is a fantastic camera, and feels bulletproof in the hand.

@drummermanI was very tempted with a Q, even visited Leica Manchester and had a play with one...

Speaking of the Leica Manchester shop, can I add a quick plug for an exhibition there.

Every few years the Leica forum (see above) puts together a book to raise money for charity. Members submit photographs at £10 a time and the images are then voted on by the forum members. The top 100 or so them make it into a book that is sold via Blurb. So far we've raised several £k.

Any how, the point is that the Leica shop are hosting an exhibition of the top 20 photographs. Although two of mine made it into the book neither were in the top 20, so I'm not plugging my own work. Entry is, of course, free.

End of plug.

@drummerman You obviously have an itch that needs to be scratched!! Just go and buy a Leica Q, the quality of your images is easily good enough to justify the purchase, and you'll find like @Lefty and me (and probably others), that once the photography bug bites, you stop (wasting) spending money on hi-fi!!

Since getting into more photography, I've gone from a big Meridian/Shahinian system to a Naim Muso under my TV and a Squeezebox Boom in my office!! (don't enjoy the music any less!!, just the priorities of where I spend my money have changed!!)

I was very tempted with a Q, even visited Leica Manchester and had a play with one, but I felt it was too big and heavy for what I wanted that type of camera for, and bought an X100F instead - Ialso prefer the 35mm (FF equivalent) FOV on a walkabout camera. That said the Q is a fantastic camera, and feels bulletproof in the hand.

Thanks and nothing wrong with a MuSo. I am starting my new job shortly and I think I may have to put the Leica on top of my list of luxuries I want but don't really need! A Xmas present to myself?

I have not held one but my guess it will fit my XL mits.

On a somewhat related subject ... a totally irrelevant and useless fact; Thorsten Overgaard, whose videos I do enjoy, is a Scientologist.

It does not matter greatly but I came across this recently and was somewhat surprised, not sure why though. Plenty of much bigger names there.

On a somewhat related subject ... Thorsten Overgaard, whose videos I do enjoy, is a Scientologist.

It does not matter greatly but I came across this recently and was somewhat surprised, not sure why though. Plenty of much bigger names there.

He also released a very, very expensive camera bag made from an endangered species. Didn’t go down too well.

Oh, and he and his missus are chummy (or pretend to be chummyj with Trump.

http://www.overgaard.dk/the-story-behind-that-picture-0188_gb.html

Its that lovely diagonal within a very classic 'pose', almost like an element of a great painting. Raft of the Medusa springs to mind.

Yes, that's what makes it a good photograph, I was trying to comment on what makes it "The Leica Look".

I'm currently wading through all the hundreds of hours of superb videos available at Luminous Landscapes. It's the only thing I subscribe to and amazing value for $12/year. I'm halfway through The Leica Story. Plenty on lens design. Really interesting.

On a different note. The Masters series is also very good. I watched the one with landscape photographer Charles Cramer and it goes into great depth showing all aspects of his process from seeing/shooting to printing. Quite inspiring.

Once you subscribe you can either stream or download the videos. Most are in 720p or 1080p so it looks good on your TV. I watch them in the lounge using the browser on the Amazon Firestick.

advertisement

Back