advertisement

the land of jesus

vuk

\o/ choose anarchy
On the same day that the House swore in its first Muslim women member Rep. Movita Johnson-Harrell, D-Philadelphia, freshman Rep. Stephanie Borowicz, R-Clinton County, stepped to the House rostrum to offer a prayer proclaiming her Christian beliefs and how the nation has forgotten Jesus and asking for forgiveness.

i don't understand how that doesn't break some kind of rules, if not laws.

the house of representatives has chaplain, who (or a guest chaplain) opens each congressional session with a prayer, which would seem to violate the separation of church and state, but it's been going on since day one.

On the same day that the House swore in its first Muslim women member Rep. Movita Johnson-Harrell, D-Philadelphia, freshman Rep. Stephanie Borowicz, R-Clinton County, stepped to the House rostrum to offer a prayer proclaiming her Christian beliefs and how the nation has forgotten Jesus and asking for forgiveness.
I'm taking a wild guess that she's not talking about a Mexican or other South American? :rolleyes:

Every sitting of the House of Commons opens with this Christian prayer;

"Lord, the God of righteousness and truth, grant to our Queen and her government, to Members of Parliament and all in positions of responsibility, the guidance of your Spirit. May they never lead the nation wrongly through love of power, desire to please, or unworthy ideals but laying aside all private interests and prejudices keep in mind their responsibility to seek to improve the condition of all mankind; so may your kingdom come and your name be hallowed.

Amen."

I didn’t have the stomach to listen to more than 10 sec the first time. Having listened to the whole thing, I found it very disturbing. I got the bit that God supports Likud but I was wondering what the domestic “wickedness” she referred to was.

Every sitting of the House of Commons opens with this Christian prayer;

"Lord, the God of righteousness and truth, grant to our Queen and her government, to Members of Parliament and all in positions of responsibility, the guidance of your Spirit. May they never lead the nation wrongly through love of power, desire to please, or unworthy ideals but laying aside all private interests and prejudices keep in mind their responsibility to seek to improve the condition of all mankind; so may your kingdom come and your name be hallowed.

Amen."
So much for the power of prayer.

Pointless thread of the year award no 2. Everyone outside the U.S has known for years that a small proportion of the US population are christian nutters.

Even Wodehouse satirised it.

Everyone outside the U.S has known for years that a small proportion of the US population are christian nutters.

I'd say rather that a rather substantial proportion of the US population are total hypocrites, their harsh, judgmental, holier-than-thou mentality bearing a remarkable resemblance to the Pharisees of Jesus's day, rather than to the man himself who was roundly condemned for eating with tax collectors and sinners. "The healthy don't need doctors, only the sick do," he responded wryly. I don't think the Pharisees got the point...

advertisement

Back