advertisement

The Know it all Audiophile

I am deeply disturbed that visitors might look at my quads and think I am the person in this film.

Indeed! Also, I feel I should add that, in the thirty five years I have been involved in this audio hobby, it has always been dominated by ‘cashed up middle aged dudes’ and likely always will be.

Largely true - but back in the 1970s as a student there were plenty of folk around me with half decent systems in their student bedrooms. Some AR3 speakers and decent (pre LP12!) turntables in use. And a lot more shops selling gear to younger people than today. I spent a deal of time trawling the Edgeware and Tottenham Court Roads...all gone now!

Last edited:
Darko’s latest video made me laugh. I think he is describing everyone on this forum, especially the bit about DIY streamers. :)

I’ve just wasted ten minutes of my life watching this and I very much hope he’d never meet anyone as patronising, condescending and arrogant as himself here or on any other decent audio forum. 100% clickbait gobshittery IMHO.

In reality the audio community is remarkably diverse and far-reaching encompassing all musical genres and kit topologies, e.g. even here on pfm we have everything from vintage valve amps to cutting edge digital active speakers, 78s to high-res streaming, Bach to Stormsy. Sure, I feel there are certainly things the wider audio community needs to do to attract more young folk coming in from a MP3/earbud platform, and I’m not quite sure how to do this (if I was I’d already have done it!), but I can’t think of any credible audio site or dealer who would be anything other than welcoming. Diversity and opinions formed through experience is not snobbery FFS!

I think the simple reason the audio market is dominated by ‘cashed up middle aged dudes’ (as he anachronistically puts it) is simply because such Hi-Fi is bloody expensive and very much a luxury purchase!

Not as expensive as a house, which the youth of today cannot afford.

So it takes him 5 minutes to say
“ make your own mind up” or
“ your money, your music, your system”
What exactly is he whittering on about?
I assume someone on youtube or a forum has upset him?

So it takes him 5 minutes to say
“ make your own mind up” or
“ your money, your music, your system”
What exactly is he whittering on about?
I assume someone on youtube or a forum has upset him?

If only everyone was like you the world would be a better place. Sadly a lot of people know exactly what he is wittering on about. It’s a light hearted rant and already people have taken it too seriously. Yes it’s clickbait but who cares, it entertained me fo 5 mins. Long may he carry on!

It doesn’t have to be though, does it. I started out with a dual TT, a rotel amp & heybrook hb1 speakers. I wasn’t particularly wealthy when I bought that stuff back in the early 80’s but it gave me so much enjoyment of music.
Today, I can’t see why someone in their 20’s can’t also get immense enjoyment from a system for £1k or under especially if buying 2nd hand. Ok they may move up the ladder as we all do but even a fairly modest system can give musical pleasure & not just for cashed up middle aged dudes.

It doesn’t have to be though, does it. I started out with a dual TT, a rotel amp & heybrook hb1 speakers. I wasn’t particularly wealthy when I bought that stuff back in the early 80’s but it gave me so much enjoyment of music.
Today, I can’t see why someone in their 20’s can’t also get immense enjoyment from a system for £1k or under especially if buying 2nd hand. Ok they may move up the ladder as we all do but even a fairly modest system can give musical pleasure & not just for cashed up middle aged dudes.
We didn't have smart phones and bluetooth though, I can totally see why someone would wonder why on earth they would want all these boxes and shelves full of cds and records when they can just have a phone and one box of electronics. Certainly as a starting point anyway.

... Sure, I feel there are certainly things the wider audio community needs to do to attract more young folk coming in from a MP3/earbud platform, and I’m not quite sure how to do this (if I was I’d already have done it!), but I can’t think of any credible audio site or dealer who would be anything other than welcoming. ...

Seems to me one way to hook millennial and younger listeners would be to emphasize the social aspects of listening to music through loudspeakers as an experience that can be shared.

advertisement

Back