advertisement

The Karousel has landed

I’ve never bent one myself, but I have seen several bent ones with absolutely no signs of damage (dents, scratches etc) so I can only assume an impact against a soft surface is sufficient.

PS I’m only talking minor bends here obviously, say 0.5-1mm run-out. I just have the mindset that always spots this sort of thing! There is also a balancing issue with many LP12s; if you get down to the deck’s level you can often see the arm-board ‘breathing’ once per revolution, again a really, really tiny amount, but it exists on many.

Admittedly I don't have much experience of LP12s , that's why I asked, my brother had a few second hand models and complained it took a few to build a good one, though when working as well as they could sounded okay.

It would seem Tony´s is not the only pre 85 outer platter that may not comfortably "fit" the new Karousel inner platter so if and when I decided would possibly have to buy a new outer platter too so we´re looking at over a grand including carriage ´cos it seems there´s no longer the good old Vat470 forms to get your VAT back, either - the Canaries are /were VAt free- plus I would have to pay import duty here. Conclusion : hassle all round. I guess the Brexiteers have made my mind uo for me. That´s a weight off my mind.

I don't understand how an outer platter (which I assume fitted the old inner) wouldn't fit a new inner because of a slight bend/distortion in the outer.

Surely if both old and new inners were made to the same dimensions, the problem would be evident in both applications?

Perhaps Linn's tolerances have been tightened up too much, requiring some old platters be consigned to eBay?

possibly, or perhaps they have changed the dimensions? (at the same time as changing the outer platter material?)

I don't understand how an outer platter (which I assume fitted the old inner) wouldn't fit a new inner because of a slight bend/distortion in the outer.

Surely if both old and new inners were made to the same dimensions, the problem would be evident in both applications?
Bowing distortion will push the bottom edge of the hole in the outer platter inwards. I imagine inner & outer platters are matched as pairs when being assembled, to take account of engineering tolerances.

By ‘bowed’ are you referring to what as a record dealer I’d refer to as being ‘dished’, i.e. the centre raised or lowered? If so I have no idea how that could occur given the machined nature of the construction. Anyone got an explanation?

I wonder if Ariston TT's suffer from similar issues? Didn't Castle Engineering make many parts for Ariston in days of yore?

Sounds more like tighter specs post 85. A dealer spoke of 20% of pre 85 outers may have fitting problems with Karousel inners. Still 160 quid for a new outer seems cheap c/w 50 quid for a belt.

Perhaps Linn's tolerances have been tightened up too much, requiring some old platters be consigned to eBay?

I don't know but I first heard of fit issues years ago. I know someone who bought a new platter and it would not fit on his old sub-platter. Linn offered to fix it but he had access to lathes and just took a skim off the inside of the platter.

The platter on my new LP12 build is not right. It is out of balance and causes bobbing of the suspension. I think it's been dropped but there are no dents or marks on it and it runs true. Trip to the dealer tomorrow and probably a new platter coming home with me :0(

At least the platter only cost £200, which for Linn is pretty reasonable. I used to sweat over the ceramic platter on the RP10 as that costs £800! Now that would be a kick in the nuts.

Perhaps it'll be prudent to take the inner platter with you just to make sure the new outer will fit, or it may be worth you getting the Karousel whilst you're at the dealer? In for a penny in for a pound ! :eek:

I’m pretty sure my current LP12 is more recent than 1985. It’s a retro fluted edition which was celebrating some Linn anniversary or other. Yes, it does seem odd that so many outers don’t immediately fit

I cannot comprehend that people would drop their platters or even treat them roughly. There has to be another explanation as to why the old platters don't fit. Even if they were dropped, the likelihood of it causing the issues discussed is next to zero, especially if there is no damage apparent.

advertisement

Back