advertisement

The John Westlake/Lakewest MDAC/FDAC, VFET and Detox

Jarek,
I don’t for ones millisecond think that you have any involvement in this other than working for John. I also agree with you that he could produce an outstanding MDAC2. He has the talent and knowledge. However, do I believe it will be delivered then I think the answer is no. Do I believe that it was an elaborate con, no. I just think he got side tracked too much and lacked the motivation to produce it. This got out of hand and I don’t believe there is any way back.
Good luck with your future developments.

JohnW is generous and a obviously a perfectionist. Not always a good combination. He fixed and improved my 909 for free. He surely spent hundreds of hours supporting MDAC for free here.

Does VFET also need that kind of perfection in design? I think he already has design in mind when he offered them.

Thanks Jarek!

I was involved in this near the beginning… it was never intended to be the ultimate DAC, just something better than the MDAC (accurate and ‘full bodied’ I recall) which most of us would be happy with (and an AV Bypass)

John can leave the ultimate DAC for FDAC in my opinion; I only want a DAC that is not one of these ultra linear ChiFi style/SINAD AudioScienceReview ESS AKM champions that can be picked up for a few hundred £

Best regards

Last edited:
I emailed him about the low phase noise crystals pointing out I am working with a company that is a large user of such devices and the device manufacturers are always keen to help. I said if he gave me the spec I would see what is available, not to be afraid to ask for help and we just want the project finished. No response.

Thanks Jarek!

I was involved in this near the beginning… it was never intended to be the ultimate DAC, just something better than the MDAC (accurate and ‘full bodied’ I recall) which most of us would be happy with

John can leave the ultimate DAC for FDAC in my opinion; I only want a DAC that is not one of these ultra linear ChiFi style/SINAD AudioScienceReview ESS AKM champions that can be picked up for a few hundred £

Best regards

I think you must be one of the kindest and most tolerant folk in this group, but I’m not sure I agree about the intent of the crowdfunded effort - John certainly said it was meant to be SOTA, although I suppose he said pretty much everything going about what it was going to be, from MDAC2 original case to CD drives, levels with ADC, and of course FDAC because it would be too big to fit in the original cases…

I really can’t imagine how you can be so keen to wait so long for a reasonably cheap DAC tho. For those that want state of the art… based on the MDAC2 which re-emerged to get something of some sort to people who didn’t want to wait for the FDAC, it’s gonna be a very long time. I imagine by then DACs will be some kind of nostalgic vintage audiophile equipment and we’ll all be brown bread.

Quote: "What have you achieved with your regular hate-speach here in the end? Nothing. Great performance...."
But I readily concede to you not wanting to face this question. Could you come namely to the same result, as my assumption.

What have you done that brings this project closer to completion?, all you do is whine to people here.

It was expected, but it was interesting. What has John not been accused of.
* He left the PFM behind for commercial projects.
* He has hawked "our" developments into other devices. and so on.
Now it has turned out, all not true. More than running Jarek as boss, John apparently didn't do.
The public admission that one or the other has made a mistake here / has overshot the mark in his accusations? Where are we getting to... Rather, there was the "but still..."
For the sake of completeness, I'll quote myself:
"... Unfortunately, this view overlooks that we, the users have made the feature list longer and longer. ...
Also, it's being studiously overlooked that the progress of things here has been quite transparent for a while. I can't remember any outcry when, for example, the ESS-DAC solution was buried. ...
Again, John is certainly no saint and blameless in the situation.... The handling of the VFET customers is outrageous. ...."

Now it has turned out, all not true. More than running Jarek as boss, John apparently didn't do.
The public admission that one or the other has made a mistake here / has overshot the mark in his accusations? Where are we getting to... Rather, there was the "but still..."
"... Unfortunately, this view overlooks that we, the users have made the feature list longer and longer. ...
Also, it's being studiously overlooked that the progress of things here has been quite transparent for a while. I can't remember any outcry when, for example, the ESS-DAC solution was buried. ...
Again, John is certainly no saint and blameless in the situation.... The handling of the VFET customers is outrageous. ...."

Working in software development, the users always want more and more features. This wont ever change.
Its down to us (the developers) and the project managers to manage expectations, set realistic and achievable goals with clear and understood timescales. That way we can release a v2, and certain features get bumped into a v3, v4 etc.
We could have already had an Mdac2, and possibly an Mdac3 had things gone differently and been better managed. Each could have been an improvement over the last, and that ongoing march of releases being delivered (both software and hardware) instills confidence from the user/customer.

It could be my job upon retirement in 2 1/2 years time. Come on John get your finger out. Ooh er missus.

You're rambling again, man! It's the medicine you're forgetting, man! Just keep quiet with your thougths! It's all right! And please don't quote yourself!

John is certainly no saint and blameless in the situation.... The handling of the MDAC customers is outrageous. ....

advertisement

Back